Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Stainless Steel Knowledge, come inside...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stainless Steel Knowledge, come inside...

I've got a project at school where the case study wants to know what type of stainless steel I would recommend to use in the interior tub of a top-loading washing machine. If someone knows what type stainless steel is used in these, let me know.

Also, if anyone knows the price of these stainless steels they'd be greatly appreciated. I don't care if it's a sheet, pipe, roll etc. just as long as they're the same thing, so I can see the price difference.

Types:

302B
304L

or perhaps Ferritic??

I would probably go on and recommend 304 b/c it has great corrosion resistance, good strength, and fabricability. Though, I've thought about 301 if it could hold up and the price was much less...

Most of the info I've gotten so far is from this website using the different grades: http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/301.asp

Thanks
Old 02-12-2006, 06:25 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

use carbon steel, have it powder coated and justify your job for the next year in cost savings. For your application, price is of greater concern over mechanical strength.

www.mcmaster-carr.com has a listing of some stainless steels.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:27 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
The answer depends to some extent on the manufacturing process. For example, it the tub is going to maunfactured by drawing or spinning, then maybe 305 would be the best. If it is going to be made in sections and welded, then maybe 304 would be more suitable.
Suggest that you look at the method of manufacture first, then decide on the material.
Sorry, can't be of much more help.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have that much experience with SS, but these guys do; http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php

You'll have to join but it's free. And they're a decent group too. Almost as good as here, but not quite. If they can't outright answer your questions, they'll know where to get the info.

chaikwa.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:42 PM

The criteria for the case study says it's gonna be drawn, so I guess I"ll look into 305 SS. Also, they also mention the pro's and con's of cold rolling the steel in the section where it will be drawn the most (toward the top of the tub). Thanks for the help so far...
Old 02-14-2006, 12:18 PM

Check out the chloride stress corrosion cracking resistance of the various SS's to chlorine bleach... Free chlorine does ugly things to stainless steels at points of stress. Makes it brittle as an eggshell.
See what kind of SS some of the commercial front loading washer tubs are made of as they deal with bleach all the time.

K.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:22 PM

Tanks

We use 316L Stainless in everything in our building (bioreactors, buffer tanks ect) they stand up to the process, steam, heat, acid, caustic, everything. There all Electro Polished and very clean, but it's what we use. I forget where we import it from (think ireland) It's not in US though, higher quality from the over sea's guys. This is for pharmucitical Manufacturing, problably a bit more than a washer tub.

Find a site with metals, you'll learn a lot. Used to work with 304, 305, 316, 440, those where the main parts of our pressure pump. Each has pro's cons, some will rust (rouge) some won't. But you give up certain things for each, some are brittle but strong, some are weak but maulable (spelling)

Mcmaster, or Grainger should have some pricing for you.