Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Spray-On bedliner and Non-Ferrous Metals

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray-On bedliner and Non-Ferrous Metals

Has anyone ever found a good way to apply bedliner to non-ferrous metals, specifically aluminum???

Here's the story:

I have a shotgun which got a small bit of rust last season...This is my "get wet and muddy" waterfowl gun...I decided to paint it camo, and after searching I found something interesting...Guys on refugeforums.com were using Dupli-Color brand spray-on bedliner to spray their guns...Dupli-Color is available at auto parts stores and Wal-Mart...

I thought it was a good idea and the results looked good in pics, so I decided to try it...It turned out good BUT, it flakes off of the receiver...The stuff absolutely WILL NOT bond to it...I have stripped and sprayed the gun 3 times now, cleaning it first with alcohol, then carb cleaner, and most recently brake cleaner...I figured oil in the metal was the culprit, but I dont think so anymore...I mean the stuff adheres to the barrel great, need a wire wheel to strip it, but you can pick it off of the receiver with your fingernails...This sux

The only thing I havent tried is to prime it first...Think it would help? Or is there something else I'm missing?? No priming is needed according to the label, but it sure seems that it doesnt like aluminum

For those interested, here is the original thread
Old 12-14-2005, 01:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Best to call the manufacturer and see what they recommend, or go on line and ask. I agree it's a priming issue, zinc phospate rings a bell for priming aircraft aluminum prior to paint.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bingo .... gotta prime aluminum or it won't stick. I don't know if you can get zinc chromate in a spray or not. The stuff they use on the ships and aircraft smells like bleu cheese ... really strange.

Try regular primer first. Might last a while.

PISTOL