Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Straight Razors....Who's brave enough to use them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
When my wife went to Austin for her cosmotology license exam, there was a box at the door to the hair cutting part. As you went in, each person had to reach in and select a random paper with a hair cut style and technique. She drew a razor cut. She HAD to use a strait razor to do a haircut on the volenteer she took with her. Part of her particular test was her hands were checked and if she had cuts she failed, eventhough the hair cut she did was fine. Luckily she passed and is been bringing in the bucks for about 20 plus years now.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to shave. Being unkempt drives me nuts-- all that time in the service programmed me. Having stubble irrititates me to no end-- I'd actually consider having one of those procedures done so it would never grow again if I could.

jh
Old 03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks
I cut myself just opening the thread.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My wife still uses hers to cut hair with. She doing tons of the new haircuts with what looks like to me a big chunnk taken out of the back. The bigge the chunk that missing and the more irregular that it is cut out, the more they seems to pay, so she randomly touches the hair with her razor and irregular peices fall to the floor. That thing is extremly dangerous. Hers has replaceable blades, but she does have one that she hones with a leather patch. One slight touch and a block of hair is on the floor.

her scissors is another weapon. Those things are so sharp, they'll lop into your finger without any resistance. We've invested a lot of cash into razors and scissors over the last 20 years.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM

The only thing I remember about the straight razor was the strop that my old man used to use on me - man did that thing hurt.

John (DH)
Old 03-28-2008, 02:58 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
I shave once, maybe twice a week. I hate shaving. Am I brave enough for a straight blade razor???? Heck NO.

Reminds me of a story my grandfather told me. On his second tour in Vietnam, while station in Da Nang, he used to get a haircut and a shave by a local who worked on the US Marine facility. Back then you couldn't be too sure about the loyalty of the locals. Well, while this guy was using a straightblade for shaving, Top would sit there, arms crossed, with his right hand holding a locked and loaded Colt .45 that was resting in his shoulder holster; poking the barber in the chest, of course. Just a reminder that any "misguided" movement with that razor, and he wouldn't had a lung anymore.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPR Ram
I shave once, maybe twice a week. I hate shaving. Am I brave enough for a straight blade razor???? Heck NO.

Reminds me of a story my grandfather told me. On his second tour in Vietnam, while station in Da Nang, he used to get a haircut and a shave by a local who worked on the US Marine facility. Back then you couldn't be too sure about the loyalty of the locals. Well, while this guy was using a straightblade for shaving, Top would sit there, arms crossed, with his right hand holding a locked and loaded Colt .45 that was resting in his shoulder holster; poking the barber in the chest, of course. Just a reminder that any "misguided" movement with that razor, and he wouldn't had a lung anymore.
Thats how I felt when I went on R&R to northern Iraq, the hotel we stayed in had a barber. The whole time he had that straight blade against my neck I was thinking, does he like me or am I another EDIT infidel.

Last edited by jrs_dodge_diesel; 03-28-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Foul Language