Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

straight piped the tractor today...........

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 06:23 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
straight piped the tractor today...........

Took the beast to the muffler shop today and had them do a turbo back exhaust. The ole spark arrester and muffler was choking the gal down and I couldn't here her talk like she should.<br>You talk about a sweet sound now. 45 horses of turbocharged diesel blowing through a straight pipe is a sound that you would have to be right there to enjoy. The sound of that engine dragging 1100 lbs. of 6 1/2 ft disk in 8th gear at 5 mph is kinda like a bullfrog on speed.<br>Guess the truck will be next. Same shop will do a single in/dual out Borla muffler (3 in/2-2 1/2 out) for $200. Without me crawling under the truck, anyone have an idea as to the diameter of the pipe at the resonator?<br>Outa here for now. Smelling corned beef and cabbage coming off the stove.<br><br>gonnaberoughtomorrowShortround out<br><br>
Old 05-20-2003, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:straight piped the tractor today...........

I'd tell ya but you gotta gimme some corned beef &amp; cabbage first. YUM Just don't forget the Beano <br>BTW it should be 3&quot; in and 4&quot; out.<br>Tom
Old 05-21-2003, 09:21 AM

I don't think my 45hp Massey 235's Naturally Aspirated three cylinder Perkins would sound very good with a straight pipe. :-[ <br><br>Hopefully, your straight-pipe is pointing up. If you have it under the axle, with no spark arrester, you might start a grass fire.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:23 AM

I'm with me4osu - I don't think my 75HP naturally aspirated Leyland 270 sounded as good as my truck - but that was some years ago when we would pull the stack after we left the barns. I have kinda gotten used to the ;D from my barely muffled CTD now. Wonder what the 270 will sound like now that I have cultivated the ear for diesels?<br><br>And to think the boss wouldn't know what we did when the pipe came off and we were plowing hard a half mile away :<br><br>I might just have to go find out.........<br><br>Shortround, if it ain't down and out then I hope you have a flap on the exhaust to keep the rain out. Always loved to see the flap stand straight up for most of the day. And if the wind was right the smell of a hot diesel wafted past you instead of the dust from the plow.<br><br>Memories of a bygone time..........
Old 05-21-2003, 10:29 AM

Just brought it out in the stock location. No problem with catching anything on fire. <br>There wasn't much change in the sound other than being able to hear the turbo spooling up. The cooling fan noise is louder than the exhaust.<br>I did notice that the engine didn't try to run hotter like it usually does under a heavy load.<br>An interesting note is that the manufacturer puts the arrestor and heavy muffler on models that are used for primarily commercial purposes. All the agriculture models have straight pipes.<br>I did open the unit up and was surprised that there was four chambers and lots of tiny holes. Probably 65% of the holes were stopped up.<br>Wonder what a set of stack would look like
Old 05-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Banned

My tractor's straight piped. ;D I love that sound.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:55 AM

What motor is in your tractor BB?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:00 AM

The best sound comes from my old '54 Oliver 77 gasser. That long stroke 6 banger really talks under a load. The foot or better of fire coming out of the stack looks nice right around dusk. However, keeping fuel in it will put you in the poor house. 6-8 gal per hour with the bush hog singing.