Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Static shock

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Static shock

Guys, I have noticed since the weather is turning cooler, when I get out of the truck grab the door to close it I get a bad shock sometimes. I noticed it only once or twice while it was summer, now its just about all the time. > This would not be a good thing when you fill up. I could just picture grabbing the fueling nozzle, jamming in the truck and wind up riding a mushroom cloud to glory!! :'(
Old 10-24-2002, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:Static shock

Heres one for ya...<br><br>Walk around a carpeted floor with socks on... then reach down to your pc (with the case open) and touch the metal housing of your pc's hard drive.<br><br>mmmmm... the sound of a crashing hard drive.<br><br>Kinda goes: Tick, clickity-clickity-clickity, tick.... over and over and then finally you just hear a clunk, tick, clunk, tick... If your lucky enough, you can hard boot it, and listen to the same sounds over again.<br> <br><br>Yes, here at work, a pc tech actually toasted a hard drive that way.<br>The biggest question in our minds was.. what the *&amp;#$ was he doing walking around with out any shoes?<br><br>.... he's no longer here.<br><br><br>Rich
Old 10-24-2002, 11:51 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=Huey link=board=10;threadid=6227;start=0#56931 date=1035474012]<br>Guys, I have noticed since the weather is turning cooler, when I get out of the truck grab the door to close it I get a bad shock sometimes. I noticed it only once or twice while it was summer, now its just about all the time. &gt; This would not be a good thing when you fill up. I could just picture grabbing the fueling nozzle, jamming in the truck and wind up riding a mushroom cloud to glory!! :'(<br>[/quote]<br><br>That's why they say you should discharge any static electricity you have built up before pumping gas...
Old 10-24-2002, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dieseldaze: Don't forget the last noise before crashing, the tapokita tapokita klunk klunk sizzle.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:58 AM

[quote author=dieseldude4x4 link=board=10;threadid=6227;start=0#56994 date=1035478449]<br>Dieseldaze: Don't forget the last noise before crashing, the tapokita tapokita klunk klunk sizzle.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Kind of reminds you of a CTD doesn't it... :
Old 10-24-2002, 12:02 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote author=Hoss link=board=10;threadid=6227;start=0#56992 date=1035478286]<br>[quote author=Huey link=board=10;threadid=6227;start=0#56931 date=1035474012]<br>Guys, I have noticed since the weather is turning cooler, when I get out of the truck grab the door to close it I get a bad shock sometimes. I noticed it only once or twice while it was summer, now its just about all the time. &gt; This would not be a good thing when you fill up. I could just picture grabbing the fueling nozzle, jamming in the truck and wind up riding a mushroom cloud to glory!! :'(<br>[/quote]<br><br>That's why they say you should discharge any static electricity you have built up before pumping gas...<br>[/quote]<br><br>Do Not try this in a Diesel
Old 10-24-2002, 12:03 PM

...or diesel.... :
Old 10-24-2002, 12:04 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote author=Hoss link=board=10;threadid=6227;start=0#57007 date=1035479008]<br>...or diesel.... :<br>[/quote]
Old 10-24-2002, 09:58 PM

Don't worry. If you've just shocked yourself, sliding out of your seat and then touching metal before picking up the fuel handle, you've just discharged yourself. As far as creating a static shock while fueling. It's pretty hard to do. The pumps are grounded very well. Without getting into too many details, basically the pump is grounded three ways. Once on the shell of the pump, once on the conduit leading into the pump and once on the pump handle with a ground wire wound in with the rubber coating and attached to the metal part of the pump handle and back to pump ground attachment point. We actually prefer to call most of this bonding. For some reason, I manage to generate alot of static shocks so I've become rather acquainted with the touch. When you remove the pump nozzle from the pump and place it in the fuel intake point, you're touching metal to metal. You've created a bond of ground. Activating the pump, as long as you don't play with the nozzle by moving it around, you're just hunky dory. You find alot of problems with people who bring in gas cans for their lawn mowers who don't really bond their cans, metal to metal, so to speak, before putting fuel in the cans. <br><br>But, remember, I'm the guy who needs a bite of 110v in the morning just to get going. ;D ;D ;D ;D <br><br>~Dave<br>
Old 10-24-2002, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Static electricity is generated better in dry weather. In high humidity there is little effect. With gasoline it can be a problem but with diesel it would have to heated and vaporized to do anything. You discharge yourself when you touch the pump. Some of the sprays like Scotchguard prevent buildup and leather usually will not cause it. Nylon and plastic is the big generator. Nylon in the seats and rugs.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:06 AM

If you are filling gas cans in the bed of your truck DO NOT do it if the truck has a plastic slide in bed liner. It will spark a fire as the can is not grounded. I have seen it happen and it will burn right up your arm. Just set the can out on the ground and fill it.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

[quote author=Horse Hauler link=board=10;threadid=6227;start=0#57386 date=1035554812]<br>If you are filling gas cans in the bed of your truck DO NOT do it if the truck has a plastic slide in bed liner. It will spark a fire as the can is not grounded. I have seen it happen and it will burn right up your arm. Just set the can out on the ground and fill it.<br>[/quote]<br>Guess that would explain how all my long sleeve shirts ended up short sleeve
Old 10-26-2002, 04:30 AM

Huey, I well know what you talking about. Something that works for me is to grip the door with a bare hand (best) when getting out. This will keep you in contact with the body and greatly reduce the one inch blue arc. <br><br>Jerry
Old 10-26-2002, 02:55 PM

I usually get the huge ZAP when I hit the door lock button! Guess I should start using the remote! <br><br>Tony

Quick Reply: Static shock