Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Tire Pressure and Shocks Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 02:53 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tire Pressure and Shocks Question

Didn't know where else to ask these questions so I figured the Other forum was as good a place as any. <br><br>Tire Pressure<br>With the truck below and the factory E rated Michelins....with no load 95% of the time....what pressure should I run front and rear? The little Michelin book I got in my manual says 45 psi front and 40 psi rear...but this sounds too low to me...especially for the front with that heavy engine. What do you guys recommend? I'm not too concerned about the ride. I was thinking 60 psi all the way around. What do y'all think?<br><br>Shocks<br>In light of the comments above...and assuming that like Ford, Dodge installs cheap shocks, what are some good shocks I can put on this truck to help keep the rock hard tires from bouncing me off the road?
Old 06-18-2003, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Tire Pressure and Shocks Question

I would run 45psi all the way around. For shocks Procomp has a good deal on Procomp3000s. But theres also Rancho and others. Check your messeges.

SD03
Old 06-18-2003, 03:01 PM

Check what messages??<br><br>Is 45 psi enough to support a thousand pound engine...plus the weight of the truck??<br><br>Speaking of....without having a set of scales handy, how would a person go about finding the weight on their truck? Is it on a sticker somewhere?
Old 06-18-2003, 03:03 PM

My dad run 45psi all the way around on the Excursion and he has the 44gal tank in the back and plus the weight of the motor which is heavier than the Cummins. And it rides smooth.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:04 PM

I thought the Cummins was heavier than the PSD??

Check YOUR messages.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:14 PM

Check YOUR messeges...
Old 06-18-2003, 03:15 PM

I don't have a diesel, but I do run load range E tires (max psi 80). I am running about 65 psi all the way around, all the time. I know the 318 in my truck doesn't weigh near what the Cummins does, but I did put a 245 lb full replacement Ranchhand bumper on the front, and a steel bumper on the back, so I have a little extra weight up front. I also put coil springs from a V-10 Dodge up front and an extra leaf in the rear. As far as shocks, I am running Monroe Sensatracs, but I may try the Rancho 5000's next time.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:19 PM

One more observation. I have about 45,000 miles on the Kelly tires I have on my truck right now. They are load range E (80 psi max). They seem to wear better when I run more air in them (65 - 70 psi). I ran 45 psi for a while at first, and they seemed to wear around the edges more, instead of wearing evenly across the tread. A couple thousand more miles, and I will be ready for some more.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:22 PM

That's kind of what I thought. To me...as long as you're not OVERINFLATING....having more air in the tires should make them wear less because there is less friction with the road. Correct??
Old 06-18-2003, 03:25 PM

Ya but Hoss wont be towing anything even if you do tow something Hoss run your tires up to 50-60psi max.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:29 PM

Why? Not that I don't believe you or agree with you...I'm just wondering why you say that. I was thinking 60psi all the way around would be good. That's what I ran on my old Ford and it seemed to....well, those tires weren't wearing very good. :
Old 06-18-2003, 03:39 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

I run my Michelins at 45 psi all round with no load. Increase the pressure accordingly with a load. I used to stop often, specially on a long run and feel the tires for heat. Never found them to be particularly hot so have stopped doing that. Unless I am doing a few hundred miles at high speed then I always check all my tires, car and truck, as soon as I stop for excess heat.
The Rancho 9000 9 position adjustable shocks also made an improvement in the ride. Did not go for the remote setting as I was too cheap. It is easy to adjust from the outside for the few times I need to change the setting. Fronts are a bit awkward, but not bad.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:43 PM

I'm running 80psi in all 6 tires right now, mainly because I never let the air out of them after towing. : It's not too bad of a ride, but I'm also running the Rancho 9000's w/ the in-cab remote so I can adjust to any of the 9 settings inside the cab while driving... anyhow... I normally run about 70psi throughout the &quot;non-towing&quot; season (winter). <br><br>Tony
Old 06-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Banned

I'm running my tires at 50psi all the way around with a set of Pro Comp shocks. Truck rides great and the tire wear is nice and even on all 4 tires. The difference between stock shocks and aftermarket shocks is night and day. I didn't think it would be that big of a difference but it is. There is no bounce anymore. You go down, but you don't pogo stick. The truck is very flat in the curves.

The Cummins does weigh more than the PSD. Did you forget the size of the connecting rods we have in these engines?
Old 06-18-2003, 04:19 PM

But the Cummins is inline6 and PSD is V8. I would think that the PSD weighs in a little more cause of its form.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure and Shocks Question