Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

stripped bolt on right a pillar...how to get it out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
stripped bolt on right a pillar...how to get it out?

OK, this goes back to the accident back in Feb.
I am still cleaning up many screw ups from the poor workmanship and terrible insurance coverage...since its government run and they think they are good.

When the bodyshop put the new windshield in they said they had the a pillars off to do it. they also use an impact to re attach it. DOH!
Reason this came up is because I had a short in the lights and first thing the OTHER bodyshop suspected was a pinched cab light on the right pillar.
When we go to take the pillar cover off, we cannot get the one bolt out...tried and tried. Ended up cutting the a pillar off and now I have one bolt holding it on. They simply said; "Sorry but we cannot get it out."
Now I am stuck with a cut up pillar too. No wire under the bolt.

One of the guys at the bodyshop is trying to tell me we have to take the brass threaded insert out of the steel pillar and then weld another one back in.
Uhh, how do you weld on the steel pillar if its a brass part?
ok, so now I want to get this bolt out and put a new pillar cover on with a working grab handle.

How do I get this bolt out?
It is only sticking out about 1/4" and the bolt and the threads it is in are both stripped.
I thought maybe I could cut the bolt and then drill the rest out but won't the bolt spin with the drill once it bites?

I am done messing with the incompetence and I need to get some things done right.

Any ideas?

I looked at the threaded receptacle and it looks like it was popped into place before the outer skin of the pillar went on.

Any help is appreciated.

I tried prying the bolt under the head to at least try and get it to catch a thread while I gently turn a wrench on the head but no luck...its too close to the pillar.

thanks

Scottyreallywantingtogetthisbehindme
Old 12-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried just grabbing a hold of it and pulling? Is there anyway you can grab a hold of the threaded insert itself with a pair of plies and then try and get the screw out?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Top's Younger Twin

The threaded insert is stripped and its hard to get at...its very visible but its been a real hassle. I bet someone on here will have an old trick or something.

LOL

Scotty
Old 12-19-2005, 08:13 PM

I have one like that on my A-pillar. I just pulled really hard as I was loosening it with the socket wrench. Putting it back on was a little easier but I never could get it super tight...
Old 12-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Can you tack weld a nut on it so you can get it off?

Probably way to small for something like that but I can't picture what you are working with there.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:18 PM

Put some real pressure on the head while you try to unscrew the bolt. If you can get a "door panel popper" that'll be small enough to catch the head, you can pry on it with that, they are thin so you should be able to get that in there and still have room to put a wrench or ratchet on. Keep the upward pressure even after the bolt starts to catch. Hope this'll help at least a little
Old 12-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Top's Younger Twin

I am unable to get anything under the head of the bolt to pry it up to hopefully get it to unthread with a socket. I started denting the steel pillar and it did not catch.

Lary, where would I tack weld it?

Picture the passenger pillar cover off. I have a bolt stuck in one of the threaded receptacles that the bodyshop guy called a press nut. The press nut looks to be brass and has tabs holding it from the other side, which is closed in as the outer skin of the truck/pillar is on the other side of this.

I tried bent nose needle nose under the head as well as wedging a pair of regular needle nose in there but no luck.

Its a pain because the pillar cover is loose and when someone uses the grab handle I can see it flex.

Scotty
Old 12-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by greasemonki
Put some real pressure on the head while you try to unscrew the bolt. If you can get a "door panel popper" that'll be small enough to catch the head, you can pry on it with that, they are thin so you should be able to get that in there and still have room to put a wrench or ratchet on. Keep the upward pressure even after the bolt starts to catch. Hope this'll help at least a little
I think I have one of those here, I will try it...but it might bend before the bolt catches.

thanks

Scotty
Old 12-19-2005, 08:43 PM

Can you get some vice grips on it? Drill it out to relieve pressure on the sides then grab it with some vice grips and spin it out. ????????
Old 12-19-2005, 08:56 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Buy/steal a cheap throwaway socket of the right size. Weld a short extension to the socket and JB Weld the socket to the bolt. Then after it has cured, turn and pull at the same time.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Top's Younger Twin

I will look at that and see if I can tackle it that way.

Thanks for the replies.

That gave me an idea...weld a T handle onto the bolt. The bolt is steel so...maybe?

Scottygonnagetthatboltoutonewayoranother
Old 12-19-2005, 10:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd just recommend heating it with an oxy-acet torch until the brass melts. That should get it out.

Then weld in a new STEEL bung and thread it for a new bolt.

If this doesn't work, then there's always option X: fire up the Sawzall and make it into a convertible
Old 12-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by HOHN
I'd just recommend heating it with an oxy-acet torch until the brass melts. That should get it out.

Then weld in a new STEEL bung and thread it for a new bolt.

If this doesn't work, then there's always option X: fire up the Sawzall and make it into a convertible
Maybe next time I am through, you and I can BOMB the lids of our trucks.

All these logical and technical posts from you and I get this?
SWEET

Thanks Justin.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:51 PM

You have what is basically called a quick set rivit. We use them all the time on hollow panels that we cannot put a nut on. The old camper style mirrors on the doors were one area we used them. Also on roof racks.

The only way I've ever gotten the bloody things out is by cutting the head off with a grinder or cut off wheel. The problem is ........the main portion will fall into your pillar....aka....black hole.....to never be seen but maybe heard .

As crazy as it sounds, heat is a wonderful thing !!! Just remember there is usually wiring in the pillars
Old 12-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by magnum
You have what is basically called a quick set rivit. We use them all the time on hollow panels that we cannot put a nut on. The old camper style mirrors on the doors were one area we used them. Also on roof racks.

The only way I've ever gotten the bloody things out is by cutting the head off with a grinder or cut off wheel. The problem is ........the main portion will fall into your pillar....aka....black hole.....to never be seen but maybe heard .

As crazy as it sounds, heat is a wonderful thing !!! Just remember there is usually wiring in the pillars
I did think about the abyss that the bolt would fall into.
I even tried applying pressure and putting the bolt in further...no luck.

I wonder, would JB weld be strong enough to hold the socket on the bolt if I had a t handle on it? I envision it coming loose and creating some havoc.

I gotta watch I don't start messing up the pillar anymore too.

I think a couple of tack welds to a piece of pipe onto the head of the bolt will be the next mission.

Thanks

Scotty

Quick Reply: stripped bolt on right a pillar...how to get it out?