Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Steer Wrestlin

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by derek840378
get injured and you cant compete anymore. you'll do your new way, get hurt and everyone else will still be doing the "old-fasioned" way. how big are ya? most steerwrestlers are over 6' and 200lbs

6'-255lbs. not round, but solid, Most of my height comes from my torso, legs are 30". SO i have great acceleration when running, but I top out quick, haha

there is a picture of me on here somewhere...
ummm, I hope Streetsmoker does not mind me posting this from his gallery...

in the middle kneeling, i put on my Walbro setup that day, and it was a hot one.

I do not want to sound like I am braggin or anything here either..but just FYI

Bench 315 for 6 reps x 3 sets right now, working my way to 405 as a one rep max..almost there..

Sqaut twice my body weight.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyGA
anyone ever done it?

Did you like it, or was it something that you would rather leave to someone else?

I have been thinkin about gettin into it, but wanted to hear of any tips or learn something about the rules if anyone can point me to the right place to read...
As far as I'm concerned there is no good reason to jump off of a perfectly good horse and try to wrestle a steer to the ground. It's not like he stole your woman or anything.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
As far as I'm concerned there is no good reason to jump off of a perfectly good horse and try to wrestle a steer to the ground. It's not like he stole your woman or anything.

ever seen a dog that chases a car for no reason, just imagine me riding on a horse and barking after that steer.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hoss
That is just like sky diving....I ain't jumpin' out no plane unless it has lost a wing and the rest of it is on fire!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:53 AM

UPDATE: Well, I talked to a guy last night that raises the steers that they use in the local Rodeo's. He said that he has guys come out all the time to pracitce, adn that I was more than welcome, and he would show me the basics, and lt me build on it from there...

He told me how he does all newbies. Puts steer in chute, I get out in front of chute, he trips chute, and prods the steer, steer runs out, my job to wrestle him down. He did inform me that the last fella went for a ride to the other end of the arena, and had dirt in his ears, mouth, nose, pretty much all orifices...

I will video this for yall..if you promise not to laugh.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:04 AM

Chute ******* is the best way to learn the technique. I've seen bean poles throw steers better than big guys simply because their technique was better. my youngest boy has started chutedogging at the youth rodeos. He rides steers and junior bulls but is still learning the chutedogging. He is tall and thin so technique will be important to him also. But he has to pick up more events in order to compete in the all around. He is also going to start broncs and saddle broncs as soon as they let him.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HappyGA
UPDATE: Well, I talked to a guy last night that raises the steers that they use in the local Rodeo's. He said that he has guys come out all the time to pracitce, adn that I was more than welcome, and he would show me the basics, and lt me build on it from there...

He told me how he does all newbies. Puts steer in chute, I get out in front of chute, he trips chute, and prods the steer, steer runs out, my job to wrestle him down. He did inform me that the last fella went for a ride to the other end of the arena, and had dirt in his ears, mouth, nose, pretty much all orifices...

I will video this for yall..if you promise not to laugh.
I promise not to laugh.......... Opps.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Chapter President

The closest I have come to bulldoggin {other than working the chutes(I hate working the chutes because of the doggers that blow their horses minds)} was practicing on a skid steer at the college. I'm built for it (6'2 and 220(used to be 250))but if I'm gonna get off my horse during the run I'll have the calf roped and stopped. (I need to take up calf roping.)