Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Toyota copies Dodge Megacab

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota copies Dodge Megacab

Just finished reading about the new Tundra at the Detroit Auto Show. The article states it has 381 horsepower. All they did was copy the Megacab, and renamed it Crewmax. I still like the Megacab a lot more.

Here is the story:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...8/0/BUSINESS03
Old 01-07-2007, 03:09 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

There has been talk of that truck for a while now. along with a possible C6 or C7 for the upcoming year model. with obvious truck enhancements of course.

but neither truck does anything for me.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:09 PM

It looks OK but I like the Tacoma better.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:54 PM

Dear Toyota and Dodge:

Please stop this MegaCab/CrewMAx foolishness. Why don't you guys just bite the bullet and make your Crew Cab configurations on par with GM's and Ford's? I don't ever recall someone saying they didn't have ENOUGH room in the back seat of a Ford or GM Crew Cab truck. Why do you insist on making your crew cabs so large that they begin to look like cartoons?

Sheesh....
Old 01-07-2007, 10:01 PM

It still remains, when I buy a Truck, I buy a Truck (read, that's a regular cab.)

if I don't need a truck, we'll take the car.

I was quite dissapointed that the Nissan Titan was not offered as a regular cab as well.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by truckjunkie
Dear Toyota and Dodge:

Please stop this MegaCab/CrewMAx foolishness. Why don't you guys just bite the bullet and make your Crew Cab configurations on par with GM's and Ford's? I don't ever recall someone saying they didn't have ENOUGH room in the back seat of a Ford or GM Crew Cab truck. Why do you insist on making your crew cabs so large that they begin to look like cartoons?

Sheesh....
Actually, mine has started to grow on me. After ordering, I thought I made a mistake. Even after signing the papers, I had an afterthought.

I truly believe they are somewhat ugly in OEM form. But mudflaps, boards, and man-sized tires make it look alright.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:09 PM

More like
Dear Dodge.
Would you please bring back the extended cab. I dont need to haul around 15 people in my pickup, but I do occationally need to get into a parking lot. An extended cab truck has an 8' bed and enough room behind the seats to throw a couple bags, a rifle case and a few bags of groceries when its raining.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
It still remains, when I buy a Truck, I buy a Truck (read, that's a regular cab.)

if I don't need a truck, we'll take the car.

I was quite dissapointed that the Nissan Titan was not offered as a regular cab as well.

Unfortunately, my truck is my car. My only vehicle - not married. If I was to buy a second, it would be a bush buggy for hunting.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
More like
Dear Dodge.
Would you please bring back the extended cab. I dont need to haul around 15 people in my pickup, but I do occationally need to get into a parking lot. An extended cab truck has an 8' bed and enough room behind the seats to throw a couple bags, a rifle case and a few bags of groceries when its raining.
Fronty, I think some do have a need. A large representation of the population - heck no. I will admit that having the room is nice. I'm currently waiting to fire up my business and go consulting as soon as some contracts get signed (oil companies move like molasses), but I can see where the space will be very handy - one of the only reasons why I bought the MegaCab.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:24 PM

Short of running an office out of your truck or having to sleep in your truck, I cant possibly see how you would need that much room.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:33 PM

Actually I use the room everyday. I could stand to have less legroom and more storage behind the seat. I will spend most of the time in the driver's seat, but at 6'4" when the wife is taking her turn behind the wheel, it's nice to have the ability to slouch and recline and not hit the seat in front of me.

Behind the seats I have all kind of gear and I store my gym bag back there. The seat and the floor are always open for groceries. It's a truck with a trunk that can seat 5 very comfortably. I am part of the niche that it serves very well.

Like was said above, it looks great with 35's or more but not so great stock. The duallys are gorgeous when set with the 19.5's.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:46 PM

More like
Dear Dodge.

Now That I can agree with! I really liked the configuration of the rear-hinged doors so you could easily pop stuff into and out of the back seat. I don't own one as with an 8' bed they get quite long, but IF I considered a 5-passanger truck, I would certanily think about a quad-cab with a 6.5' bed.

And I DO own a car - a little '91 Accord automatic that I picked up from my sister last year. Saves about $30 a week in gas if I take it for tooling around town and to work. Really wish it was a five-speed, but oh well...
Old 01-07-2007, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by truckjunkie
Dear Toyota and Dodge:

Sheesh....
GOOD POST. Crew cab 8 ft bed, Why is that so hard for Dodge to build?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:18 PM

I am very happy with the Mega. I believe it to be just the right size.
Oh, wait thats why I bought it!

Small cars, extended cabs and regular cabs are for people who want small cars, extended cabs, and regular cabs. Oh, wait thats why they buy them!

Toyota & Nissan are kind of like democrats, they wait to see what is popular then they make their move.

Sound thinking actually!!

Old 01-07-2007, 11:33 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
More like
Dear Dodge.

My '04 quad cab is the same overall length as my brother in law's GM extra cab. It just looks longer. and I would guess the same length as the old dodge extended cab as well. It is just that they have made the space more useable. I wouldn't want to trade my four real door quad cab for the old style as the kids (4 and 6 ) ride back there in their booster seats quite comfortably. For me it is the best of both worlds. rear doors that open independant of the front door and a short(er) frame length than I would have with a real crew cab.
I don't think the quad cab long boxes have been replaced by the megga cabs have they??

Quick Reply: Toyota copies Dodge Megacab