Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

tie rod pop out again

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tie rod pop out again

recently I had the passenger tie rod just pop out, the cotter pin was gone and the bolt too, the bolt did not strip the threads on the tie rod, it seems like the bolt just backed off the tie rod and that was it, gone, fixed it with just a new bolt and cotter pin, struck me as odd, any way just a hour ago same problem but this time the driver's side, almost killed some one this time, same thing cotter pin gone bolt backed off and the threads are fine, any one and I mean any one ever has this ever happen to you, its a no brain er the bolt came, ya but when there is a bolt and a cotter in the tie rod it SHOULD STAY TOGETHER I'd think Ive never had this happen before I got the 2500, any ideas, why, not kidding ya freak me out not to mention the people that I almost killed, the passenger tire just was floating at the mercy of the road, on coming traffic came to a halt, luckily I had a piece of wire in the bed and that got me home at 10 mph, thank god ever one was ok but still, any thaught's, i know how to fix just want ideas of what would cause the cotter to break and the nut just back off, thanks in advance,
Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fill in your signature so we know what you are talking about.
year make model mods.......
Then i'm sure someone will chim in. I've never heard of this happening. You don't have any enemies do ya?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
You don't have any enemies do ya?
I was thinking the same thing!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by volly818
I was thinking the same thing!
make that three of us.

i mean the only other logical thing that could happen was the original nut wasn't the correct size and maybe the vibration backed the nut off and broke the cotter pin.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:20 PM

Or, maybe there wasn't a cotter pin in it to break or come out!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
are you married?
how much life insurance do you have and who is the benifactor?
just kidding i hope that ain't the case.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:35 PM

IMO the most probable cause is intent to harm! There's no feasible way that a nut could break the pin just by vibration. If it rusted out badly, the nut would have been rusted just as badly to the stud on the tie rod end. I would say throw a new nut and pin in each one and call it good. If you are paranoid, you could replace the tie rod ends.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'd also suggest that you use some locktite in addition to the cotter pins.
I've never had one of these nuts back off- but a lot where it took a lot of heat, swearing and cursing, lubricating and convincing with a mallet to get the bugger to budge...

AlpineRAM
Old 12-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
1.) I assume when you had the problem with the passenger side, you took the time to fully inspect the rest of the linkage?

2.) assuming you meant nut instead of bolt, if there was a cotter key through the nut on the drivers side, you had better find out who is trying to kill you, because that just doesn't happen.

3.) I would take it to a qualified mechanic for a look see, who knows, they may have removed the cotter pins and loosened your balljoint nuts as well.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:25 AM

dont think we have any ememies but we just move down to denver and we have always been active in our church, there would be no need to pull something stupid like this, but who know's. for the most part the truck stays in my shop, got to thinking about it maybe some one dont like out of state ers
i dont know but lock tight is now on all front end bolt,s every one of them, and why would some one do that????????? any way thank for your input your web site is very help full,
Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 AM

Did you find some more lose bolts while doing the locktite? Any more dubious cotter pins?

If you have doubts that this "just happened" but have reason to think that this is some kind of sabotage do keep your truck in a safe place, do a safety check before each drive and do contact the police. They might know something similar having happened etc. A truck like that has a whole lot of kinetic energy so you have a whole lot of responsibility.

AlpineRAM
Old 12-14-2007, 10:08 AM

I found out I just got a phone call from a guy we turned down to ride on the team, what a dink, he wasnt good enough to ride and now hes has proven why we made our choice not to let him in, we are pro riders for Artic cat, and meet alot of people who want a shot, but people get turned down all the time, I knew that tie rods just dont pop out but you never know stranger things have happened, I had to ask may be there was a different reason, but all is forgiven and life goes on, and lock tight is applied to everything , now just have to call police and see what happens from there. probably nothing will come of it but, man what a scary ride it was,
Old 12-14-2007, 02:18 PM

You're riding Arcticats?

I just wrench on some antiques from them that are so dinged up - utility skidoos after 8 years of abuse are a lot of fun and look completely different than when they left the factory

Do you happen to have some pics?

Good that you found the "reason" behind this stuff. I'd still suggest going ovr the rest of the truck with a fine comb and check brake lines and hoses, e-brake cables etc..

AlpineRAM
Old 12-14-2007, 11:44 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 8 liter
I found out I just got a phone call from a guy we turned down to ride on the team, what a dink, he wasnt good enough to ride and now hes has proven why we made our choice not to let him in, we are pro riders for Artic cat, and meet alot of people who want a shot, but people get turned down all the time, I knew that tie rods just dont pop out but you never know stranger things have happened, I had to ask may be there was a different reason, but all is forgiven and life goes on, and lock tight is applied to everything , now just have to call police and see what happens from there. probably nothing will come of it but, man what a scary ride it was,

Pardon?

did I read this right?

The guy you turned down called you and confessed to loosening your tie rod ends?
Old 12-15-2007, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by 8 liter
You mean Arctic Cat.