Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Was that a clean hit?
Yes
37.25%
No
37.25%
Ouch!
25.49%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Suspended for the season? (Wicked hit)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspended for the season? (Wicked hit)

This looked like a clean hit to me...I was always taught to keep your head up and know who's around you!

What do you think? Maybe a game misconduct at the most, but not for the whole season!

Link
Old 11-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Dude, I dont watch or follow hockey but man that was a dirty move! What reason did he have to hit that guy? He just did it cause he wanted to it looks like.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is one of the problems with Junior Hockey, many think fighting and punishing hits are the only way to advance. It was a border line hit and had it been open ice there would have been a fight but the worse out come would have been a game or two suspension. Due to the hit being a foot or two from the glass and it was high on the shoulder the result was violent head contact with the glass. The suspension should be as long as the injured player is not able to play plus one year. If the hit player can not come back then the one who made the hit is gone for good.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:21 PM

It didn't look to bad, the problem is the helmets, don't do much good when they fall off. If they wore proper helmets he might of had a concussion at worst. I wouldn't think a very long suspension really, inproper equipment was the reason he got hurt.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Not much for Hockey, the first video looked like he was going for the puck, and hit him. The second video sure looks like he intended to blast him..........

I have to give the injured guy the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have played hockey my entire life, actually still play over 40 league both ice and roller. I can tell you that that is a perfectly legal hit up until he raises the butt of his stick and lays into the other players neck with it. Look at the vid and stop it at the 8 second mark, it is crystal clear to me just from the position of his elbows and shoulder. His suspension should be permanent and he should be prosecuted for A/B. It would have been a good solid hit if he kept his stick out of it. I have had my share of bad hits, both giving and receiving, however, if that happened to one of our players that dude would have gotten absolutely demolished in the parking lot. All in all a real dirty cheap shot.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 PM

from what i can tell it looked like he tried to drive his elbow into his head. i've done something like that but i was trying to whup the guy in a fight not in a sport. i say low blow
Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

That was a clean hit. Hockey is a contact sport, this can and will happen.
There should be no suspension.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by megacabdad
This looked like a clean hit to me...I was always taught to keep your head up and know who's around you!
I agree.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
I have played hockey my entire life, actually still play over 40 league both ice and roller. I can tell you that that is a perfectly legal hit up until he raises the butt of his stick and lays into the other players neck with it. Look at the vid and stop it at the 8 second mark, it is crystal clear to me just from the position of his elbows and shoulder. His suspension should be permanent and he should be prosecuted for A/B. It would have been a good solid hit if he kept his stick out of it. I have had my share of bad hits, both giving and receiving, however, if that happened to one of our players that dude would have gotten absolutely demolished in the parking lot. All in all a real dirty cheap shot.
That is what I thought when I saw the video from behind the glass
Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by DmaxEter
Dude, I dont watch or follow hockey but man that was a dirty move! What reason did he have to hit that guy? He just did it cause he wanted to it looks like.
Hockey is a contact sport.

Originally Posted by Mocho
It didn't look to bad, the problem is the helmets, don't do much good when they fall off. If they wore proper helmets he might of had a concussion at worst. I wouldn't think a very long suspension really, inproper equipment was the reason he got hurt.
Yes...Players want to be cool and not strap their helmet on properly, and this is the result of it.

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
I see your point Tim.

To me, it looked like a clean shoulder check, and at the end he turned his body away from the glass.

Originally Posted by Clayten
That was a clean hit. Hockey is a contact sport, this can and will happen.
There should be no suspension.
Agree.

Before the check, the player had his head down staring at the puck.

You are setting yourself up for disaster when you do that...

Just like tackling someone in football with your head...good way to paralyze yourself...Fundamentals!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 AM

Initially I thought it was a clean hit, but he should not have raised his elbow and stick.

Hate to say it, but you gotta keep your head up. Someone has their head down with the puck, man you are asking for it...

Situational awareness... I've been caught with my head down and its a surprise when you're suddenly looking up going "what the HECK was that!!!"
Old 11-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by megacabdad
Hockey is a contact sport.

Yes...Players want to be cool and not strap their helmet on properly, and this is the result of it.

I see your point Tim.

To me, it looked like a clean shoulder check, and at the end he turned his body away from the glass.

Agree.

Before the check, the player had his head down staring at the puck.

You are setting yourself up for disaster when you do that...

Just like tackling someone in football with your head...good way to paralyze yourself...Fundamentals!

I agree with most of your assessment.

Head down is a cardinal sin as you know. He should have recognized that he was not paying attention and reduced the level of hit he was gonna put on him. If he did that he would have shown love for the game, respect for other players and would have wound up with the puck placing his team in a position to score. Instead he chose to blatantly and willfully cause harm to an unaware player. I still see his stick on that kids neck, he used it to push off of him while turning out of the check.

Posted with respect for your opinion.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:29 AM

I will agree with you that it could of/should of, been turned down a notch...

And hopefully the suspended player will realize that if/when he returns to the ice.

He will have quite some time to think about it.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

As an over age player he is history. The hit was shoulder to shoulder but slightly from behind and with a lift. There was no stick contact to the neck but the hit had only one purpose and that was to inflict harm on the defenseman.

Quick Reply: Suspended for the season? (Wicked hit)