Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Storm Damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel for all the people out in the middle of that stuff. The last time it happened here. our power was out for 13 1/2 days and we were working 80 hours a week to boot. The secondary grid (13.5 lines and such) was literally destroyed for miles and miles and had to be rebuilt from scratch. I don't ever remember seeing anything like this in my life when it happened here and I lived up north for about 25 years or so. It will get better eventually.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those storms are nasty, glad your safe....
Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Troy.. How you doing? Hope they got your power back up ...
Now tehy are saying that we get one day to thaw it all out , then Friday night thru Saturday, anywhere from 2-4 inches of snow here, Wichita area may get 6-8 inches..
Some of the areas in teh south central area of the state are already looking at another 10 days or better before the power grid is back up, if we get teh snow, well, it may be a month...
We've been declared a disastour.. like that helps?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW Chris - that's the second real big mess this year, I thought the floods this summer were bad, but this will probably FAR exceed that, eh?

When I drove to MN twice this summer, a month apart, I saw a lot of the flooding damages, that mess just took your breath away. Houses with mud lines just below the roof line. Can't imagine the personal agony that goes with it all.

The biggest ice storm I was ever in was in 82 or 82 when I lived in PA. The ice was over an inch thick, power lines down everywhere, trees broken down all over the roads. My normal ride home of 20 minutes turned into about 3 hours. I worked in the mines then, came out of the mine at midnight, no power in any of the mines outbuildings, good thing I had a cap lamp. No shower after work that night and no shower when I got home until I got the generator up and running. I was without grid power for close to a month, some in my area were longer. I was glad I had a generator and even more glad I had a woodburner.

I hope it all gets back up an running much faster than the estimates and everyones damage is less. All disaster declaration does is put money into all the emergency operations, and give you lower interest rates on loans to fix your stuff, you end up with most all the expenses that are not covered by your homeowners insurance. Acts of nature sometimes are excluded in homeowners, the new policies don't cover much without riders for specifics.

CD