Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

thinking seriously about getting a horse

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking seriously about getting a horse

I would like to hear from other members here who currently own horses. About how much a month does it cost to feed them, pay the farrier, diet supplements, any vet costs, etc

stabling it wont be a cost cause i can keep it for free at a friends place close by, until i get a paddock and haybarn of my own.

Do any of you run errands on your horses to save on fuel costs? Is it realistic to think i can? Or have I been watching too many movies ?LOL
Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For a good farrier I think you are looking at $125.00/8 weeks in your area (what I've been told). Probable $3.00/day in feed, and who knows about the Vet.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:19 AM

If you haven't owned horses before, you should spend A LOT of time with some before you buy. A lot of people that have never been around horses think its great and dandy, but then they get real tired of having them. They can be very high maintenence. Vet bills, unless you can do it yourself, which over a little time, you will be able to do your own. SHOTS etc... By looking at your sig, you live in Florida? What kind of grazing or pastures do you have there? You can't live in a city and own them. Period. They need exercise, room and patients. I live in Montana, and its hard for me to imagine horses in Florida. Sorry. lol. Lots of people in Rural and Urban areas that own horses keep them miles from their home, and keep them cooped up and never give them any attention. A big NO NO. Spend some time with them FIRST. I love mine, but I USE them. Packing for hunten, scouting, fairs, riding. Things they love to do. I would not recommend anyone that has NO experience to just go out and BUY a horse. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
If you haven't owned horses before, you should spend A LOT of time with some before you buy. A lot of people that have never been around horses think its great and dandy, but then they get real tired of having them. They can be very high maintenence. Vet bills, unless you can do it yourself, which over a little time, you will be able to do your own. SHOTS etc... By looking at your sig, you live in Florida? What kind of grazing or pastures do you have there? You can't live in a city and own them. Period. They need exercise, room and patients. I live in Montana, and its hard for me to imagine horses in Florida. Sorry. lol. Lots of people in Rural and Urban areas that own horses keep them miles from their home, and keep them cooped up and never give them any attention. A big NO NO. Spend some time with them FIRST. I love mine, but I USE them. Packing for hunten, scouting, fairs, riding. Things they love to do. I would not recommend anyone that has NO experience to just go out and BUY a horse. Just my 2 cents.
hi, and thanks for responding. I'd be keeping it at my Tucson, Arizona location, i'm only in Florida a few months, then its back to Arizona (home sweet home). I've spent a bit of time riding ranch horses - mostly quarter horses and/or draft crosses, so I'm not a total "newb" when it comes to horses, although I'll be the first one to admit i still have a lot more to learn. I help take care of the horses at the ranch where i hang out in Tucson's west side - feeding them alfalfa and bermuda hayflakes and psylium and brushing them and whatnot. I've just never had one of my own. And i also have no idea of the costs involved. I am very dedicated to caring for an animal once i take on the responsibility and commitmant of ownership. I dont think it'll be something i will tire of or outgrow, but i do appreciate your concerns in that area.

Please, by all means, feel free to advise and for anybody else who cares to chime in... I'm all ears thanks
Old 05-21-2008, 03:50 AM
Banned

West Nile and 5 way (all injected by you....no Vet) probably another 50.00 / year. Wormer every 3 months @ 15.00 / dose. Fly mask and spray 75.00/ year. Need a trailer to get to the Vet if you should need to.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Around here, hay can be as much as 10 bucks a bale for small bales...... Makes that 5 dollar diesel seem cheap.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Go watch the episode of Gene Simmons(KISS) on MTV when his daughter bought a horse and brought into Beverly Hills. Hiliarious but realistic in the fact it required lots of maint, cleaning, and feed.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 AM

