Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Toyota copies Dodge Megacab

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very FUGLY
Old 01-08-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Short of running an office out of your truck or having to sleep in your truck, I cant possibly see how you would need that much room.

It would be that office thing you spoke of.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by westcoaster
My '04 quad cab is the same overall length as my brother in law's GM extra cab. It just looks longer. and I would guess the same length as the old dodge extended cab as well. It is just that they have made the space more useable. I wouldn't want to trade my four real door quad cab for the old style as the kids (4 and 6 ) ride back there in their booster seats quite comfortably. For me it is the best of both worlds. rear doors that open independant of the front door and a short(er) frame length than I would have with a real crew cab.
I don't think the quad cab long boxes have been replaced by the megga cabs have they??
Overall length is really closer, but the interior space of the Dodge quad cab is larger than the GM extended cab.
Rear legroom
dodge - 40 (07 Quad Cab)
chevy - 33.7 (07 Silverado Classic 2500)
Old 01-08-2007, 03:53 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Thats just it. with the mega cab, you loose 1-1/2 ft of bed length.
the CC you can get a full sized bed, but the truck is so long then, to be drivable in most parking lots, you need the short bed, but that takes out that much bed length.
Something is going to have to give. parking lots are going to have to get bigger, turning radius will have to get tighter.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Thats just it. with the mega cab, you loose 1-1/2 ft of bed length.
the CC you can get a full sized bed, but the truck is so long then, to be drivable in most parking lots, you need the short bed, but that takes out that much bed length.
Something is going to have to give. parking lots are going to have to get bigger, turning radius will have to get tighter.
I didn't loose any bed length when I traded my QC SWB for my Megacab.

I spend almost 1000 hours a year behind the wheel of my truck. It is my office, my tow vehicle, my kids limo etc. I have driven it into downtown Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Denver and pretty much every highway in Iowa and Nebraska. Maneuvering it has never been a problem, but I don't spend half a day to get into that front parking spot. I park in an open area further back with all the other BIG truck owners.

There is an application for the megacab. You don't have to like it. You definitely don't have to buy it. But there is no question that many people feel the need to own one, including myself.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 PM

no, you didn't loose any bed length, you gained a foot and a half wheel base.
Not all parking lots allow for parking in the north 40. I would rather have the shorter wheel base with more bed. again, personal choice.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd rather have an AMC Gremlin with a well designed Diesel engine in it.

Personal choice is beautiful, ain't it?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:02 PM

This line cracks me up...

“Tundra was 100% customer driven, developed to appeal to an influential group of truck buyers who treat their trucks as a tool,”

I wonder if they ever heard the line "you are what you drive".......
Old 01-09-2007, 01:54 PM

Some of us need and want the extra passenger room.

I need a vehicle to pull a trailer AND 3-4 people to the racetrack in comfort. Sometimes long distances. The Chevy and Ford crewcabs are OK, but once you do a long trip in a MegaCab it's a BIG difference. When you not driving you can actually get some decent quality sleep by laying across the seat bottoms or folding down the back seats and making a "sleeper cab" with blankets or an inflatable mattress.

It's the best setup for me.

If you don't need a crew or X-tra cab then don't buy one.

But don't criticize those who find that configuration very useful.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

I for one miss the BAJESUS out of my old crew cab powerstroke. That thing had so much room in there. It was nice being able to have 3 of my buddies jump in the back ( who I might add are all over 6' tall ) and still have plenty of room. Now I can't even fit two of my buddies in the extended cab of my stupid truck Plus trying to squeeze a car seat in the extended cab sucks too!

If I never had anybody ride with me or had no friends at all......then yeah the extended cab would be fine.......but trying to fit a few big guys in a tiny cab just plain sucks!

I'm not a huge fan of the Mega-cabs in stock from....but throw a little lift on there and some meaty tires and

~Nick
Old 01-09-2007, 03:12 PM

I didn't mean to criticize anyone for buying a megacab. What I see is many, many of these trucks with ONE person in the truck at any time (yea, I see the same trucks frequently) I seen these trucks at the hardware store trying to park next to the door and taking three or four attempts to get their truck turned right to sorta get in one spot.
I must not have any friends, since I can get by with a two seated truck as is.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

Trying owning a lifted powerstroke!!! Them things turn like tanks....haven't gotten to drive a megacab yet so I can't comment on them.

~Nick
Old 01-09-2007, 03:26 PM

See, to me, that looks like the person cant drive. If its their fault or the truck simply cant do it, it still looks like the driver doesn't know what they are doing.
The majority of the time, im in industrial areas so the roads are big enough for semis, but when I get home, some of hte roads aren't wide enough for two mini trucks to pass without someone putting a tire off the pavement. Now, try turning or negotiating an intersection with roads that wide? it gets tricky, even in a mini truck.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Banned

Oh I know.....I managed to get the hang of mine and could park that thing on a dime......but most other guys around here can't park them to save their lives!

~Nick
Old 01-10-2007, 08:30 AM

I have a reg cab swb and I have trouble in some parking lots. It's all in how they are designed, angled lots are easy, others, not so easy especially if they are close together. And forget about parking garages.

I got a reg cab because I don't take a lot of people around, thats why my roommate has a quad cab . I have plenty of room for all kinds of stuff behind my seats, and thats with them all the way back . The only reason I'm getting a quad cab is because reg cabs are impossible to find.