Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Some days I just don't know...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some days I just don't know...

Sometimes I swear I have the worst luck ever. Been working on a lab report thats due Friday all evening. Printer is outta ink so its off on a midnight run to Wal-Mart for a printer cartridge. On the way home I'm comin down a back road and I see somethin comin across the road in a hurry. Locked the brakes up and realize its a dog. A 3/4 ton truck doesn't stop on a dime so I hit the poor thing. Being the kind of person that I am, (I know how it feels to have someone hit your pet and disappear into the night) I stopped to see how bad the dog was and if I could find the owner. The dog is completely missing its one leg. I'm so shook up at this point that I'm about to puke. Well the dog is dragging about 5' of chain from its collar, so I reach down to get the chain so the dog doesn't run off and he turns around and laces my hand up. By now a couple is out of their house and they recognized the dog as being their neighbor's. Talked to the owner and proceeded to go to the ER. Can't use my right thumb till at least Monday. Dunno yet how the dog faired.

So I've got my hand heavily bandaged, two papers to write by Friday, finals all next week and a heavy conscience. When it rains, it pours. I know this is one of those "stuff happens" moments but I can't help thinking how I'd feel if something happened to my pup and remembering how I felt as a kid when my dogs got hit. For those of you with dogs, PLEASE keep them indoors, in a fenced run or kenneled. If you absolutely must tie the dog outdoors, I implore you, use a chain or cable that the dog can't break.

Sorry for the rant but I had to get some of this outta my head or I won't sleep at all tonight...
Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Banned

Dude that sucks, everything will always turn out for the better! Newton's Law, for every action there will be an equal and opposite reaction... so eventually something good will happen that is just as impacting as this was... Atleast thats how I look at it. lol
Old 05-03-2007, 01:40 AM

Kudos to you for being a standup kinda guy and stopping to check on the dog, and find it's rightful owner!
'Round here people hit dogs and the just keep on truckin'! Kinda sad really.

Sorry bout the hand, and good luck on your reports!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How does the old saying go? No good deed goes unpunished?

Sorry to hear about your hand. Good luck with the paper and the finals.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:52 AM

It can't rain everyday
Old 05-03-2007, 11:18 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troutstrannysvc
It can't rain everyday
uh.... better ask Noah about that.......
Old 05-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Banned

I hate hitting animals, I always feel like total crap after I do. Last summer I hit my dads neighbors dog...he came haulin butt outta the ditch and hit the side of my front tire and rolled under my truck and got him with the rear!! Sad thing I was only going like 2 mph ( BUMPY dirt road ). Luckily he died quick.

The neighbors weren't home, so me and another neighbor wrapped it up in a tarp and put it behind their garage so the kids didn't see him and left a note saying what happened.

Sorry for all your bad luck........that is usually the way it goes for me!! Hopefully your hand heals up and you can get though your finals.

~Nick
Old 05-03-2007, 12:54 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

More than likely, your state's gonna require a quarantine period for the dog, or exam if it died (10 days here). The health dept must be notified of the bite and they probably require the police to be notified. Don't want to play games with dog germs. The hospital should've at least notified the health dept?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get off the internet and hit the books .

Remember no good deed goes unpaid!

Best of luck!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:14 AM

Thanks for the kind words guys. Doesn't change anything but it helps to hear them.

The hospital had us fill out a "dog bite form" when we were there. So I'm guessing they will get in touch with the health department. The dog was up to date on all its shots.

The owner of the dog called me this evening to make sure I was alright. She said the dog had a broken spine in addition to the injured leg so they had to have it put down. She has been extremely considerate and understanding considering the situation. I still feel horrible about it. My love for dogs is right up there with my love for cars. But like my friends and family have been telling me all day, there was nothing I could have done to change it. Stuff happens, dogs get hit by cars. It's a part of life and I just happened to be driving the right road at the wrong time.

Anyway, I guess her homeowners insurance is going to pay all my medical bills. I changed the dressing on my hand tonight and it seems to be healing quickly. I guess between the emotions and adrenaline last night I didn't really look at it but he took a pretty good chunk off my thumb. Didn't think I'd need the prescription they gave me for Vicodin but this thing still hurts like all get out.

Today was the last day of classes and I've only got one paper due tomorrow. Finals next week then I can start workin full-time again and make some truck money.

Now it's time to get back to the paper and studying...
Old 05-04-2007, 07:18 AM

It was the right thing for you to do to stop. It can't be your fault because someone elses dog got out.. just bum luck on everyone's part. Good luck on the tests.