Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Stipid Superbowl Tricks...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Stipid Superbowl Tricks...

I just saw where some people are mortgaging their houses to get the money to go to the Superbowl!

Anyone else have similar tales?

Edwin
Old 02-05-2005, 08:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
To GO to the Superbowl or BET on the Superbowl?

Either one sounds pretty stupid to me.
But then I can't even see the logic in painting any body parts my team colors...

Chris
Old 02-05-2005, 08:52 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People are not too bright. There was a movie from the mid 90's with Denerio, called "A Bronx Tale". It has some interesting quotes about idolizing sports figures. The basics of it are, Kids treat these Baseball or insert other professional sport here_) like THEY are putting food on their table. What about a kids father who works hard every day to provide for his family? He get's laughed at, a mere Bus Driver, or Mecahnic, or what have you (insert your boring career here) while he is the real star. People today hold these Pro Ball players up as Gods and crap on their own family. Weird, but it's how we (some of us) are as Americans......
Old 02-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I pretty much gave up on "Pro" sports after watching the "players" who are pulling down a million dollars a year or more(not including the multi-million dollar signing bonus) , go on strike 'cuz they felt they weren't being paid enough.
And "Pro" sports is the only place I've seen where a 1st year rookie makes more than a 5 year veteran.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Shovelhead
I pretty much gave up on "Pro" sports after watching the "players" who are pulling down a million dollars a year or more(not including the multi-million dollar signing bonus) , go on strike 'cuz they felt they weren't being paid enough.
And "Pro" sports is the only place I've seen where a 1st year rookie makes more than a 5 year veteran.
I don't feel so bad about the players striking when put into perspective. They just want a bigger piece of the pie that the owners are making. I believe the owners AND players are making too much, and the prices of tickets and advertising should go down. But since there are plenty of people who will actually pay those premium prices......

What gets me is how, with all their money, they want the cities to put in big bucks for building or renovating the field/stadium when they have all the money and the cities are the ones strapped for cash. Why do they need any money at all? If they did their market research and are sure enough suckers live in the area to sell out their home game tickets, what more do they need?

Chris
Old 02-06-2005, 10:10 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Shovelhead

i agree. it's no longer for the love of the game. it's how much can you put in my checking account.

britt

Old 02-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Right on, Stamey! Philly's school system sucked so bad that the state had to take it over (of course it still sucks), but they had the money to build new stadiums for the crappy Phillies and the last-minute choker Eagles.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:41 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lost all respect for Pro players over the strikles. Hard to sympathize with some of tehm that are making millons a year and crying about it not being enough...

Loved the movie " The Replacements"...
Old 02-06-2005, 01:09 PM

I rarely watch any pro games, I'd much rather watch something NCAA since they aren't getting paid insane amounts of money to play.

Yea, it was a good movie and is quite suiting.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:27 PM

I wanna see Janet Jackson's left boob!
Old 02-06-2005, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Geico266
I wanna see Janet Jackson's left boob!

looks like the right one not bad!

but i'm with you. it was more exciting than last years game!

britt

Old 02-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They make money because we pay money. There's alot of advertising dollars, and the advertisers get their money. It is just capitalism. Maybe they don't love the game, but a lot of us do. Or at least enjoy it. Stop complaining. Too many people get the mentality that if people are rich, they shouldn't care when they get robbed or ripped off. Or hit in the head with a cup full of beer.

Excuse me, I don't care how much money I have. If you hit me in the head with a cup full of beer, in front of one million people, and I happen to be 7 feet of solid muscle... You're getting it. It doesn't matter how much money people have, they are still people. Just because people have money doesn't mean they don't want more; they still think the same way we do. Human greed is human greed. Human ambition, no matter your plane of success, is always pushing you to the infinite horizon.

I think that most people are just jealous.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Begle1
They make money because we pay money. There's alot of advertising dollars, and the advertisers get their money. It is just capitalism. Maybe they don't love the game, but a lot of us do. Or at least enjoy it. Stop complaining. Too many people get the mentality that if people are rich, they shouldn't care when they get robbed or ripped off. Or hit in the head with a cup full of beer.

Excuse me, I don't care how much money I have. If you hit me in the head with a cup full of beer, in front of one million people, and I happen to be 7 feet of solid muscle... You're getting it. It doesn't matter how much money people have, they are still people. Just because people have money doesn't mean they don't want more; they still think the same way we do. Human greed is human greed. Human ambition, no matter your plane of success, is always pushing you to the infinite horizon.

I think that most people are just jealous.
Not complaining just stating a fact.

You bring up some pretty good points. I like to watch the games just as much as the next guy. You will however never make me feel sorry for anyone bringing home multi-million dollar contracts for tossing a ball around. Although they are the best in their field (and I couldn’t do it) it is still just that, throwing a ball around. I realize the fans are ultimately responsible for paying their salaries but to hear any one of them COMPLAIN about the money they aren’t getting? Give me a break!

Am I jealous of them? Nope. I make enough money to support my family, have a nice little house, a real nice truck, good job, and good friends. I could always use more money just as we all could. But if I had any more it would just be wasted on toys or something else.

I would hate to see these guys work a “real” job. Actually no, I would love to see it. Lets see some of them pick up body parts off the freeway after a family of 4 dies because of a drunk driver. Lets see them try to resuscitate a 6-week-old infant because of family abuse. Lets see them work the counter at the local fast food restaurant or pick up your trash. Then and only then could you complain to me about the money you aren’t making. Just because it’s human greed or human ambition doesn’t make it right.

Oh yeah, by the way. You could throw all of the beer at me you wanted to for $50 million a year. The guy selling the beer at the stadium is making a lot less.

Just my opinion.

Britt

Old 02-07-2005, 12:19 PM

I know all about the problems with Sports I live in Cinncinnati. We have two teams that we can't even get rid of. sure they are doing a little better know but I figure after 10 years of not haveing a winning season why the heck did we built TWO NEW BALL PARKS they actually said that if we did not build them the stadiums that they would leave I wish they woudl leave!! no more bungals or retard reds

DM01