Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Tip the Pizza Delivery Person?
Yes
93.84%
No
6.16%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

to tip or not to tip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Don't be a tight wad.....tip the pizza delivery person...the stomach you save may be your own
Old 02-13-2008, 11:56 AM

Location: Hutchinson, KS (yup, finally sold the house in OKC!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, tip!

i always tip the delivery driver. Shucks, I even tip the car hop at the Sonic!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:48 PM

I can understand a tip for a wait person but why for a delivery driver? They took the job understanding they were going to have to use their POV. Where is the service level that I need to evaluate to determine the tip value? While being served in a restaurant it is easy to determine the level of service delivered but when ordering pizza, its either there or it isnt. I dont see a tip as necessary. I know I said that I felt bad not giving a tip, but after reading other views, I think I will just stick with the wife from now on, but suggest that I pick the pizza up on the way home instead of delivery.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM

Tip them...

Usually I use standard rates for food - 15% unless thier service is poor. If it's snowing outside, or it's beena really rough day traffic-wise, I'll give them a little extra.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A waitress walks from one side of a room to the other to bring you your food and you generally tip 15%-20% (customary). But people find it hard to tip the guy who drives across town to bring you your pizza? In the rain/sleet/snow/cold/heat? Some of you guys must get cold pizza with few toppings delivered to your house. And deservedly so....
Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM

pizza drivers get minimum wage plus tips. been there done that.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:18 PM
I watch wind blow...

TIP TIP TIP, everyone can use a pick me up.. if it take 45-1hour to get your pie. its most likely not the drivers fault.. always ask what the ETA is. if its to long for you call another pizza chain.

I mow yards for a living, when i get a tip it makes ME feel good, heck today i tipped the oil change guy $5bucks. generally if you perform a service for me i will tip you.

when i go to the local discount tire for my FREE rotate, balance i always make sure to have cash on me to tip them..

i work hard for the change i do or dont have, but i am the first to give it out WHEN necessary.

thats how i feel about it anyways

(EDIT)
P.S. my buddy used to drive for a big chain pizza place, they had an ongoing "garden knome, Honor Student, ornamental iron etc..." collection at there p-lace of business for poor tippers HAHAHA
Old 02-13-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by soulezoo
Yes, tip them... like said above, compensation is poor at best. The "delivery charge" is often not passed to the driver.

Pizza is a low margin business... meaning the company is not making a lot and there is not a lot to pass on to the driver.

When dairy goes up... cheese is dairy... dairy drove up mostly by the cost of fuel. Paper went way up due to pulp shortages; that cardboard box it is delivered in went way up too... meat increases and etc...

Tip the poor driver. Face it, if he had a bunch of money to begin with, he would not be delivering pizzas.
Good post, imo!

We usually tip unless the driver is crazy late (and the pizza cold). The first time I order form a pizza place, I'll tip up to $5 if it gets there soon. Drivers remember that.

I expect to see younger acne-faced kids delivering pizzas. It breaks my heart to see older guys and gals doing it-- that tells me they have a pretty rough life going on (albeit usually due to their own decisions).

jmo
Old 02-13-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
We usually tip unless the driver is crazy late (and the pizza cold). The first time I order form a pizza place, I'll tip up to $5 if it gets there soon. Drivers remember that.

Not around here. I don't think I've seen the same driver twice in the 4 yrs. I've lived in my house.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always tip them. I live in the middle of no where so they get a tip thats more than what the 1 pizza cost! Normally from 6-12 dollars depending if its a delivery girl or guy
Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the early 90's i used to deliver pizza's to make ends meet.
I got $2 an hour plus 50c commission + tips. They treated us like sub contractors, like most pizza places.
The notorious non tippers got their food last. Believe you me the drivers know the customers in their area and remember the non tippers.
I always tip at least $3 or more. I also get my food fast.
Oh ya if you've ever been to my house I'm amazed they can find it. And they deliver to the Cave when i have a wrenchin day.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Administrator

I thought delivered pizza was just a myth from the movies!

chaikwa.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:56 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

one of my buddies in college delivered for a national chain.
he got $1/pizza delivered. deliveries were done in between loads of dishes. if deliveries were heavy, he worked later and harder to finish the dishes.
Im not sure about every place, but there, the delivery person had a full time job that he was getting behind on in the process.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 PM

The only time that I order delivery is when I'm at a hotel out on the road so there's no repeat factor but I generally tip 15-20% to the driver unless the order is really screwed up.

My question (sorry to hijack the thread) is - how do you tip the "wait staff" at a buffet eatery (Golden Corral, Ryans, etc.)? Usually they refill drinks, bring a basket of rolls, and clear plates. I go get my own food. Do they get the same % tip as you give a waiter/waitress at a full-service restaurant where they bring you your meal?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Chapter President

Wink Your darn right you better tip, my "bombs" are on the line!!!

Well now, as a current driver for a certain "hut" shaped pizza chain. I can say, yes please tip the driver!!!!!!! Like stated before when not on a delivery we do dishes and prep for the next day or the current shift depending on the time of day. When we do a credit card delivery it has a tip line for you to fill out even. Many do not tip because they don't know they should, But lets all remember what T.I.P. stands for, TO INSURE PROMPTNESS or Prompt service. As for the amount I believe the going rate is 15% -20% of the total check. So far the main non tippers are teenagers and college kids, and folks who are mad about the time for delivery and those who know no better.

As for the ETA on a pie, Our restaurant has an expected delivery time which changes based on order load. We do not have a guarantee, but it seems the days of 30 mins or free are still fresh in many folks minds. Domino's may have resurrected it but not here, when some one 15 miles away orders 20 pizzas they would always get them free. Tips are an important part of this job for me at least. Yes I did sign on knowing I would use my own vehicle, and the job does pay minimum wage and even 1.20 per run for gas.

But believe me I fall all over my self for the customers. I make sure I have all the condiments with me, and I double check the bags against the tickets before I run out the door (typically we don't ever see the pizza, just grab packs and go) We try very hard to find your house, often in the dark. Now I know why stamps are so expensive, They waste a ton of time trying to find houses!!! I carry a flashlight and a good map but with no outside lights, and no numbers on a mail box or on the house or covered by bushes etc the list goes on, and they ask me if I HARD A HARD TIME FINDING THEM????? Make sure your home is well marked!!!!!! I always wish to the customers to "have great evening" or "enjoy the game" on Super Bowl Sunday If I do forget something I return with it immediately on my own dime. If we have promo items and a pie has to be re-made for someone because it was wrong I always make sure they get the free promo items along with even though I am not supposed to. Some orders are so large it takes two trips from the car to get them to the door, I delivered $75 worth of pizzas and hot wings and soda the other night and all I got was .27 cents! We also burn up the vehicle/tires trying to get there on time, while trying to avoid being pulled over. In our small town it isn't so bad but still. I feel responsible for the pie I deliver, If It is wrong I apologize, many know how it works and say it isn't my fault, but to others I am the face of the company and I receive the wrath, then it falls to me to rectify the problem.

Long story short, Tip the man! it is not a cake walk and unless they totally suck what goes on behind the seens between phone call and knock at the door is worth the money.

And we remember who doesnt tip! ("the stomach you save........." funny one Top)
^^^^^
JK I have never considered doing anything to a customers order, and I never will.

Thats my PIZZA rant for the evening!!!

D-C out!

Quick Reply: to tip or not to tip?