Most people over spend on horses and horse stuff. The cheap part of horse ownership is the horse. Becareful of who you tell that you want a horse. Ive been in the horse business for awhile, and have seen some people been taken for a lot of money for a junk horse.
Hay in Iowa is running about 4-5 a bale, remember: They eat everyday(and all day if you let them), all year long.
Farriers charge 35per trim, and may charge a trip charge if you are only customer there. To put shoes on, anywhere from 65-150. The feet usually need to be maintained 6-8 weeks depending on growth and use of horse. Shoes are not required, but help in many situations/terrain. If you feel comfortable vaccinating your horse, and can get them(some require vet to get/give) I would vaccinate for West Nile Virus, Rabies(espically in the south), and some sort of combo, like Fort Dodge 5 way(Eastern, Western, Venezuelan?sp Encephalitis, flu, tetanus) Check with vet to see about sleeping sickness and others. If the vet come out to give all those, expect to spend $100 or more. Deworming can be done by you, most people over deworm. 3-6 times per year depending on stabling conditions, etc. If you are deworming, make sure you pay attention to the "Active Ingredient". Different dewormers treat different worms. Good to check with vet, to see what they recommend, for deworming and vaccinating, that is their field of expertise.
Becareful of who you ask for advice when it comes to horses. You wouldn't ask an accountant for advice on how to fix your CTD, would you?
Sorry this was so long, but Ive seen/heard too many stories of bad horse experiences. Just want to make sure you are well aware.
I am not a vet, but have managed horses for many years, largest herd was 130 head of draft horses, so this has just beeen my experience. Check with your vet when in doubt.
If I still trained colts at the house, i could ride them to work. I dont know how horse friendly your area would be to horses in/around town.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:46 AM

Get a mule. There is a reason that's what they use to go to bottom of Grand Canyon with. I have also made a small fortune with them. I don't like to mention I started with a large fortune.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by roughstock
Most people over spend on horses and horse stuff. The cheap part of horse ownership is the horse. Becareful of who you tell that you want a horse. Ive been in the horse business for awhile, and have seen some people been taken for a lot of money for a junk horse.
Hay in Iowa is running about 4-5 a bale, remember: They eat everyday(and all day if you let them), all year long.
Farriers charge 35per trim, and may charge a trip charge if you are only customer there. To put shoes on, anywhere from 65-150. The feet usually need to be maintained 6-8 weeks depending on growth and use of horse. Shoes are not required, but help in many situations/terrain. If you feel comfortable vaccinating your horse, and can get them(some require vet to get/give) I would vaccinate for West Nile Virus, Rabies(espically in the south), and some sort of combo, like Fort Dodge 5 way(Eastern, Western, Venezuelan?sp Encephalitis, flu, tetanus) Check with vet to see about sleeping sickness and others. If the vet come out to give all those, expect to spend $100 or more. Deworming can be done by you, most people over deworm. 3-6 times per year depending on stabling conditions, etc. If you are deworming, make sure you pay attention to the "Active Ingredient". Different dewormers treat different worms. Good to check with vet, to see what they recommend, for deworming and vaccinating, that is their field of expertise.
Becareful of who you ask for advice when it comes to horses. You wouldn't ask an accountant for advice on how to fix your CTD, would you?
Sorry this was so long, but Ive seen/heard too many stories of bad horse experiences. Just want to make sure you are well aware.
I am not a vet, but have managed horses for many years, largest herd was 130 head of draft horses, so this has just beeen my experience. Check with your vet when in doubt.
If I still trained colts at the house, i could ride them to work. I dont know how horse friendly your area would be to horses in/around town.

Bingo. A huge majority way overspend on their horses. But in your area where you do not have pasture you will likely have to feed hay everyday. I do my own shoeing, administer my own shots every year and we have pasture. The only thing we grain is our stud. The rest of the herd stay fat and sassy on grass pasture even during the heavy riding season. And even at that I would be spending 1500.00 to 2000.00 on winter hay if I wasn't cutting it myself. Just last week I walked out of the Vet's office with 135.00 worth of stuff to take care of a kicking match recipent's leg. We worm quarterly. I buy a lot of stuff from Country Supply aka www.horse.com

They have saved us tons on our horses and my customers horses. And thankfully I have the Amish close by to purchase cases of shoes from. But I wouldn't give up my horse's for anything. Owning horse's isn't a hobby it's a lifestyle.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dually, I cuurently have 5 horses here. I was raised with horses, grew up om horses and have spent quite a bit of time in the saddle over the years. My parents raised running quarter horses when I was a kid, went through the 4H program on horses. Made a living doing Ranchwork on horses etc. So I will likely always have a horse or two around no matter what. As much as I like horses, I consider them to be tools.... In fact I LOVE cows.

