Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: How many of you use(d) tobacco?
cigarettes
19.31%
cigars
6.21%
pipe
2.07%
chewing tobacco
7.59%
snuff*
14.48%
never used it
28.97%
have stopped using it
21.38%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Tobacco

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's see, I smoke (cigars normally and a cigarette on occasion), I've dipped (won't do that ever again), and now I chew. I love a nice plug of Red Man on a road trip. It just kinda smoothes things over. Been doing that since I was 17 (now I'm 18). My roommate is trying to quit smoking. He went from 2 packs a day to only 4 cigarettes a day. He's been stuck on that 4 thing for almost 4 weeks now though. I enjoy a cold beer bout once a day. If not that, then a nice scotch on the rocks. Both with a nice plug of Red Man. I am not addicted by any means to either though. I can go months without either. I've only recently been able to start drinking again because I've been sick for the past month (turned out to be mono for those who remember the thread I started a while ago). I also quit dipping during that entire time. I also don't dip on the weekends (girlfriend and parents would kill me). I also only do it once a day. Usually when I enjoy my cold beer. It just kinda rounds out the day. Usually. The only times I deviate from that is when I shoot pool or go on really long road trips.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:24 AM

I enjoy a good chew of RedMan Golden Blend on a good road trip (keeps you going in the middle of the night), working with my horses on the farm.outdoor work, and at the bars (I dont drink as much beer when i do so). I dont consider myself a regular user, a pouch will last me a month or two, and when if dries out, add a little whiskey to moisten it up a bit
Old 03-02-2004, 10:46 AM

Peer pressure at 12 years old got me started on cigs. I quit 15 years later in March of 86 and have not had one since. Ran out of gigs and never bought anymore. Wife smokes and sometimes I get tempted but hate to give up 18 years of smoke free. Cold beer is another story, even have extra mule to carry coolers, even if it is for a day ride into the desert.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by matthopp
I enjoy a good chew of RedMan Golden Blend on a good road trip (keeps you going in the middle of the night), working with my horses on the farm.outdoor work, and at the bars (I dont drink as much beer when i do so). I dont consider myself a regular user, a pouch will last me a month or two, and when if dries out, add a little whiskey to moisten it up a bit
Hmm. Never thought of that. I'm like you. A pouch lasts quite a while for me. I'm gonna try that whiskey trick. You just put a couple of drops in and shake it up or something?
Old 03-02-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by BigBlue
Hmm. Never thought of that. I'm like you. A pouch lasts quite a while for me. I'm gonna try that whiskey trick. You just put a couple of drops in and shake it up or something?
I usually add in just enough to make it moist again. Could be a shot or two; just depends on how much you have remaining and how much whiskey you want in there.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:42 PM

Dip Skoal straight long cut at the shop when no visitors are there, and smoke Camels at home, momma don't like me spitting with her watching TV , but the Skoal did help me get down from 3-4 packs a day to only about 1-1 1/2. Momma also smokes Camels, so they are always sending us the coupons to get $ off cartons, since we buy 2 at a time, last 2 she bought cost about $29 total. Can't wait to go back to Brazil, they are only 6-8$ a carton down there. I think the last trip I brought back 8 cartons, this time I might try 10-15 cartons and see if I can get by customs.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:30 PM

Yeah, my first dip of "Happy Days Mint" (Other Old Schoolers remember this stuff)chew made me sicker than a dog as well......but....I worked at it and kept on trying, and after 23 years, I had built myself a very nasty and controlling addiction. I always get a chuckle when some poor guy says "I'm not addicted". Well, I've been off it for over two years now, and I still struggle daily. I get weak when I smell a fresh can of Cope....

When I first quit I actually thought about picking up "used" chew from the ground....nah not really, but it was BAD. I didn't sleep, had nightmares when I did, I was a mess. I play in a band with a guy that used to be a serious heroine junky, and he said that the dope was was much easier to kick than Copenhaggen!

