Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Somebody tried to steal my trucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Somebody tried to steal my trucks

I got in my truck this morning and discovered that some Edit had attempted to steal it. The ignition lock cylinder had been twisted around and all the plastic column parts smashed off.

They also tried to steal the radio, and they broke the
instrument panel bezel. They didn't get the radio, they just took the removable radio face making the rest of the radio useless.

As if that wasn't bad enough, they did the exact same thing to my other CTD pick-up that was parked beside it.

These Edit probably weren't very good thieves, I'm sure that if they knew
what they were doing they would have gotten my trucks.

So now I'm off to order a bunch of new parts for my two trucks.

I think I'll be looking up ways to disable the trucks with a hidden switch
or something.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thieves seem to be on the rise. My neighbors cars got broken into a few nights ago which is strange that I didn't hear or notice anything seeing as they are that close to me and I am up late usually till 3 or 4am most nights. A about a month or 2 ago some theives tried to steal a differents neighbors car but the neighbor woke up as they were attempting to do so and he fought with them before they ran off. Guess its time to get a shotgun. If it were legal I would string up any thieves I found at the entrance to the neighborhood as a warning to other thieves.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brothers old 93 had a switch behind the seat that was connected to the shut off solenoid to prevent theft.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Banned

that sucks. sorry to hear about that stuff happening to anyone
Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 PM

If i parked my truck somewhere long term i think the safety wiring the shutoff lever in the off postion might be a good kill switch. The pull cable would probally slow most down as well. Unless the thief knew something about an older cummins. It would be a piece of cake to put on a kill switch.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:56 PM

MPG-wise these are gettin almost as valuable as the Prius'. That stinks, how about a cable on the fuel shutoff that holds the shutoff "off", hidden under the dash? There was a recent writeup on that subject.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM

try riggin a "hot wire" to the truck door handle... probably wouldnt do much for a thief wearin gloves though, but it would be funny to watch on you-tube. LoL
Old 07-21-2008, 06:48 PM

Even though it sounds bad, at least they didn't get away with your trucks. We had our yard broke into one night but they only went after the vehicles that had the doors unlocked. They tried prying open the driver door on my Ram, but must have gave up.

Hopefully you get things back together! Can you get anything from insurance at all?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I found the radio heads in a nearby field, so that saves me $500.
I have two new ignition switches and the plastic bits and pieces on order.
Probably will cost me a few hundred to fix both trucks.

There is a scrap yard a mile or so down the road and I figure someone was looking for a vehicle to haul away stolen scrap copper.

A few hundred bucks is not worth going through insurance, if I did they would
most likely raise my premiums next renewal
Old 07-21-2008, 11:02 PM

Ive had problems with thieves up here in the past and what I did was to install motion sensing lights and a pager alarm on my garage.
You could install something like a viper 5900 on the ram or in the area they park using a perimeter sensor. The pager will wake you if anything is tampered with.
The other thing is to get a dog to keep an eye out for you at night.
My dog's probably not dangerous unless the thief was gray with a fuzzy tail, but they dont know that
Oh yeah, she likes to play with the kitty with the white stripe too. That parts not so fun.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:55 AM

Just today near Lincoln, NE I saw a farmer type on TV who met a truck leaving his place with his $6000 generator in it. He gave chase and his Ford flatbed rammed a RAM a couple of times trying to put them in the ditch. Eventually they put it in the ditch and fled on foot. One in custody.

During the chase, the generator rolled out of the pickup and when they went back, it had been taken again by someone driving by!

Don't mess with farmers, they are usually well armed! There is too much stuff getting stolen again...
Old 07-25-2008, 12:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel your pain, the same thing happened to me. Ins will cover it under Comp.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=177705
Old 07-25-2008, 08:03 AM

After I got my Ravelco installed, I now sleep good at night... Over 3.5 million sold over 30 years and not one beaten yet...

http://www.nohotwire.com/
Old 07-25-2008, 05:58 PM

Sumo,you need to give that alarm a real test say, parked overnite on Bancroft at maby 83rd.in East Oakland.Just to see if it really works.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:34 PM

Wow...I do know they let some "experts" down in Mexico give it a try and they gave up after 40 minutes. As for an alarm in Oaktown, you would never hear it over all the gunfire and screaming...just my opinion though...lived in the Bay Area for 51 years, not sure how much longer I can take it...

Quick Reply: Somebody tried to steal my trucks