Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Things your Burglar doesn't tell you...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read them all; they're tips from actual convicted criminals.

They could make the difference in becoming a statistic....

1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.

2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.

3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste ... and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.

4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.

5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.

6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it's set. That makes it too easy.

7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom-and your jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.

8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door-understandable. But understand this: I don't take a day off because of bad weather.

9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)

10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.

11. Here's a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.

12.. You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take it with me.

13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If you're reluctant to leave your TV on while you're out of town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at faketv.com.)

8 MORE THINGS A BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU:

1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy and carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.

2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.

3. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back to what he was doing. It's human nature.

4. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?

5. I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets.

6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page.

It's easier than you think to look up your address.

7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.

8. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door.

Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.

Sources: Convicted burglars in North Carolina, Oregon, California, and

Kentucky; security consultant Chris McGoey, who runs crimedoctor.com;

and Richard T. Wright, a criminology professor at the University of

Missouri-St Louis, who interviewed 105 burglars for his book Burglars on the Job.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by 32tudor
3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste ... and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.
Wonder what the broken tree limbs, leaf drifts, yard debris laying around tell them.
4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.
No news paper, but I have been known to leave junk in the door for a few days.
3. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back to what he was doing. It's human nature.
Learned that one at a young age shooting the neighbors cats. get a quick kill with a .22LR and no one is wiser

8. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door.

Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.
And I sit at home with my pistol on my side. I guess its a roll of the dice.

I guess I need to take a walk around the house and outside to see what can be seen...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I had one of my pistol range targets in the window next to to the door at one point...
Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 PM

Yeah, I like the one about knocking first, too. What happens when I'm too busy cleaning my guns to get up and answer the door?

And the announcing a vacation on Facebook is a good point. My brother had mentioned he had a hockey game out of town one time, and his ex-girlfriend's henchmen came over and knocked out all his car windows, my dad's truck windows, and destroyed our mailbox. And since he dated her, she knew I worked nights, which is where I was, and they are lucky or they'd be pickin bb's out of their backside to this day if I was home...
Old 03-01-2010, 11:29 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Originally Posted by madhat
I had one of my pistol range targets in the window next to to the door at one point...
What is a target with no holes in it gonna tell a criminal???

Originally Posted by Nick02Ram
And the announcing a vacation on Facebook is a good point...
Sounds like she need to plan anther post on facebook... heck you could even video them runnin with their rears in their hands screamin like little girls from the buckshot, win 10k and pay for the damages first go around.

Good post though. Kinda makes you think.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Forgot #14- The American flag proudly displayed in the front yard means there's a good chance the occupant is armed and well defended. Dog is trained not to bark though, so come right on in.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by wyododge
What is a target with no holes in it gonna tell a criminal???
Haha... funny. Come over, I'll show ya...
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
Haha... funny. Come over, I'll show ya...

Was it the target with the smiley face shot into it??

If it was my target they would and walk right in But then they need to get by the shotgun blast
Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

No, mine had a face on it...
Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 PM

What happens when the criminal finds out that the "Sega" game console was a "Saiga" with a 20rd drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gESLOmz-4sc&feature=fvst
my latest toy minus the site
Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Sooo many neat toys out there to entertain the bad guys with.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 PM

They would have a little lead time to run while i figure out which tool to use.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:13 PM

That is a thing of beauty!

Old 03-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
Is that bible thumper a bible thumper?
How about that census taker?
My best deterrent is my land lord. Everyone round here knows him.