Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Spam text messages on NExtel phone.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Spam text messages on NExtel phone.

Getting the same text message on a Nextel cell phone from the same person. Get about 10 messages per day. Have replied with "stop" and sent severl e-mails to the address to "stop." Called Nextel and a supervisor said that that number would be blocked and the messages would stop. So far they keep coming. Have to pay for each message, and have to turn the phone off at night to keep from wake up calls all hours of the night.

Any suggestions to get this to stop would be appricated.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:42 PM

Your number is posted somewhere online. Find out where and delete it.

Happened to me on my at&t phone when I posted my number online on a forum.

Weird... No idea how they got it, maybe some special search engine?

I deleted it and the messages quit.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 PM

many carriers have a way to block spam text messages, but don't always tell their customers about it, because it ends up costing the cell phone company the money that their customers would've paid for the unwanted messages.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
We just eliminated text message capability of our cell phone when we started getting unsolicited texts. Didn't use it anyway, just had it to download photos.

Dan
Old 03-31-2008, 02:40 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

T-mobile simply blocked the number and refunded the 20 or so text message charges. They were really good about it. Than they fired us for roaming too much.
We are now with Verizon and we dont have text messaging turned on.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:44 PM

I don't know if Nextel is like tmobile and each number has a email address. I was told that my number has an email address connected to it and that if some one emails it I get a text. I told them to disable the account so I would quit getting text and it worked. They would not refund the charges as there was not proof they were unsolicited.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Purplezr2
I don't know if Nextel is like tmobile and each number has a email address. I was told that my number has an email address connected to it and that if some one emails it I get a text. I told them to disable the account so I would quit getting text and it worked. They would not refund the charges as there was not proof they were unsolicited.
fyi, when i had a similar issue, t-mobile credited my account for all the disputed text messages- just had to ask for a cust. service supervisor and it was taken care of immediately.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
My wife and I both have nextel's, and we get the same text messages at the same time... the address is to a generic address that seems to cover a lot of phones...
Old 03-31-2008, 03:41 PM

I kept getting them from you have a crush.com or something like that.... is that the one you guys are getting it from?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Muted User

I have a nextel and i don't think you get charged for the messages if you don't download them. (not sure though) I get spam messages about stock quotes. I have an AT&T phone also and I don't get those messages.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Banned

I get random spam text, adds and such, turned the volume off on text message alerts so sas not to be woken up by that junk, Phone is a company phone so not as worried about charges. get your self on the do not call list .
Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
No idea how they got it, maybe some special search engine?
They call them spiders. If you own a diesel performance parts store and you want good leads, you would get a company to use a spider to get emails and phone numbers off of diesel forums. Here is a example of one. http://www.email-marketing-easy.com/

There are triggers that they use and you can help avoid them. When you list your Email, list it as bob at bob.com instead of bob@bob.com. Phone numbers are a little trickier and can usually be listed like 2125551234 with no dashes or 212-KL5-1234 but these computer guys are savvy folk and figure out ways to get them working also.

More than likely someone got his number with a spider and has sold this info to a "sales lead" data base. Good luck getting off of that list.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 PM

Dang never never post your phone number then! Hope mine never gets sold!

Sad thing is it was about a charitable cause when I posted it .
Old 04-01-2008, 03:07 PM

Thanks all for the helpful replies. I know the phone # got put in employment applications. Nextel said they blocked the number, but the messages keep coming in. It about "lets hang out over spring break" It might be someone got the number from the online college.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Call Sprint/Nextel and have them block all text messages. I canceled my voicemail also. I just call everyone back vs. listening to garbled voice messages....s/b no charge for the change.

Quick Reply: Spam text messages on NExtel phone.