Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Trouble burning CDs

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble burning CDs

Ok. I am getting upset with my computer so I figured I would see if anyone on here might be able to help me with my situation before I take a hammer to my computer.

I have been running Nero 6.X for a number of years and it has always worked flawlessly. Sure there was the occasional 1 outa 15 or so failed burns but I can live with an occasional error like that. I know nothing is perfect. Now recently I tried to burn a CD and whenever the process would get up to about 80% or so it would fail, repeatedly. I tried 4 different brands of blank CDs and still nothing. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Nero 6.X to 'reset' it so to speak and still the same error.

I broke down and picked up the latest version of Nero, 8.2, and after installing it and testing it out it still does the same thing. Is the problem my CD drive? I doubt it. Its a Toshiba DVD+RW/CD-RW and it burns and plays dvds just fine and itll read any CD I put in it.

I understand that it could be ANYTHING as far as the problem goes but any tips or trick ya'll know would be great.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60
Ok. I am getting upset with my computer so I figured I would see if anyone on here might be able to help me with my situation before I take a hammer to my computer.

I have been running Nero 6.X for a number of years and it has always worked flawlessly. Sure there was the occasional 1 outa 15 or so failed burns but I can live with an occasional error like that. I know nothing is perfect. Now recently I tried to burn a CD and whenever the process would get up to about 80% or so it would fail, repeatedly. I tried 4 different brands of blank CDs and still nothing. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Nero 6.X to 'reset' it so to speak and still the same error.

I broke down and picked up the latest version of Nero, 8.2, and after installing it and testing it out it still does the same thing. Is the problem my CD drive? I doubt it. Its a Toshiba DVD+RW/CD-RW and it burns and plays dvds just fine and itll read any CD I put in it.

I understand that it could be ANYTHING as far as the problem goes but any tips or trick ya'll know would be great.

Thanks.
Interesting situation.
Go to your "My Computer" icon on the desk top. Right Click it, choose "Properties" then click on the Hardware tab. Next click the "Device Manager" button. Find the DVD/CD drive in the list and click on the "+" next to it. Check to see if there is a question mark or Exclamation Mark next to it. If there is then you probably have a driver issue. It possibly could have just gotten corrupted.
Anyway if you have the driver on disk or if you can download it from MSN or maybe the mfg site. You could right click on the drive while in Device manager and choose uninstall.
After that reboot the machine.
Windows will probably re install the driver on reboot after it recognizes that you have new hardware i.e. the DVD/CD drive.
You can let it try to find the driver on it's own. If that fails you'll need to point it to where ever you have the driver.
Even if you don't have the question/exclamation mark you might try uninstalling the drive via device manager. That will often fix such issues.
This may not be your problem but it's quite possible that it is.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you recently run any MS updates? If so did the issue start afterwards?

Also did you try slowing the write speed down to say 1-2x?

MikeyB
Old 03-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it might use a different laser to burn cd's have you tried a disc cleaner
Old 03-09-2008, 02:32 PM

There are two different CD types, music and data. I forget the exact numbers, but music CDs hold more information than a data CD. Data can of course be burned to a music CD.

It sounds like you may be trying to burn more data to a CD than it can hold, although I would have thought that Nero would check that before the burn.

Anyway, it's something you may want to check.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by TreeFarm
There are two different CD types, music and data. I forget the exact numbers, but music CDs hold more information than a data CD. Data can of course be burned to a music CD.
They are the exact same media.
I have some that I've had forever that are 650MB
The rest of my CDs are 700MB all are considered data but will also record music.
You may have issues with some older car stereos dealing with the 700MB discs but other than that they are the same. They print some as Music CDs so they can charge more for them but theres no difference.
If you're trying to burn too much Nero will tell you. Otherwise that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
They are the exact same media.
I have some that I've had forever that are 650MB
The rest of my CDs are 700MB all are considered data but will also record music.
You may have issues with some older car stereos dealing with the 700MB discs but other than that they are the same. They print some as Music CDs so they can charge more for them but theres no difference.
If you're trying to burn too much Nero will tell you. Otherwise that shouldn't be an issue.
I'll use your numbers.

The difference is one has a capacity of 650 MB, while the other is 700 MB. Therefore, a file larger than 650 MB can't be written to a 650 MB CD. Yes, Nero should catch it.

I am simply suggesting that the OP look at the file size he is trying to write and see if it is larger than the capacity of the CDs he has on hand. If it isn't, then move on. If it is, that might be the problem.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by TreeFarm
I'll use your numbers.

The difference is one has a capacity of 650 MB, while the other is 700 MB. Therefore, a file larger than 650 MB can't be written to a 650 MB CD. Yes, Nero should catch it.

I am simply suggesting that the OP look at the file size he is trying to write and see if it is larger than the capacity of the CDs he has on hand. If it isn't, then move on. If it is, that might be the problem.
Sorry wasn't intending to be argumentative. Just wanted to make sure that everyone knew that they didn't have to buy the "Music CD" to create music CDs. Most of you newer systems will not only play any size CD (with the exception of a DVD loaded with music files) but many will also play MP3 and WMA files.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:28 PM

I tired updating the drivers and windows "could not find a better driver than what I already have installed."
Its been over a year since my last reformat, perhaps I need to do it again.
Joy, I get to set aside a whole weekend just to backup and reformat.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 PM

Not sure if formatting is in order but it couldn't hurt.
Updating the driver might not be what you need. If the driver has been corrupted windows won't necessarily see that. It'll just see the driver is there.
If you uninstall first there won't be a driver there to compare to. It will then reload the driver from a file often created during the OS installation. I believe it's called a CAB file. This doesn't always get created though. That's the qwerky thing about windows it'll save off a group of drives on the hard drive during install but it won't save all drivers.
I've never understood the thinking or motives (other than money and power) of Bill Gates. Of course what a great place to be;
Build a poorly engineered software, sell it to the public and then fix it's issues after the fact!! Let the consumer do the R&D for ya.

Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60
I tired updating the drivers and windows "could not find a better driver than what I already have installed."
Its been over a year since my last reformat, perhaps I need to do it again.
Joy, I get to set aside a whole weekend just to backup and reformat.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you trying to burn the same files/music on to all of the CD's that failed? There are some file formats that nero cant read. Try to burn something different and see if it works.