Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Some random questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 01:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some random questions

I was sitting down watching the movie Twister earlier and a couple of questions popped into my head. Why do they say to get into a ditch if a twister is headed for you? Why doesn't a tornado travel into ditches? I don't know if yall have looked real close at the Dodge in the movie, but if you have, have you noticed where he has his CB antennas mounted? I'd like to have mine mounted like that. I don't know. Just some random, curiosity questions I though I'd through out there.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:46 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're hiding in a ditch then the tornado can't see you and it will go pick on someone else. Just be sure it doesn't see you when you go jumping off in the ditch because it will sure come after you.

I got caught in a ditch by a tornado once. That sucker had me backed into a corner and I had no choice but to come out fighting. I grabbed that pavement sucker by the tail and slung him clear to west Texas.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Hoss, you are bad!!!!

A vertically challenged Ohio native was travelling thru Texas on his way to California. He had heard about everything bigger and better in Texas, so he stopped at the first bar across the border to see what it was all about.

He walked into the biggest bar he had ever seen in his life - - it took him two minutes of walking just to get past the tables and reach the bar. The bar was higher with bigger stools than he had ever seen. After much trouble and help from a "pardner", he finally got on the stool, but had to kneel to even see over the bar.

He asked the bar tender for a beer. It was the biggest glass he had ever seen. He downed it and asked for another just show he could match any of them thar Texans. He downed that one, then asked for another. About 1/2 thru that one mother nature was taking her course and he had to piddle really bad. He asked the bar tender where the bath was. The bar tender pointed to a long hallway across the bar and told him to go down that hall "a piece" and turn left at the second door.

The guy headed down the hall thinking he would never reach the door in time. He reached the second door, but mistakenly turned right instead of left. He immediately feel into the largest body of water he had ever seen (the swimming pool) and was heard over the whole bar screaming "Please, please, please don't flush it".

Such it is with these Texans.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 06-14-2004, 09:41 AM

I don't quite remember the flick Blue, where was the CB antenna mounted?
Old 06-14-2004, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The same reason they tell you to hide in a doorway in a earthquake. This way the earth quake wont know your there and youll be O`tay
Old 06-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Some random questions

Originally posted by BigBlue
I was sitting down watching the movie Twister earlier and a couple of questions popped into my head. Why do they say to get into a ditch if a twister is headed for you? Why doesn't a tornado travel into ditches?
Think of it like this (non scientific, but makes sense maybe).

Standard vacuum cleaner, carpeted floor.
Chunk of dirt in middle of room, vacuum sucks it up no problem.

Same vacuum but now cleaning between the carpet in the living room and linoleum in the kitchen.
Chunk of dirt down in crack between the two doesn't get sucked up by the vacuum quite as easily.

Now the chunk of dirt is you, carpet is a flowing field of grain.
Crack between carpet and linoleum is the ditch between the field and the road.
Vacuum is of course the tornado.

Instead of the suction being directed straight down, it is spread by the ditch,
so things in the bottom of the ditch are less likely to get sucked up.

Make sense?

I can't remember where they had the CB antennas mounted, I'd have to watch it again.

phox
Old 06-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Banned

Thanks for the explanation phox. They had the antenna mounted on the back corner of the bed, on the oustide in front of the tail light on the drivers side. It looked like a piece of angle iron except it was solid and painted to match the truck. Had 2 or 3 antennas on it. I've got to say that that is still the best looking Dodge truck I've ever seen.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:31 PM

Re: Some random questions

Originally posted by BigBlue
I was sitting down watching the movie Twister earlier and a couple of questions popped into my head. Why do they say to get into a ditch if a twister is headed for you? Why doesn't a tornado travel into ditches? I don't know if yall have looked real close at the Dodge in the movie, but if you have, have you noticed where he has his CB antennas mounted? I'd like to have mine mounted like that. I don't know. Just some random, curiosity questions I though I'd through out there.
So you won't get hit by a flyin hefer??? Or my mother-in-law,.....the wicked witch of the West
Old 06-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Banned

Interesting comments people are having on this thread. Funny actually.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Heres the only photos I could come up with, but none show the antenna"

http://dodgeram.org/sounds/twister/
Old 06-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
My newest project is to build a Storm chaser truck.
Its in the works now.
Blue, maybe you could put the antenna on the truck for me?
Heck, you could even ride in the back and hold the antenna in a storm.

Scotty
Old 06-14-2004, 11:33 PM

Actually a couple of things I caught on that movie on and inside the truck.

1. In the very beginning I am almost positive that the badge on the truck says
3500 V10. I paused it on DVD and if it is a 2 it sure looks like a 3. THat was a single wheel base too. Did DC do a single wheel base 3500 for the early 2nd gen trucks??
2. I noticed the white lettering on the tires were sometimes missing
3. "AIR BAG" signal was lit up when the showed the dash
4. Did the early years of that truck have no head rests in the front seats?
5. The truck drove through a house.
6. A tricycle landed on the windshield and didn't break it.
7. THe best though is when a telephone pole lands on the bed rails and only leaves a dent.!!

These are some of the things I see in movies that I just say "OHH OK"!

Yes Blue that is the best looking truck!!
Old 06-15-2004, 01:27 AM
Banned

Shaders, I thought I was the only one who had no life and did that kind of stuff.

1. When I paused it, I saw a 2500 V10 (was hoping it was a Cummins at first )
2. Never noticed that before. Guess I'll have to watch it again.
3. I know a bunch of trucks (different makes and models) that will flash the air bag light or ABS light when floored
4. Didn't notice that
5. It's a Dodge, it can drive through anything
6. It actually did break. In some of the shots it's broken, in some it's not.
7. My favorite part is you see the pole hit, slide, and knock the tailgate off. And not 2 minutes later, that tail gate is back on.
8. Remember when one of the farm implements hit the windshield and put a hole in it and in the next shot it's fine?

I agree with you on that part. I love picking movies apart. This one has a lot of mishaps.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:16 PM

Hey Blue, I got it out tonight (Twister). It is a 3500. Watch it in the very beginning when they first show the truck on the country road from the side. The zoom up to the passenger side of the truck and you can clearly see ( if you pause it) RAM 3500 V10 on the door. I have wondered that for years. I was thinking that DC just slapped a badge on there but it may be 2500. WHO KNOWS?????

I esp love ripping movies with aircraft apart.

Quick Reply: Some random questions