Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Son wants a train ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Son wants a train ride

So today my son, wife and I are going to go take a ride on the heber valley steam train
http://www.hebervalleyrr.org/

Should be fun!
Old 04-02-2005, 02:18 PM

Yup, it can be a lotta fun, See if you can get the engineer to sho you son the cab of the engin, never hurts so ask.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:20 PM

Yeah, i will have to try. I would like to see that too!
Old 04-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never done that one...but my wife and I rode the Durango & Silverton on our honeymoon. Great fun. Especially for me because I love trains.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:42 PM

that area around tellluride and silverton is beautiful country I used to attend the blues and brews festival in the fall and the bluegrass festival in the summer great memories
Old 04-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Banned

My sons and I build trains to ride on. The scale is 2 1/2" of ours equals 1 foot of the real. We have a locomotive that weighs 840 lbs, 2 wood gondolas to ride in, 110 lbs each, and a caboose made of oak, 140 lbs that my 2 year old can ride in. They enjoy it very much.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Hoss
Never done that one...but my wife and I rode the Durango & Silverton on our honeymoon. Great fun. Especially for me because I love trains.
DITTO!!
We (wifey) and me love steam. If ya have any nostalgic blood in your veins those old trains will make ya shed a tear. The Animas is a looooooong way down there. Makes ya really respect the old timers that built it. Steam is cool. In the old days they must have had steam heads.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:50 PM

Old trains are GREAT!!!! If you can make it to Mt Pleasant Iowa around labor day, they have the Mid West Steam Thrashers Reunion and hold it on about 85-100 acres. They have some narrow guage and std guage tracks set up around the fair grounds and have a town and bank robery set up. Usually several steam locomotives are running all the time giving rides. Plus 100+ steam engines and 600+ antique tractors, and many displays and running equipment. They rank very high on my list. The whole family will have a great time there. They also have a camp ground for RV's. It takes about 2-3 full days to actually see all the exibits they have there.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Your son will remember this for the rest of this life. You are making great memories for him, and you! Keep up the good work!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love steam engines! I have ridden the Durango and Silverton, the Georgetown loop (love the Shay engines) and the Tweetsie railroad in NC. Next stop will the Combres and Toltec and the Texas State RR. My dream is to ride on the most beautiful steam engine ever built, the Norfork and Western type J.

MikeyB
Old 04-03-2005, 08:25 AM

Try getting up to Chicago North of it has a large train museam.Steam ,Diesel as well as Ell trains.Bryson NC has a steam train over here as well neat to watch.The one N of Chicago has a vertical cylinder engine in it's collection.Trying to remember it name.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:36 AM

I rode the Durango/Silverton train back when I was in high school and can't forget the memory of the ride. I'm planning on take my kids there this summer. Great fun! If you ever get to Sacramento, Ca. they have a Awesome train museum.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Banned

Check out the "Cog Railway"

[If you ever get to New England, New Hampshire specifically, try the Mt. Washington cog railway. It's only a 3 mile ride, but it basically goes straight up the side of the mountain. It's the steepest steam powered cog railway in the world at 48% (I guess there are diesel powered ones in the Alps in Switzerland that are steeper). Basically, the power isn't from the wheels on the rails but a giant gear that engages cogs in the center of the track. Takes about an hour up and a little less down. You get about a half hour on the summit (Mt. Washington is the highest peak in New England and also the location of the highest wind ever recorded on the surface of the earth: 231 MPH. The old weather station is literally chained down with heavy duty chains over the top of the building!) before the return trip.

Go in the fall if you can - foliage is spectacular!

Official site: http://www.thecog.com/index.php
More info: http://www.cog-railway.com/indexa1.htm (What is a Cog Railway?)

Old 04-03-2005, 12:04 PM

Who ever heard of train leaving on time!!! Didn't get the train ride because we were late getting there. My wife is late for everything I need to buy a bullwip to get her *** in gear. But we bought tickets for next weekend hope the good weather holds out.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:06 PM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
Hey, where is this train ride? I at Hill AFB and always wanted to ride a Steam engine. Call me immature, flame on, i dont care but ive always wanted to ride one. I got to ride on the front of a locomotive this summer......the very front (i stood in front of the engine where the guy that changes switches rides) it was on a army post in north carolina and we had half a mile worth of cars loaded with bombs behind us. That was great.

How much do the tickets cost and how far is it from Ogden?

Quick Reply: Son wants a train ride