Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Trip route suggestions please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a rush to make a 4000 mile trip... why not hire someone to deliver it to TX?

I'd imagine someone on uship.com or findahauler.com will surely get that trailer to you for less money and sooner.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:40 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
We checked and this is the cheapest. As we have to go north anyway, we are going to kill multiple birds with the same stone (trip) so in the long run even if someone else delivered the trailer to us, we are going to be ahead cost wise.
Whether I pick up the trailer or not, I still need to go to San Antonio and Lavon, Tx. My partner will be in Denver next week so he will meet me in Indianapolis and drive back with me as he has business in Houston and McAllen.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:04 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

scuzman00 and everybody else who has offered help and places to stay, thank you very much. Your offers are very much appreciated. As things stand right now I will not be taking up the offers of places to stay, but will take the info with me just in case I need it.
Been spending the last couple of days getting my truck ready for the trek. Today will be changing the drive train fluids and installing Redline. Yesterday I completed my guages (Diprocol FP, EGT and boost) installation. Only had the gauges (gages for you Yankees) sitting on the shelf for a year now, so it was time.
Leaving Paradise on Tuesday at about 5 a.m. and heading for points north - waaaaaay north.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:48 PM

I want to thank everybody who made suggestions for this trip. Went north via 69 to Joplin and then on to Indianapolis. Arrived there just in time for the golfball sized hail, severe rain and other 'nice' weather. No damage to my truck. Stopped in Austin at the ham store as it was only a few minutes off my path. On the way back thru Houston all your advice came in handy and I used the beltway. Was heading south on 59 onto the beltway (Sam Houston Pkwy) and got off on 59 south for a total time of about 25 minutes. Figured that was good time to get around Houston, especially towing a trailer. No tickets or problems for the entire trip. Max fuel price was $2.80/gal and minimum was $2.56/gal. Total milage came to 3,802 miles.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:07 AM

long haul

Stan, glad your trip came off well, specially your encounter with the ice ***** from the sky up north. Also glad that the ifo about the beltway saved you some time while outskirting the freeway hellhole in Houston. You probably saved over an hour fighting traffic, and thats not in rush hour around here. I hope all is well back in your casa down in sunny Mexico. Too bad you could not have stayed longer here. I would have treated you to some of my world class BBQ ribs and yard bird. Oh well, maybe next time thru. My offer stands any time you head up this way!!!

via con dios

Gary
Old 04-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Banned

You have no idea how much time you saved by taking the beltway. It might have cost a little bit more but trust me and everyone that lives in and around houston, it's worth every penny.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by scuzman00
I hope all is well back in your casa down in sunny Mexico. Too bad you could not have stayed longer here. I would have treated you to some of my world class BBQ ribs and yard bird. Oh well, maybe next time thru. My offer stands any time you head up this way!!!

via con dios

Gary
All is well in mi casa. Actually, since I have been back it is a bit too sunny as it has been unusually hot down here. At least we don't have the humidity.
Now why didn't you tell me about the your world class BBQ ribs earlier. I'm sure we coud have found time for a detour for that. Will remember for my next forage into your area.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:57 PM

Stan,
Keep my # handy and give me a yell b4 you head this way. They take 24 hours to prep and cook so a short notice will be required. I would be more than happy to cook you a slab or two for a final leg on a road trip. BTW my ribs are so messy off of the pit, you will not need any sauce, but beware, if you get the baste on your seat cushions while driving, you may have to pry yourself, (or have someone help you extricate you), at your next fuel stop or roadside leg stretch!!!!!! .

Glad you got home safe and sound, and enjoy the low humidity (unlike here).....

Gary
Old 04-24-2006, 09:56 PM

Thanks. May just do that, but don't head up your way too often. Go to San Antonio the most.