I guess what I would wonder, is WHY do you want a horse, what's your motivation or reason for having one? It takes a lot of work and effort to keep even the most well broke horse, in shape and working well. Do you have that time to commit?
Old 05-21-2008, 02:41 PM

I have 15 at this time...we rescue some

3 Belgian drafts 1900# each they ride,drive, and work .They get 1 1/2 bales of hay each everyday the other 12 are "light " horses they get 1/2 bale hay daily each
hay around here is 6-11 dollars a bale

I do the Hooves myself...Drafts can cost $100 per foot

we go through a TON (2000#) of grain every 3 weeks

so ... live life to the fullest!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:22 PM

I've been in the horse business for over 30 years.
There has been some good advice above, let me highlight what I think is important.
(1) "Horses are the sport of kings"...luxury items, with maintenance costs that don't go away. The purchase price is another story. Don't over pay, the term "hosetrader" was coined for a reason.
(2) Not all horses are created equal. There are high maintenance horses, low maintenance horses, fine china horses, crooked legged horses, high spirited, mello, dog lunch, nice, and "common nickel bred POS sob's. Everything in between and combinations of many of above.
(3) Some horses need shoeing, some don't. The sturdy one's don't, get one of those. Don't ever fall for the line "he's had shoes his whole life, but if you got his feet done by a "barefoot trimmer", he wouldn't need shoes. On the flip side, shoes don't cure old age, arthritis, and serious "hitches in the gitalong".
If they did, I'd get me a pair.
(4) The best way to tell if you've got a low maintenace horse is to find one that has been totally neglected, and still looks pretty good.
(5) Botton line, if you're going into this as a novice, be careful who you get your advice from. Your wife's friend's thirteen year old daughter is not one to get advice from, even though "she's had horses her whole life".
(6) I've seen adults that have "had horses their whole life", still know nothing, and wonder every time I go out there how come their horse hasn't killed them yet.
(7) I seriously doubt you'll be going to the store on errands with your horse to save gas money.
(8) Horses, even good one's, break stuff. Fences, feeders, waterers, hitching posts, tack, trailers, people. They spend about an hour a day eating, and 23 hours looking for trouble, and trying to commit suicide. Have you heard of the term "horseplay?"
(9) How much more time have you got?
(10) Yes, you've been watching too many movies.
(11) If you're looking for a hobby, have you considered golf?
(12) Probably your best bet to start would be to "lease" a horse, that way you can always get out, if you get in over your head.
(13) I've got stories. 32 years worth. When I retire, I'm going to write a book, "Tails from the Hoof, I Can't Make This Stuff Up".
(14) Don't get me wrong, horses are a great lifestyle...THE most important advice I could give you is, get yourself a good mentor, a horseman. Problem is, everybody is a "horse trainer". Everybody wants answers. If my horse does this, what do I do? The real answer is "it depends". Everybody wants horse stuff to be black and white. It's almost always gray.
Most of the true horseman I have known, don't have much to say, and nothing to sell.
(15) Good luck
(16) Since you're in Florida, how about a boat instead?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 PM

We have 5 horses at our place in Washoe Valley Nv.(Reno) and are currentlly paying anywhere from 11.00 to 18.00 a bale for grass hay. It takes roughly a bale a day to feed them. Having them at home is a life change as they have to be feed twice a day every day. Makes it difficult to vacation unless you can find someone you really trust to look after them. We give our own shots and our farrier charges from 110.00 to 140.00 depending on what shoes are needed (he hot shoes).
Old 05-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Banned

kblranch sounds about right. I have five horses also. I pay about 6.00 / bale for grass/alfalfa hay( about 75 lb bales) and they eat two bales per day. Leaving is a hassle. That is what I've heard rhe cost of a farrier runs in that part of the country. I only pay about 40.00 per trim and 65.00 for a front trim with back plates. Last farrier bill was 207.00 with tax.

Quick Reply: thinking seriously about getting a horse