You guys that are still using, I don't preach or lecture, but I now know that what the sweet creature has been saying since we first met is true. YOUR BREATH REEKS!! Guys believe me, more smoochin' leads to more lovin', both of which have increased dramatically for me since I quite. Made the nightmares worth it. PM me if you want to hear my technique for quitting. I'm not selling anything, I'll just tell you what worked for a hard-core like me.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:33 PM

Copenhagen 31 years, quit 4 1/2 years ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Docs say that copenhagen is the worst for your arteries, and no lie it was the hardest thing to over come. Goodluck to all and hope you all get rid of it. I started when I was around 7 yrs old. Rick
Old 03-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went from 3.5-4 packs a day to 0 “cold turkey”. This was due to the fire falling off and me nearly turning the truck over getting stopped but that’s another story. I was in a slightly bad mood for about 6months and got thrown out of one warehouse for kicking two fork lift drivers tails but other than that it was a piece of cake.
Now for reality the only time I still want one is first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, but I know if I ever start again I’ll never be able to stop again so I’ll not let myself.
Haven’t had one in 20 years
Old 03-03-2004, 07:01 PM

Everytime I try to quit I start to verbally pick fights with people. I must be miserable to be around. Also, when I first started I thought It wasn't hard to stop for a few days or a few weeks at a time, so I kind of put it in my head that it is not that tough to stop. Well after a dozen years of dipping I know better.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:18 PM

Silvercreek straight chewing tobbaco been doing it since dec. 1984 to long, but the tobbaco makes my legs be relaxed, muscle spams are real bad due to paralysis from broke back. Used to do wacky weed 20 yrs ago for spasms helped a whole lot but stay with chewing tobbaco now.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:47 PM

Copenhagen......buy it by the roll now, it's about a buck cheaper per can. I spit it out to eat, sleep, and ...uhhhhh....same reason I take my boots off. Off and on for about 10 years, along with Red Man, Levi Garrett, and Hawken. For the last ten it's been all Cope, all the time. Got my wife started on it too so I don't have to spit it out when we smooch, and she doesn't complain about spit cups left next to the computer....

Wintergreen Skoal=starter dip
Any other flavor Skoal=chick dip

I get plenty of smoke at work, and vegetation or "house contents" are not my brand....
Old 03-05-2004, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you really want to quit you need to move here, Im in the land of the beautiful ones, so they think, hehe,haha, If you are in public smoking ,you will be looked upon as satan himself, a foul and desperate individual whom is willing to die for the sake of yourown selfish pleasures and kill everyone around you from the second hand effects. you will either have to start your own compound and invite your own kind ,or be alienated by all of society. you know how them converted smokers are
truthfully, you gotta just learn to hate doing it.
unfortunately Ive smoked just about everything and chewed as well. just dont try A+M for horses,(dont ask) it will really clean your pipes out if you know what I mean.
Gotta go, time for a smoke break!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2004, 03:22 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
I wonder how many of you chewers have seen the pictures of the guys with cancer in their lips, gums, tongue and cheeks. Ain't pretty pictures. Yeah, I know, it can't happen to you because you chew so little......
Also saw a picture once of a diehard smoker that smoked thru a hole in his throat. Did any of you see that news story a few days ago about the guy that opted to go to jail for 24 months in lieu of 20 months just so that he could go to a jail that allowed smoking.
No matter how you look at it, tobacco is addictive and once hooked it is very hard to quit. So why start? There are zero advantages to it.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:39 PM

Stan, if I wasn't enjoying a nice dip of fresh Copenhagen right ow, I'd reach through cyberspace and choke the daylights out of you
I can't even stand being around myself when I run out of Cope, so I guess one advantage is that I don't choke people, and hence stay out of prison.

I've seen first hand what riding horses, driving motorized conveyances (while sober as a judge), operating dangerous machinery, playing with fire, and a multitude of other risky activites can do to you as well, and it hasn't deterred me in the least.

I run into burning buildings when everybody with the sense God gave a dog is running out. I run toward the burning weeds instead of away from them.

I guess I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed......but momma thinks I'm the shiniest

Then again, I don't recommend anybody take up my bad habits.....

Quick Reply: Tobacco