Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Took the rear seat out, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took the rear seat out, now what?

Well I got bored today so I just took the back seat out of the truck. I don't sit back there anyway, unless I'm drunk and my wife won't let me ride in the front seat. Anyway, looking for ideas on what to do with all this new cargo space. It's great! So much potential. Dog still has to have his main lounge back there, but I was considering building in some storage shelves/bins, with a permanant rifle rack and a couple hooks for hanging up coats and hunting back pack on the back wall, etc. Still contemplating the floor. It looks like the blocks that the seat bolted to will come out if you pull up the carpeting and all, don't know if I should go through all that, might just work around them. A flat floor would be nice, could make one out of plywood I reckon. Looking for other cool ideas!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:30 PM

dang, you really do have some time on your hands..

I can see it now... Dang I'm Bored...Think I'll just take the back seat out of the truck.. haha

hmmmm...let me think on it...
Old 07-06-2006, 02:34 PM

The reg cabs had a pretty cool set up against the back wall that I saw in some pics that you could use to build your custom set up around.

I have the original brochure for my '97 and if that would'nt work in your '99 I don't know why.
Or just use the ideas.
It has a cab width floor tray, adjustable height bins and a cargo net.

Jimmy
Old 07-06-2006, 07:44 PM

That's pretty much how it went! I got in the truck this morning, noticed a musty smell. Looked around, saw a few drops of water on the rear passenger door & window. Checked it out, had a bunch of water in the back corner. Pulled up the plastic trim along the floor by the doors, water actually started running out onto the ground. Pulled up the carpeting, the underside & padding is SOAKED from the seat to the tranny hump, and the whole front floor pan. So I pulled the back seat out, pulled up carpeting, sponged, shop vac'd, etc. Then I decided not to put the seat back in.

I ended up taking out the seatbelts and the blocks that hold the rear seat up. Then I cut a piece of plywood to go from the back wall to the back of the seat tracks, and bolted it down to the spacer that runs the width of the cab along the back wall on the floor. Then I cut some lumber to support the front edge and screwed it down. Took my browning gun holders, the ones with the suction cups and the grippy holders. Took the screws out and removed the suction cups, then screwed them to the back wall under the window. Tomorrow I'm gonna put some indoor/outdoor carpeting on the platform, make a little lip to run around the outside edges to keep stuff from sliding off, make a little divider to keep the dog's bed from sliding, etc. Kinda cool, I'm sure I'll think of some more things to add, so it will be fully customized.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shelves, fridge, subwoofer(s), fireproof vault welded to the floor, this list goes on and on...
Old 07-06-2006, 09:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
A large box with subwoofers (one behind each front seat). Not only will that rattle whatever you're near, they double as massagers for your seats. A buddy had a couple of 15s mounted in the back seat of his early 90s Mustang. If you could stand the noise, the seat felt like one of those vibrating recliners.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Banned

You can fit 8, 12" subs in the back of a quad cab dodge.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:42 PM

Secret compartment is ESSENTIAL. Make it waterproof too...
Old 07-06-2006, 10:15 PM

Yeah, I didn't box in the ends, so you can look under the platform from one side to the other. I took a little parts bin and screwed it to the support under there, so I can keep small stuff like shotgun shells under there. Speakers would be cool I guess, I'd have to have someone hook them up though, I think. Don't know the first thing about wiring them.

I really like having a platform now. I think it'll be perfect during the winter, I can keep a big plastic box with all my hunting clothes, coveralls, coats, boots, hats, gloves, scent lock stuff, etc in it, and slide it over to one side. Keep my rifle in the rack, hang my back pack & rattling horns in there, keep some spare shells in the little bin, I'll be set. You can carry plenty of tools in there without tearing up the seat. Might make a little bracket or something so a bucket won't turn over. Oh, of course I need some tie downs for the in-cab cooler. This is getting better and better, wish I'd thought of it a long time ago.