Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Stopping at weight scales

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 10:17 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Herb, I like the not for hire idea, now get everybody here to send you a local campground sticker to stick on that sleeper and you might be all set.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:44 AM

I know there have been many CDL discussions, and I don't know how much goes by individual state, but in my CDL manual I just got (going to be going for my CDL just so I have it) it states:

On October 26, 1986, Congress passed the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act. This law requires each state to meet the same minimum standards for commercial driver licensing. The standards require commercial motor vehicle drivers to hold a Commercial Driver's License (CDL). A "commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle or combination used in commerce to transport passengers or property. You must have a CDL to operate any of the following Commercial Motor Vheicles (CMVs):

-A vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 pounds.

-A combination of trailer and towing unit which exceeds 26,000 pounds GVWR with the trailer exceeding 10,000 pounds GVWR.

-A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons (including the driver).

-Any size vehicle which transports hazardous materials which require placarding.

The following vehicles are not considered "commercial motor vehicles" and are therefore exempt from the commercial licensing requirements:

-Farm vehicles owned and operated by a farmer within 150 miles radius of the farm.

-Emergency vehicles of a fire department.

-Military vehicles operated by military personel.

-Recreational vehicles.

Jim
Old 08-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Banned

Am I misreding this, By weight don't we all need a CDL.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:23 PM

I guess it depends who you ask. I was told by the N.H. DOT that the weights shown above only apply to commercial vehicles (as stated above, those used in comerce) that meet the above qualifications. I have a box truck (GVW of aprox. 14,000 lbs) and a ramp truck (GVW aprox. 13,000 lbs.) and since both are registered to my name and not a company, have no business information and advertisements on them, and I don't accept money for the hauling I do, I'm not driving comercial vehicles and don't need a CDL. Check with your particular state's DOT to see what they say.

Jim
Old 08-26-2005, 05:41 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by 99 cummins
Am I misreding this, By weight don't we all need a CDL.
Don't miss the important phrase in that regulation.

A "commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle or combination used in commerce to transport passengers or property. You must have a CDL to operate any of the following Commercial Motor Vheicles (CMVs):