Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

trail marker trees

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
trail marker trees

Never heard of them before tonight. They were trees bent over in various fashions to point the way down a trail or to some destination.

There is a very large ash tree in the woods on some of the boss' property about a mile and a half south of me in the same canyon, that could be one. It's bent over and large enough it could be old enough to pre-date the white man in this area, and it points in the general direction of an Indian village that was up west of Stockville. The incorporation papers for Frontier County were signed in a teepee near it, using ink made from the soot on the teepee poles, because the man who drove a team down from North Platte with the papers forgot ink.

This is the same property where last winter, I was cutting firewood one evening, and knocking down some small hackberry trees on the edge of the field/pasture. I cut one down, shut the saw off, and got this feeling that I REALLY SHOULD NOT BE HERE RIGHT NOW and couldn't sleep the next two nights, let alone go outside to stoke my fire after dark.

I wonder if I wasn't cutting along an old Indian trail at the time.

I've been cutting cedars out of the pasture there this week, and whenever I go to step over the fence to get one outside the pasture, that feeling starts to come back. Step away from the fence and it goes away.

Say what you will, but someone/something REALLLLLYYY didn't like me being there that night, and it's making a little more sense to me as to a possible 'why?'.

And that tree points pretty much right past my house, and following this canyon on north would take you nearly half the way from that tree to where that village was.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a firm believer in ancient spirits. some people are more in touch with them than others. just respect them and leave their trails along, you'll be fine.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Any of my friends will tell you that even though I will jump out of my shoes at a loud noise or surprise attack by a critter, after I land, I am one of the most skeptical people they know.
I am the first to go into a "haunted house" and if given the right incentive will gladly spend the night in an old "spooky" cemetery.
In the military and working nursing I never had problems taking bodies to the morgue or pulling death watch.
When I was younger, my religious beliefs allowed me laugh at others who got nervous when in an older church late at night.

Yet there have been a few times that I have gotten so terrified of a certain location that I had to get the heck out of there.
One time my wife and I were scouting some property in a backwoods area of LA. Beautiful sunny day. She was walking off one side while I was doing the other. Without either one of us talking to the other or even being able to see or hear each other, we both wound up hurrying back to the car.
When we saw each other we jumped in the car and took off without saying a word.
Later we talked about how there was something out there that was evil.

I don't even really believe in evil but knew we had to leave that area.

Who knows. I sure don't. All I do know is that sometimes there are things or feelings that we just cant explain away.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 PM

Ever wish you weren't?

I've found there's a couple groups documenting the ones that are left. I am going to try to check with one (or both) of them about it.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:15 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I spent a lot of time in the desert around Needles as a younger man and know some ancient sites....

I get what you're saying.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Growing up in Neb I have heard the term. I remember asking my grandpa about a funny tree on his land (Fremont) and him just saying it's a trail marker. I never questioned it. I lived in Ogallala where there was a strong Indian heritage and many many acres of farm land that we would hunt on and also heard it used a few times from the older people when we would come across a strange shaped tree.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:24 PM

I emailed the one group, see what they have to say about it.

When I was about in 9-10th grades mom and some of her friends would go to old cemeteries "ghost hunting" and she'd say she felt like someone put their arm across her chest to stop her from going any farther and stuff like that. Really freaks your kids out. About that same time I also would wake up knowing I dreamt about something, but not knowing what. It terrified me because it might be a couple weeks or months, but something would be going on and I would know exactly who was going to say what and when they were going to say it. Only lasted a short time, maybe for that summer. Nothing bad ever, but I still hated it.

That's the first time I've ever told anyone about that.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bark
I don't even really believe in evil...
How do you explain Cincydiesel then?
Old 12-23-2013, 07:05 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by chaikwa
How do you explain Cincydiesel then?
Hey!
I never said I could come up with a rational explanation for all of the twisted weird strange things in this world.
Just most of them.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Administrator

You can drive yourself crazy thinking about things like this. The deeper you go the stranger it gets.

For instance, you know that white light everyone claims to see when they die but somehow come back to life? What if that white light is actually what we see when we are about to be born? Maybe our memory and our thoughts IS our soul and it goes from one body to another. The bodies are just hosts for the soul.

What if the air is really poisonous to us and it takes 60 to 80 years to kill us? We could live 200 years if we didn't have to breathe!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:14 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Supposedly, people from biblical times lived much longer because of purer air and so much less pollution.....

Chaikwa, what if we are born at night?!?
Old 12-24-2013, 05:18 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Supposedly, people from biblical times lived much longer because of purer air and so much less pollution.....

Chaikwa, what if we are born at night?!?
SOMEBODY is going to be there playing 'catch', and they're gonna need light to see what they're catching.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:10 PM

Bark, I've had some odd feelings before, but this was the first time it was anywhere near that bad.

I was there without the dog. I feel a lot better when he's around. And not acting goofy. If he jumps in the truck and refuses to come out it worries me a bit. The way he can hear coyotes and stuff when we're asleep he makes me feel a lot better.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:48 PM

Its funny you should mention that. Our last dog of many years died awhile back. We haven't gotten another one because of our traveling (and I am a crybaby).
We both miss him for the same reasons but one of the main ones was that his hearing, or sixth sense, or whatever it is, was so much better than ours.
If he was willing to sleep I knew it was ok for us to sleep.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
You can drive yourself crazy thinking about things like this. The deeper you go the stranger it gets.
What if the air is really poisonous to us and it takes 60 to 80 years to kill us? We could live 200 years if we didn't have to breathe!
As I have said before. You, my friend, have problems.
I have also lain awake wondering where God came from and been sleepless wondering how things work but I never thought about the air being poisonous.
Lary gave me something to keep me awake awhile back. Now you have replaced it.
Thanks .

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
What if we were born at night?!?
That's what the comets, the stars and the moon were put out for.
Also, if we wait for daylight, even if we can't see it, we can feel the waves from the sun. Even through dirt and concrete.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
I'm a firm believer in ancient spirits. some people are more in touch with them than others. just respect them and leave their trails along, you'll be fine.
I'm part Native American and know exactly what you mean. When I was a kid, such places scared the living daylights out of me. My mom taught me not to fear them, but to walk with them and learn from them. Alaska has a lot of hidden history if someone wanted to hear.

Quick Reply: trail marker trees