Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Storm Damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:17 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Storm Damage

Well, the ice storm is about half way through they are saying, gonna turn to snow in an hour or so...
We have now received about an inch of ice on everything, and I am loosing trees and branches all over...
I posted some photos in the watercooler thread, and I had thought that was gonna be it...
until the 60 foot willow in the front yard got tired...the branch that is resting on the roof is about 16 inches round and the butt of it is resting on a 3 inch branch... i am expecting it to come down any second. Hopefully we wont lose the windows and shingle when it does, but there isn't anything I can do about it right now...
The other branch is still hanging by the tree bark, it is broken about 35 foot off the round....hoepfully it will hang on until I can get someone out here with the equipment to deal with it. All I could do is hurt myself.....
Attached Thumbnails Storm Damage-willow6.jpg   Storm Damage-willow7.jpg   Storm Damage-willow8.jpg  
Old 12-11-2007, 07:28 PM
REALLY old dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Chris , Do You Have Hay Rope ? Come-a-long If So Tomorrow During The Daylight You Might Be Able To Use A Weight On A Close Line To Get Where Yoiu Need To Go And Then Pull Hay Rope Up To Where It Needs To Be Hook Com-a-long To Tree And Pull Big Branch Away From Your House - I Know You Dont Want To Loose Tree But Save House First .
Sorry To Hear And See All The Problems - Wish I Was Closer -ive Got Enough Gear - I Would Come Over And Help.
Horses Inside Barn? Don`t Need Any Slip&falls There Eather !
What Ever You Do Be Careful!
Unfortanatelly There Are So Many Problems Out There You Might Have Quite A List In Front Of You.
You Going To Work Tonight ?
Claude
Old 12-11-2007, 07:36 PM

No , I dont have to work tonight at least.. and actually, i am better off thansome of the guys over on teh Missouri side... I hear Satburn's been without power all day, adn that means no heat.....
Old 12-11-2007, 07:37 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Yikes! I wont whine about my winter any more. Hope your power stays on and your damage is minimal.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

This may sound silly but is there any way to build a fire underneath the branch (admittedly I didn't look at the pictures real close). When the ice storm came through back in 2000 the branches on the tree in my front yard were about to come down on my powerline coming to our house. I had a 55 gal drum and moved it under the branches and built a fire in it. After about an hour it had melted all the ice on the branches. Problem solved. Well I say problem solved.... Our power was out for over 2 weeks but at least they didn't have to come out and replace the drop to our house. Just a thought.

Hope things get better out there. It looks pretty bad from here.

Britt

Old 12-11-2007, 07:58 PM

Goode idea Brit, but I am afrid that its so precarious, it would coem down anyways and I'd jsut have a 55 gallon drum of fire wedged into teh front of the house..
the local VFF would love that tonight I'm sure!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Goode idea Brit, but I am afrid that its so precarious, it would coem down anyways and I'd jsut have a 55 gallon drum of fire wedged into teh front of the house..
the local VFF would love that tonight I'm sure!!!
Yeah... Scratch that idea... That doesn't sound too good after all. I do hope things get better out there for you though.

Britt

Old 12-11-2007, 08:40 PM

Well, while this seems pretty bad to me, I know there are a lot of folks who are worse.. they've opened shelters for those without heat/water, several homes have been damaged, we also have areas that are flooding, and there are at least 25 dead............so in light of that, a few branches isn't too bad.....

i believe Satburn and a few of the other members over in Mo are without power and heat and they aren't complaining. I guess I just like to whine....
Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 PM

Chris .... hang on buddy, just start thinking warm thoughts !!

Isn't that what all you Kansas folk say ..... "There's no place like home, there's no place like home"

Hollar if we can do something for ya.

PISTOL
Old 12-11-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HEy Chris it looks like were in the same boat I've been without power since sun morning around6AM the power co. says it will probably be after the first of the year before we are back on line. The RWD i'm on has lost all power as well so to add insult to injury we have no water either. there are at least 50 poles broken off at the ground between my house and the substation. Skiatook is almost a total loss the peowr is out from here to the south end of tulsa about a 40 mile radius the power co. are concentrating on the hospitals etc... and the closest vacant motel room is about 70 miles from here. I'm going to try to cut the trees away from my travel trailer tomorrow and try to pull it somewhere with power and come home during the day to haul water for the livestock and try to keep things from freezing. The saving grace down here is that it has not been horribly cold so we havent lost any water pipe so far. I hope you get hte trees off of your house withut incident. Not sure whae I will be back on here Ya'll stay warm and be safe.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 PM

Hey Chris, if you guys need any help with cleanup and such, I'm just down the road in Wichita where somehow we've avoided this mess.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:03 AM

ChrisR you got a mess there. Hope it can be cleaned up with out much damage.
Several others are also caught by the storm. Will insurance cover any of the cost of the cleanup and repair. Hope it works out and let us know if there is anything we can do to help. I am too far away.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:20 PM

Well, Tree Dr's brother is also a tree doctor, adn not too far from me..
He came over this morning and despite my help, got it all off teh roof and got teh hanging stuff down..
Nice watching someone who knows what they are doing..
and hes got a very nice second gen 3500/flatbed I tryed to trade my 1st Gen for( he woldnt go for it)..

so its all laying flat in teh yard untill I can get it cut up..
Old 12-12-2007, 12:57 PM

He came over this morning and despite my help, got it all off teh roof and got teh hanging stuff down..
and hes got a very nice second gen 3500/flatbed I tryed to trade my 1st Gen for( he woldnt go for it)..

Thanks for the update. You sound more like your old self now.
Can't figgure out why he would not trade trucks with you
Old 12-12-2007, 01:10 PM

Well thats good news. Now if everything would just warm up.

Britt

Quick Reply: Storm Damage