Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Front or Rear?
Bad on the front because you have steering control in case of a blowout.
16.25%
Bad on the rear because the truck drives better with good tires on the front.
76.25%
Haven't really thought about it.
7.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Tires....Two Good and Two Bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wv smoker
I Don't ride on bad tires- except maybe to get to the next exit.........
I was hoping SOMEONE would say that! If you can't afford good tires all the way around sell the truck, use the money to go back to school and get a better job!! Even good used tired are $40 each here.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_burner
It will be easier to control the pick-up if a rear blows instead of a front.
Totally agree. See gallery for blowout on front.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Banned

The better tires go on the rear.

Only replacing 2 tires?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:49 PM

On the Dodge, I keep pretty good tires all around, but on my old Ford I would always keep the best on the back for traction (2wd in a soupy pasture with bald rears aint good).

I have had 2 blowouts on the front of the Ford, both on I-95, and just eased over to the shoulder, no problem. (I don't know how the dodge would react as a ISB weighs quite a bit more than a 300 I-6)

But anyway, I think the best plan is to keep fairly good tires all around, and in the case of a blowout, it's the driver's reaction, not the tire location that makes the biggest difference. (again I've never had one go in the back)
Although there are millions of variables that could determine whether you drive away on a spare, or in an ambulance.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
When rotating tires, I always put the least-worn on the rear, as the rears wear faster and will keep the wear even among all 4 tires. Eventually, all 4 will be worn out and will be replaced as a set.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:23 PM

One should not be driving in bad conditions when one knows their tires are not up to par.

If you must though, worst tires in the back, best ones on the front.

People argue the back will swing out.. Well with bad front tires how are they going to do any steering? Lol...
Old 10-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Banned

according to how much you like your dually fenders
Old 10-15-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller

You can't compare semi-trucks to little toy pick-up trucks.

A semi has a tandem rear with dual tires on the rear; whereas, there are only single tires on the steer axle.

On a four, or six, wheeled vehicle, it is much easier to control a blown tire on the steer axle, than it is on the rear.

Plain old physics also come into play in this, as the rear will drop down suddenly, in the event of a blown tire, making loss of control much more likely.

It is not such a shock to steering dynamics to have the front drop at speed, especially if loaded, or pulling a trailer.

Also, better tread on the front can lead to the rears losing traction and trying to overtake the front, especially on a front-wheel drive vehicle.
I very strongly disagree! Ever go around a left turn corner and have the right front blowout? The vehicle drops, unloads the left front, the right front rim comes in contact with the pavement. Then the vehicle will slide to the to the ditch, with the rim digging in to the gravel. Once the rim hits the dirt on the other side of the gravel, the rim digs deeper to the softer dirt and then ya start to roll! Ok maybe this is a little extreme, but it has happened.
Now same situation, but the right REAR blows out this time. Rear of the car comes around, you counter steer, you have 2 options:
1. you can mash the go pedal and loop it around and possibily have some of the vehicle cross the center line or
2. you can mash the brake pedal and prolly end up around 90* from where you intially were. Rear of the vehicle is in the gravel and front is in your lane yet.

If you have a trailer loaded your prolly gonna be in trouble either way so you better have good treads on the truck.

Just my .02 cents. Bret