Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Thank God for a Ram!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up Thank God for a Ram!!!!

I was just wandering around the "other" forums a bit. Wow, am I glad I bought a Ram. Hoods blowing up with truck stopping - - new injectors - - front crankshaft seals leaking - - limp mode on the tranny - - lousy fuel mileage and all complaining the Cummins gets better - - buy backs - - shimmys and vibrations to the point of not controlling the truck - - terrible relations with their dealers. Sounds like a horror movie.

I think we need to quit complaining and be thankful. We have great reliable trucks. They will get the mileage thingy figured out on the 4.5's. They look good, drive fantastic, very few problems.

Thanks, DC.

GratefulBob
Old 06-30-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dido on owning a RAM. Wild horses or stampeding elephants couldn't get me to buy one of the other brands. I am not saying that because of the truck itself, but the engines that they currently have in them. The 6.0 is a huge mistake anyway you look at. Well, they might excel as boat anchors. The Dura-trash with Alum-alloy heads has a long way to go before I am convenced that diesel fuel and Alum-alloy heads get along. Just my .02 worth .
Old 06-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I agree with GratefulBob, sure there are some people having troubles with their Cummins powered Rams, They are after all a man made product and mistakes happen.

But overall they have a MUCH better reputation for quality, and fewer problems in general.

FindingmyselfagreeingwithBobtodayLary
Old 06-30-2004, 03:24 PM

When I bought my 3500 CTD two years ago, they laughed!

As I took the last of them down to the dealerships to return their 6.0 Fords and their Duramaxes, I smiled!

When they went to the Dodge dealer and bought themselves 2500 CTD's, they laughed!

Now my friends and I are all . And they listen!
Old 06-30-2004, 08:02 PM

I had another guy at work ask me how I like my PSD. I said, "It's ok...but I shoulda bought a Dodge." He's like, "Well, have you driven one of those new Fords? They're pretty awesome!" And then I tried to explain to another guy that the CTD is a medium duty engine and PSD and Dura. are both light duty engines...he didn't seem to understand...so I just left it at that and quit trying to explain. I figure, if somebody can't listen to the facts then they'll just have to find out for themselves.

I still think when people test drive a truck they try to see how fast it goes and accelerates...they figure if it accelerates fast then it'll tow good. Wrong!

Ford and Chevy definitely have a good thing going w/ their advertising plan though...people keep buying those trucks like crazy thinking they're getting the best deal, just like Hitler had the Germans convinced that he's got the best thing going!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 AM

limp mode on the tranny
mine has that option too... when i am coming home from work and i am too lazy to shift. if i get the lights right, i can make it home from work without shifting out of 5th once i get there. [and there isn't all that much traffic at midnight ]
Old 07-01-2004, 12:39 PM

Welder27, I wouldn't discount the 7.3 you have. I think that if Ford would have invested the money in cleaning the 7.3 up and not using the 6.0 until it was 100% ready, they would have had a better, proven product. I have several Ford friends that have said that they will drive their trucks (all with the 7.3) until the wheels fall off or wait till Ford gets their act togather and either fix or replace the 6.0.
I agree with you that most people who own diesel pickups think that they should run like a gas engine. Therefore the first thing they do when they get one is see how fast it will go. Heck, the first thing one of my friends did when he test drove my truck was to put the go-pedal on the floor to see how long it took to go from 0-70. Told him that was the last time he would drive my truck. For me I don't care how fast it will go but I do care how well it will go down the road pulling my trailer WITHOUT problems. The last thing I need is to be broke down several hundred miles from home with a trailer load of horses . I am on my thrid CTD and have yet to have any problems out of any of the these trucks. Plus I can cruse down the interstate at 70+ MPH knowing that I still have plenty of reserve power to pass or what ever. That tends to put a big on my face. It is nice to cruse do the interstate with a nice cold bottle of coke, a cigar, running 70 MPH on the way to a good cutting. Cowboy-up .
Old 07-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Waht is this about Ford jumping ship to a 6.4 liter in 2007 or so? What is that all about? Same maker? HHMMMMM That must tell you something about what they think of their 6.0.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:21 PM

Either way you look at it, the 6.4 is probably going to be just as big of a POS as the 6.0 is now.. thier just adding more liters, hence more problems. I like the 7.3's, but the new fords are pure POS's and they are WAY louder than my 600.
Scott
Old 07-03-2004, 07:06 AM

No disrepect to my Dodge, I still love it, but last week, we got passed on I-81 by a Louisville Customs F550 Fifth-puller near Pigeon Forge. It appeared to be a SuperDuty of the 350 variety in the rear-view and also side-view, but when it went by, it was clearly powered by something else, a 4" or 5" exhaust that bellowed. Louisville Customs flaps and a pickup bed with a fifth-hitch, not a flatbed. Was it a Cummins? It was not a bit higher off the ground or wheels than a run-of-the-mill F350. Nat
Old 07-03-2004, 08:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I love my "99" CDT. I've got 150K on it now and it runs the better than the day I picked it up. I'm gonna drive the wheels of this one.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:27 AM

..."it was clearly powered by something else, a 4" or 5" exhaust that bellowed"

Could be Cat.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Gear Poet
When I bought my 3500 CTD two years ago, they laughed!

As I took the last of them down to the dealerships to return their 6.0 Fords and their Duramaxes, I smiled!

When they went to the Dodge dealer and bought themselves 2500 CTD's, they laughed!

Now my friends and I are all . And they listen!
Funny, I've put Chevy Trucks Gasser/Diesel to shame and the owners has sold them. Also a Ford owner is upset about the fuel MPG he is getting with diesel... He is also going to sell...

Now they might just listen to me about the Cummins diesel engines!!!