Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Starting a cheap website...If there is a way ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting a cheap website...If there is a way ??

Here is my dilema. I have had a Framing business for the past 8 years now. When I was starting out I was doin all kinds of small jobs, then I ended up dealing with a few builders. Since I had steady work for these builders, I stopped going after other jobs. I ended up putting all my eggs in one basket. The wife said I should not do that, but at the time I did not have anybody I could trust (quality wise) to be a foreman, and you can't tell the builders to hold on. Anyway...the time I had feared is here and there are alot of companies going under. I am trying NOT to be one of them.
I have signed up with a lead service and they are OK as long as I shut them down when needed and keep my eyes on them. BUT what I do find overwhelming is how many leads in my area I could get if I wanted to pay for them.
SO, is there any way I could get a simple web site (or just a page is fine) up to draw these people in? Keep in mind that I am a construction worker, NOT a computer whiz. I have read some posts in the past about site creating and it all reads so fuzzy to me. Unfortunately the time I decide that this would be a good idea is the same time that I am very very low on funds.
Any help and information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dan
Old 03-13-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did my own website, I went through network solutions. It is like 100 bucks a year. you can build the website yourself too, it is pretty easy to use. The only thing that is tuff is to get a ranking. Every Website has a ranking. It takes awhile for search engines to recognize new ones. But, if you just want a wesite to show off work you have done or put information about your company on there it is cool. But if you are looking for search engine leads, that is a different story. IT takes a pretty good computer guy/gal to do that. And I think it cost money too. Hope this helps a little.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.godaddy.com

simple and cheap. and there tech support is awesome.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by Dean Snow
www.godaddy.com

simple and cheap. and there tech support is awesome.
I second the Godaddy!!
Now building the site ain't so easy unless you have the ability to really comprehend the techie garb.
I maintained a website for my daughters B-Ball team for 1 yr. It kicked my behind!! I'm fairly savy with computers, software and stuff but the website stuff is tougher than it looks. It was for me anyway!!
It's not impossible to learn and if you're really driven it could work out for ya.
Don't mean to paint a bleak picture, just want you to be prepared for the work ahead.
It's not like creating a MYSPACE page.
It does get easier as you figure it out though.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:53 AM

If you have the computer savy, you could always host your own with an old computer running linux, not that hard to do, and get a domain name and DNS service is like 30 bucks or something a year if you shop around, just an option. But then you have no tech support and not much help with development of your site.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Banned

Godaddy is the way to go for hosting and name purchases.

I wouldn't waste your time trying to build a site though. It won't come out like a professional site anyway. There are sites like www.GetAFreelancer.com where you can post your web design work up for bid. The people who bid on your project will have feedback so you know that they're competent. It only costs around $100-150 to have a professional website done these days.