Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Texas guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas guys

Does anyone know if I can own a small company and have group ins. in Texas. Here in CA most PPO won't accept small companies, but HMO's will. Reason being my wife has a pre-existing and we are wanting to relocate to Mckinney Texas. The ins. we have(HMO) is not available in Texas(Kaiser Permanente). By any chance does anyone know how much diesel mechanics make in the Dallas Tx area and are they offered benefits normally? Just wondering if I should go back to college for computers or something. Thanks everyone
Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can have group ins. in TX. You just have to offer (and partly pay)it to any employees also. Not just yourself. I can ask my brother-in-law what he is paying a diesel mech. right now, when I see him this Thanksgiving. He is in Denton.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:46 PM

Yup, group insurance is available at small co in TX. Also when I went by a Ryder truck place in Houston they were looking for a Diesel tech.
If you are an employer, there is a new I-9 that just came out a few days ago. A little FYI for ya.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 PM

thanks for the responses, I have about 6 years experience plumbing/welding and just got my A.S. in bus adm. and diesel tech. Here in Ca I build homes for a living(well I did before the housing slow down). My wife and I liked Mckinney a lot and want to get our kids out of Ca before they start school, but she was dx with brain cancer about 10 months ago thats why I either need to get a job with group ins. first or open a business in Tx and get group ins. to be able to transfer her policy (I think)
Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Banned

It ain't cheap though. You might look to see if TX has a pool Ins. carrier like Blue Cross. I had a stroke a couple years back, and I have been looking into Ins. So I can get off the policy my wife currently carries. NM happens to have a pool policy that is fairly reasonable that accepts pre existing conditions.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:51 AM

BlackDodge,

Sorry I can't answer your question about insurance.

I just wanted to say I hope the best for your wife (and you) with her illness. I know it will be a long rough road ahead getting through this trying time.

I live in McKinney so if I can be of any help on this end, just let me know. McKinney is booming and growing like wildfire. (personally, to much for me) So there should be plenty of opportunities in construction or diesel trades in the area.

We also have a North Texas DTR club if you want to come to some meets sometime. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:53 AM

TexasCTD,

Are homes still selling normal in Mckinney? Here in Ca home construction can to a complete stop. I know what your saying about it going to big, thats my opinion too, I like small towns, but my wife likes the close neighbors. The thing we liked about Mckinney is the good schools and lower crime then Ca.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:54 AM

I know there is a big housing boom going on up in Frisco also, and I am not talking about cheap homes either. IIRC Frisco has the most million plus homes right now per capita of any city in texas. And it's not far from where you are wanting to move. Sure would be nice to get in on some of that big money being spent out there. Good luck with every thing and my prayers are with you and your wife.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKDODOGE
TexasCTD,

Are homes still selling normal in Mckinney? Here in Ca home construction can to a complete stop. I know what your saying about it going to big, thats my opinion too, I like small towns, but my wife likes the close neighbors. The thing we liked about Mckinney is the good schools and lower crime then Ca.

Home sales have slowed everywhere in the country, as far as I know. But Texas hasn't been hit as hard by the slowdown. We didn't have the outrageous home price inflation the past few years that other parts of the country experienced. So since we didn't "party" as hard, our "hangover" isn't as bad... You should be able to find work though.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know they are still building homes in my area.

MikeyB
Old 11-15-2007, 03:57 PM

They're still building homes in Tx. But good luck finding a job off the street, unless you have an "in" with someone.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 AM

There still building like crazy here. Just depends on what you do or want to do, whether not finding a job will be easy.