Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

somthing odd i came across last weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the uranium tailings much ... that stuff is generally the low grade material. I worked the uranium mines all through middle/high school .... and my rear left arm turned out just as strong as the front one did .

On a serious note .... be real careful heading into any abandoned mine for these three reasons ....
1. The timbers at the entrances to them are almost always badly deteriorated (if there at all) and the large rocks they used to support don't care who they squish when they fall down.
2. Rattlesnakes love the entrances to old diggin's and you can often find large families living there.
3. More than one operation has shut down without properly disposing of their explosives. I have personally stumbled upon cases of sweating dynomite and corroded blasting caps. Not an easy feeling with a 1/2 mile of rock above your head.

Cool find with the airplane parts though !!

PISTOL
Old 01-05-2007, 02:43 PM

Edwards AFB

I used to live there when my dad was working on the
X15 project. One of the kids in my class and his mom brought in an expended sidewinder missle, that they found out in the desert for show and tell. man did that start some excitment. eod showed up, we all got evacuated, lots of excitment. [laugh
I'll never forget meeting Chuck Yeager when he still had hair, and moving into a new housing area, that had a washer/dryer, and built in appliances. Even sliding glass doors where state of the art at the time.
Clay mine road used to be way out in the desert, in those days.
We caused a stir in our housing area once, when several of us went out in the desert for a hike, and found a big rattlesnake. Of course being kids, we killed it with rocks and sticks. Dragging it back into the housing area, had all the moms calling our moms, until the whole neighborhood was in an uproar. The APs came in to see what was going on. Heck it was just a dead rattle snake.
I loved that base.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by PistolWhipt
I wouldn't sweat the uranium tailings much ... that stuff is generally the low grade material. I worked the uranium mines all through middle/high school .... and my rear left arm turned out just as strong as the front one did .

On a serious note .... be real careful heading into any abandoned mine for these three reasons ....
1. The timbers at the entrances to them are almost always badly deteriorated (if there at all) and the large rocks they used to support don't care who they squish when they fall down.
2. Rattlesnakes love the entrances to old diggin's and you can often find large families living there.
3. More than one operation has shut down without properly disposing of their explosives. I have personally stumbled upon cases of sweating dynomite and corroded blasting caps. Not an easy feeling with a 1/2 mile of rock above your head.

Cool find with the airplane parts though !!

PISTOL

QUOTE:

Well now this will get Begle1's attention.

Jim
Old 01-05-2007, 03:02 PM

Old mines are neat places but theyarent to safe. We always find dynamits and caps up here in the mines around my town. We use to repeld down the ventshafts and elevator tunnels. There was a tunnle that went from an old power plant in one valley threw the mountain about 1.5 miles to the other valley for the trains. It was about 6 ft wide and 8 ft high about 7hundred fteet under the ground. We would ride our bike threw it to go to the other town. It was awesome, But a week after the last ride threw it a part colasped right in the beginning and one of our highsways fell 100 feet in the ground. Needless to stay im done doing that stuff now. But its truly amazing when you see what the miners had to work in first hand. Props to them guys who got all our coal.