Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Thinking about getting a truck.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, My wife and i go camping a few times a year and we are talking about getting a boat. her car is almost paid off and we have been talking about trading it in for a truck. She really wants my car (Mustang GT) and we are also talking about having kids some where down the road. So she is going to take my car and i'm going to get a 4 door truck. Now i have been looking at a lot of different trucks from the big three. and i started thinking about a Dodge CTD. Now i have owned a turbo car in the past so i know about turbo's but i know anything about diesels and had hoped that some of you guys could bring me up to speed on the CTD. I know they last for a really long time but thats about it. any help you all could give would be really grate.
Thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 AM

Hi all, My wife and i go camping a few times a year and we are talking about getting a boat. her car is almost paid off and we have been talking about trading it in for a truck. She really wants my car (Mustang GT) and we are also talking about having kids some where down the road. So she is going to take my car and i'm going to get a 4 door truck. Now i have been looking at a lot of different trucks from the big three. and i started thinking about a Dodge CTD. Now i have owned a turbo car in the past so i know about turbo's but i know anything about diesels and had hoped that some of you guys could bring me up to speed on the CTD. I know they last for a really long time but thats about it. any help you all could give would be really grate.
Thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:22 AM

Welcome. Personally, I love my Dodge. I've never had a problem with my motor, after years of beating the snot out of it. The truck itself, however, has had a host of problems. The a/c has never worked right (doesnt sound like the newer trucks have improved much), the doors whistle at freeway speeds, and I've gone through several power steering pumps. That said, I'd still take the Dodge/Cummins combo over the other two. I'd much rather deal with small issues that I can fix myself vs the actual engine problems the 6.0 had. If the Chevy had a solid front axle, I'd own one today. I dont mind the Chevy's much, but the powerstroke is a joke.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:13 PM

Ok so are the types of problems you are having just problems that trucks have from ware and age? how does the maintance work on the TD's? how often does the oil need to be changed, trans fluid, brakes stuff like that. hows the fule milage compaired to a gas burner?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
DTR question asker

If you don't want to go with a brand new truck (3rd gen), then I would go with a 2nd gen 12 valve with at least an extended cab.

You can find these anywhere from about 7-11k in nice condition.

A '98 12v Quad Cab is a highly desirable truck, but EXTREMELY rare and if you find one chances are the owner/dealer will be asking a lot of money for it.

A '97 12v Extended Cab is also a very good truck, because they have the 215hp pumps, updated brakes, etc.

I say quad/extended cab because you may have kids at some point.

I recommend a 12v because they can be found relatively cheap, are full mechanical engines (no VP44 to go out, etc), and some people have put over a million miles on them. They make lots of horsepower very quickly and without much expense, and only have one little flaw that you should fix: the KDP.

Do a search on here for the "killer dowel pin" and read up.

If I were you I'd skip over the 2nd gen 24v motors because they have the VP44 which more likely than not WILL go out in the truck, which can be a costly repair.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:41 PM

thanks for the info but i was leaning toward a newer truck say like an 04-06. with lower miles on it so i can rack them up over the next 10 or so years. I really looking for maintance info. my father said somthing about having to take the trucks in every so oftin to have the valves adjusted in them. if you could give me info on the cost of ownership of the TD over a regular truck the would be really helpfull in my process of figuring out what i'm looking for here.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM

Mileage is awesome. 21mpg with everything cranked up. Im confident I could get 24 with a wood block under the pedal.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 PM

Ok well thats some good info.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoy my 04. I have moderate mods, get 19+mpg, and don't have a single regret. If you're looking for a stock truck to keep stock, any from 03-06 would be fine. And they will mod nicely too. you should be able to get plenty of miles out of it.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:29 PM

What would be better auto or stick?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had none of the other problems that I see on here alot. This is my second Dodge CTD. My first was a 1998 24v. I was really impressed with that truck as well.

The weak spots that I see with the Dodge trucks are mostly in the tranny dept. and mostly (almost excluisively) with the autos. Especially if horse power modifications are made. And the second is the paint. The paint on these trucks seems to scratch easier than most. But i ended up with a 6 spd. (and LOVE it), so no tranny problems here, and the paint is not too big of a worry for me.

The Chevy/Duramax is also a good option. I do not feel it has the longevity in the motor department that the Cummins has, but the AUTO tranny is far superior. Also i think over all the CTD will see better milage numbers. Plus the IFS in the front of the cehvy was a deal breaker for me.

If you are looking at an 04.5 - current truck, I doubt you will see 20+ MPG out of it. I would say with light towing (boat, etc.) and normal driving you will see an overall of 15-18 MPG.

As far as maint. concerns go, I just topped 51K and all I have done is Oil, oil filter, fuel filter, differential oil changes, grease, and routine maint. My truck has not seen the inside of a shop since it rolled off the lot, and I have had zero problems with the truck or any mods this far (knock on wood).
Old 08-09-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on what you do and what your driving will involve. I prefer the stick because when I pull I want full control. Also its fun and IMO a cummins sounds better with a stick. But its all preference. If you have money to spend and you want to mod, and auto would be fun too.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:06 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by srtmouse
What would be better auto or stick?
TCO depends alot on how you work them. Owning a diesel and driving it every couple days to go get groceries is going to have a much higher cost per mile than a gasser or car. You drive it loaded, alot each day, and pull trailers. the gasser will die quicker.

As far as the stick or auto debate, an auto has one purpose. so your wife can drive it
Old 08-09-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your are worrying about mileage, look at the body, not the engine. The mechanical 12 valves can go a looooonnnnngggg time. Alot of people here have 200,000-500,000 miles on their trucks. And a select few have 1,000,000 miles. I say 12v's but I am partial

Those truck years have 4 doors and a nice reliable engine. Aftermarket upgrade are more available and can be really powerful. They also help you to break the weak part and convince your wife to get the better stuff.

The 1st Gens are getting more rare by the day and are command hefty $$$$. Get one now if you want so you don't have to pay big bucks later. They also get some of the best mileage.

Jon
Old 08-09-2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
TCO depends alot on how you work them. Owning a diesel and driving it every couple days to go get groceries is going to have a much higher cost per mile than a gasser or car. You drive it loaded, alot each day, and pull trailers. the gasser will die quicker.

As far as the stick or auto debate, an auto has one purpose. so your wife can drive it

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Thats what i told her......

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a truck.