Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

STEALERS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:STEALERS!!!!

Thanks Jack. I just didn't want it to become like that one tranny thread I started a while back. Remember that one? I know we are more mature than the TDR. That's what I love about this place. You can start a debate without someone yelling and screaming over stupid stuff.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:08 PM

Oh, in that case Jack I'll go for the jugular Just kiddin
Old 10-10-2002, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU are a bad man Luke
Old 10-10-2002, 05:21 PM

Here is one experience I had with my &quot;ford&quot; dealer many years ago. New Ranger, 5000 mi. on it the floor shifter came out of the tranny drove to the dealer in 2nd gear, they told me it was'nt covered because it was'nt an 'internal part'<br>some kind of plastic thingy. OK sell me the thingy i'll fix it. Well you'll have to drop the tranny and split the case to replace. hummm.. not internal,<br> About 2 hours later I was driving home a rental, on the house I think my point is I did'nt loose my cool and let them point out their own faults.<br> Wade-
Old 10-10-2002, 05:50 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

There ya go wade!. A calm head always prevails. Just ask my wife! ;D
Old 10-10-2002, 08:06 PM

And people wonder why my truck have 100,000 miles on them when I get them. <br>It is nice to have the warranty backing you up if something goes wrong, but I know for a fact, if I get something with wheels, I've got to make it faster. That's why I buy used trucks. I know it's a gamble. I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000 on my last truck on the tranny. After it was rebuilt, I sold it. Not saying I was pawning it off on someone else. I just read so much about the auto tranny Dodge uses I decided I wanted a 5 speed. I also wanted the extended cab too so it was an easy choice. The other truck was sold with a 12 month/12,000 miles warranty.<br><br>If something breaks, I have to fix it. So far, I've been fortunate(except for that KDP thingy &gt;)<br>
Old 10-10-2002, 08:44 PM

This is what I like to see - heated but civil discussion! Remember &quot;You only have one chance to make a first impression.&quot; This goes both ways in the dealer customer relations(not that I am defending this dealer,he sounds like a jerk).
Old 10-10-2002, 10:13 PM

Great thread. Blue, you got a good head on your shoulders. Speaking for myself and I'm sure Top, we would like someone like you in our outfits. Even old goats like us get our danders up but it's in the execution of the response that gets the best (we hope) results. Nothing gives greater pleasure then making the other guy feel like a fool, and you haven't even lost your cool.
Now, if I could get a decent response from someone (maybe Luke S??) about what is considered reasonable mods without endangering our warrenties, like, well, all the gauges (egt, trans temp, fuel pressure, boost, etc)for instance. The different types of airfilters we seem to be coming up with (yes, I know about k&amp;n, that's why I went with the BHAF). I know that when I upgrade my tranny to one of the superior upgrades we all know about, that part no longer is of concern to Dodge. Perhaps this would be better off as a new thread. It's just that I'm sitting here with a 2001.5 with about 7700 miles on it (time will run out before the mileage does), concerned about what is reasonable and not.

~Dave
Old 10-10-2002, 10:19 PM
Banned

I talked with the regional manager personally today. He said that gauges do NOT void warranty. They just don't want to be responsible for them breaking while it is in their shop. That is why they wanted it back to stock. The BHAF doesn't void it either. Although, I'd keep the stock airbox just in case something does happen. Exhaust is cool to (this guy actually liked the way a straight piped Cummins sounded ;D). Anything really with the tranny (minus the gauge) will void the warranty on everything from the tranny back. Meaning your driveshaft, rear end, axle, etc. The engine and all will still be covered.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dealers aren't dumb though. :

They know that if you are up to putting guages in, you are either currently BOMBed, have been, or soon will be.
I think that'll at least warrant a flag on your VIN for future warranty work.

And the fact that putting guages in tampers with the engine or components (drilling the manifold, banjo bolts, etc) they could void the warranty for some things on the spot.

I've heard of dealers voiding or at least threatening, for aftermarket air filters, be it the BHAF, K&amp;N, even modified air boxes (the TDR holes for example).

phox
Old 10-10-2002, 10:45 PM
Banned

I'm surprised they haven't on mine. I just got all new sensors and stuff in my tranny, now I am getting a new lift pump. But the tranny the mechanic said has happened on other trucks and the fuel pump, well, it's the fuel pump. So these aren't new things that have never happened before. I'm surprised they didn't say anything about my valve cover. I painted it myself this weekend. Ford red. I left an outline of black around the lettering. It looks so awesome. I'll have to get pics up. Now I just need to clean the aluminum up on it so it shines. It's a pain getting that thing off of there. Oh well. It was well worth it.

Oh yeah, I did a post turbo EGT so nothing would go through the turbo. Can't argue with the banjo bolt but you have to have one to install a full time FP gauge. And the boost gauge, well, I don't see what that could mess up.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:28 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t type well enough to completely explain, but I my defense the dealer never once asked me if there were any known problems with my old truck. ( only wanted to make a sale)<br>If I were going to buy a used truck there is no dealer that I know of would volunteer any bad info that he new of, so why should I. Maybe in the future I need to take my business to the show me state? <br>
Old 10-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Banned

If they don't ask, I don't tell. That's my motto. Only tell them what they want to know and nothing else. Silence is golden. ;D
Old 10-11-2002, 01:23 PM

Big Blue, I don't know who you talked to but in the past when we have talked to Cummins about problems they have asked us if the truck had any mods like air cleaners/intakes and exhausts. You could talk to about 50 different people and I think you would get about 100 different answers. We just basically have to use our judgement and look at each situation individually.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:41 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Blue you know you have one strike against you just being as young as you are. It is natural for many people to assume that a young man will be pushing the envelope of performance on a fairly regular basis. We old guy's never step down hard on that pedal!.... Did it just seem to cloud up in here to you guys?. ??? <br><br>hehehe<br><br>

Quick Reply: STEALERS!!!!