Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Tell Me About Efficiency/Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell Me About Efficiency/Reliability

As some of you may remember I started a thread a while ago about efficient communter cars. My plan was to park my truck in the shed and get a car that was decent on fuel and drive that around.

Well that plan didn't realy work out. It's gotten to the point now where I realy have to let my truck go. I don't ever think I will sell it for what I owe on it so I guess im in the trade in market. With the price of fuel at $3.50/gallon, me going to school full time and only working part time it's hard to make a truck note and keep that tank full for 2 weeks before my next check rolls in. It's been a blast, but as they say all good things must come to an end.

I need to re-prioritize and get a vehicle that's well within my needs (and price range). I don't want to trade off my truck for a beater vehicle. I want something that is justifiable for trading in my truck. I would absolutley love to stay diesel(I know it's a small selection on the market at the moment). I've been thinking real hard about those VW TDI's, I know they are hard to get a hold of up here anyways.

So I guess I better ask my question now. I see a couple of guys here have those VW's. Can you tell me a little more about them. Realibility, anything? If I have to settle for a nice gasser that gets good mileage so be it, but one thing. My next purchase WILL be a manual. Anyone have any experience with those Subaru Imprezza's/Legaceys?

Sorry for the long winded post. Any input is appreciated.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Banned

I have owned a alot of different cars, I personally just parked my truck and leased a subaru legacy the lease on it is only 175 with 2k down and so far i really like it i am gettin 26mpg around town. If you are into them the 4 door impreza wrx is a very attractive car and you can get a new one for around 25k.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:23 PM

Yes those Subaru's are nice. I don't think i'll have the option to buy one outright. Im sure they will tack on what I still owe on my truck if I do a trade in.

I made some bad choices with my credit and it's not the best right now. So I don't think i'll get payments at $175(that would be nice though). If I was at $250/$300 a month I would be so much better off.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 AM

I'm currently driving a 2006 Chevy Aveo - bought it "used" with 1700 miles on it. Looked like some dad bought for a kid, who didn't like it or something. Whatever.... GREAT little car. I commute like 75 miles a day, mostly "highway", but around here that's a lot of S&G or crawling freeway stuff. I'm averaging 33-34 mpg on it, unless I get a couple of days where I have to stick my foot in it and run over 3200 rpm, then it gets down to about 31 mpg.

Car is roomy enough for hubby to not whine when he has to drive it or ride in it, has comfy seats and mine is nicely appointed - PS/PB, five speed, good CD/stereo, AC that WORKS, remote locks etc. I like the gear ratios for the type of commute I do - it has a true granny first that you can idle along at 700 rpm or so and not have to ride the clutch, and 2nd is nice for easing along at a fast walking pace when things are "moving but crawling". Top end is not great - after 11,000 miles, it now is broken in and runs out pretty good to 75 without feeling like I'm flogging it, but she's not a speed demon.

I've heard the early Aveos had a few issues, but mine has not had any at all. If you don't need fancy (or 4x4) it's a good car for the money.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a VW Beetle (girl car) that my wife took away from me but that's another story. Anyway, it's been a great little car, gets @47 mpg consistently, and is a blast to drive. These cars have electrical gremlins pretty bad but don't let that scare you away. Most problems are easily fixed and it won't break the bank. I got mine off Ebay for 9K with 61K on it which I thought was a pretty good deal and haven't regretted it one bit. Go to http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php and look around maybe even ask some questions. IMO, you can't go wrong with a TDI.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:31 PM

I love my Subaru Impreza WRX. Can't say it gets the best mileage with the performance modifications I have done to it. It'll get 17-19 mpg with a reasonably heavy right foot, while rewarding 22-23 mpg cruising on the highway. It displays an amazing amount of grip with the right tires on it (ie. not the stock tires), and holds 4 passengers and a truck load of stuff comfortably. Always felt safe in the snow and rain as well.

-Chris
Old 12-13-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
My next purchase WILL be a manual. Anyone have any experience with those Subaru Imprezza's/Legaceys?
We have a Subaru Legacy Outback that we basically got given to us. It needed a new engine. We cleaned it up, Got a JDM engine out of California, put all new tires, hoses, belts, etc. on it. We have about $3,000 invested all together. We kept the Expedition and drive it when we need the room. The Subaru gets between 21-26 mpg city and highway. Ours is an automatic, so I'm sure a stick would do better on fuel. The AWD is great. It's got the winter package so it's loaded with lots of great winter stuff. Heated Seats, heated mirrors, heated front wiper strip, weather radio etc. The 2.5 Boxer engine is very reliable and has plenty of power for its size.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:08 PM

Yea i've been looking at those Subarua's. A couple of months ago I darn near signed my name on the dotted line for a Imprezza but I just couldn't bring my self to it. I may pull the trigger and go ahead now.

I would realy love to find a TDI. I was even looking at the new VW Rabbits. They retail for 15k or so, that's something I can swallow. I realy don't want to trade off my truck for a car with alot of miles, I would like to stay new(r) if I can, but I don't know if i'll find a TDI new. Maybe. I just don't see my local VW dealer taking my truck in on a trade.

Anyone have any experience with the Chevy Cobalts? I know they make a Supercharged model as well.

hamilton71801 - Are those Bettles hard to get in a diesel? They look a little on the flamboyant side but I could swallow my pride if it was an oil burner.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:34 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't know if you could swing it, but VW is pushing the 2.0 Diesel for the 08 year in the Jetta.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 PM

hamilton71801 - Are those Bettles hard to get in a diesel? They look a little on the flamboyant side but I could swallow my pride if it was an oil burner.
You really can't find them around here so that's why I looked on Ebay. Yeah, you're right about the girlyness of the car but don't let it fool you. These little things are built on an Audi chassis and can take any curve/off ramp at incredible speeds plus are easily/cheaply bombed just like our Cummins. This car is a blast to drive and is surprisingly quick. I change the oil/fuel filter every 10K and call it good.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
I don't know if you could swing it, but VW is pushing the 2.0 Diesel for the 08 year in the Jetta.
Are these comming out early early 08? If not I don't know if I could hold out for to long.

Can someone correct me if im wrong but dosen't VW make the Golf in a diesel? Are they still being made?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:16 PM

My wifes Jetta TDI Auto and is getting between 36-42 mpg and I think it is fun to drive too.
Didn't VW come out with the Rabbit again?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:57 PM

Can someone correct me if im wrong but dosen't VW make the Golf in a diesel? Are they still being made?

Yep, they make a Golf TDI. I have had 3 Golfs, all GTI versions. They are graet little cars. I think my next one will be the TDI. They are suprisingly roomy for such a small car.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
My wifes Jetta TDI Auto and is getting between 36-42 mpg and I think it is fun to drive too.
Didn't VW come out with the Rabbit again?
Yea they came out with the Rabbit again. I was looking at the 2 door model. Base price of 15k, get 30+ on the highway.

Tommorow I will be going to check out a couple of different dealers and looking at their new models. I've never shopped for a car in the dead of winter before. I won't be doing to much tire kicking.