Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

that thing got a Hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that thing got a Hemi?

I've only owned this '03 CTD for a little over a month.

I've lost count how many times I was asked "That thing got a Hemi?".

I get kinda irritated with that particular question, so here's my typical reply...

"Nope. But it'll run over a hemi"
Old 05-07-2004, 08:48 PM

thats pretty good...

btw...is that 10 second buick........? like grand national......? I have several of em.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:51 PM

Well, close. Bu is short for Malibu. I run a street strip '79 Malibu that runs mid/high 10's normally aspirated.

I've got some pics loaded on my ISP's server if your interested.

http://www.qis.net/~geislert

Kinda wish I had a turbo Buick...sweet rides. Hey, but there both A/G-bodies .
Old 05-07-2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by 1320
thats pretty good...

btw...is that 10 second buick........? like grand national......? I have several of em.

SEVERAL?

That's just not fair. That's one of my all time favorite cars and I don't even have ONE.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:37 PM

thats one VERY nice malibu........id like to have some specs on it.....like in the engine and whatnot. Im planning to build an engine for my chevy truck and pro street it.....
Old 05-08-2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by CumminsRedneck
thats one VERY nice malibu........id like to have some specs on it.....like in the engine and whatnot. Im planning to build an engine for my chevy truck and pro street it.....
Very oddball engine combination. it's a destroked 427 with 414 ci. It runs on pump gas and has approx 10.5 to 1 compression. heads are GM 781 truck oval ports with 2.19/1.88 valves, bowl blending, but no porting. Small Comp Cams custom street roller grind, Edelbrock Vic jr intake, old Carb Shop 850 Holley. Trans is a th400 and the converter is a 8" ATI Treemaster that flashes to 5600 rpm. Rear is a GM 12 bolt with all Mark Williams internals and 4.10 Richmond gears. Suspension out back is bolt on upgrades to GM's stock 4 link/coil spring setup.

The car weighs 3600 lbs w/driver and is street driven and raced on 93 octane pump gas. It was built as a frame off restoration years ago with every nut & bolt replaced or replated.

With some chassis dyno tuning and some minor tweaks, hoping the car runs 10.50's this season.

Did I mention the car is For Sale?

For s Pro Street truck, it's hard to beat a solid 454/468 combination for power, reliability and low cost. Sure wish mine was....long story .
Old 05-08-2004, 09:08 PM

u have several ?? you dog ....... how about a donation my waywith 1 of those hot rods . hook a brother up scott
Old 05-10-2004, 07:14 PM

A guy a week ago asked the "that thing got a Hemi?" question. I told him no, its a Cummins Turbo Diesel. So he replied "Ohh, that sucks! Hemi's a pretty expensive option, huh?" I just laughed and walked away. Yup, sure wish I could've afforded the Hemi! -Steve
Old 05-11-2004, 10:07 PM

yeah the biggest cost option with the hemi is the millions of gallons of gas you need at $2+
Old 05-11-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by CTDinMT
So he replied "Ohh, that sucks! Hemi's a pretty expensive option, huh?" I just laughed and walked away. Yup, sure wish I could've afforded the Hemi! -Steve
gotta love all the smart ones that litter the planet...

I was reading over on DTW in the Hemi forum and they were talking about a 6.1L Hemi and I can't imagine the mileage that thing wouldn't get... but that's another topic...

on the topic... Hard to mistake my Gen 2 for something with a Hemi but I often get asked what I did to make my truck sound like it does...
Old 05-12-2004, 11:07 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Re: that thing got a Hemi?

Originally posted by 10secBu
I've lost count how many times I was asked "That thing got a Hemi?".

I get kinda irritated with that particular question, so here's my typical reply...

"Nope. But it'll run over a hemi"
The local RCMP caught me doing a little burnout last summer. When the young officer, who seemed a decent sort, approached the truck, he asked "Just giving the Hemi a little workout?"

I replied, "Sir, I realize you're about the give me a ticket, but you don't have to get insulting about it."

He actually seemed fairly interested in the fact it was a diesel, after I explained it. Still got a ticket though.

Rod
Old 05-12-2004, 12:18 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
People usually ask me how the V8 works and how much gas I use per 100km. Usually they are disappointed when I tell them that it's got an inline engine and it's a diesel. After looking at the doorplate they tell me that I'd be better off with a bigger engine than the 2.5 liter diesel in such a big truck, this must be really a dog etc. Usually they don't like me anymore when I blow past their ricer shorly after having told tehm that I'm a little too old for sports cars etc and that I like slow diesels.

AlpineRAM
Old 05-12-2004, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by AlpineRAM
After looking at the doorplate they tell me that I'd be better off with a bigger engine than the 2.5 liter diesel in such a big truck, this must be really a dog etc.
AlpineRAM
Sounds like you need some "5900" badges (or maybe "8850" to account for the turbo)!
Old 05-12-2004, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alpine, I designed you a badge to clear up the nomenclature problems.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Put one of these on the door panel!
Although, I dont think one of these would even fit in the bed of one of our trucks, it may certainly cause some looks.

Rich

Quick Reply: that thing got a Hemi?