Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Some appropriate quotes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Some appropriate quotes.

These are all from Abraham Lincoln:<br><br>&quot;Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it.&quot; The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, &quot;Letter To Henry L. Pierce and Others&quot; (April 6, 1859), p. 376. <br><br>&quot;Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.&quot; Lincoln's Cooper Institute Address, February 27, 1860. <br><br>&quot;I leave you, hoping that the lamp of liberty will burn in your bosoms until there shall no longer be a doubt that all men are created free and equal.&quot; The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume II, &quot;Speech at Chicago, Illinois&quot; (July 10, 1858), p. 502.<br><br>&quot;With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow and his orphan - to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations.&quot; Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address, March 4, 1865. <br><br>&quot;I am rather inclined to silence, and whether that be wise or not, it is at least more unusual nowadays to find a man who can hold his tongue than to find one who cannot.&quot; The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume IV, &quot;Remarks at the Monogahela House&quot; (February 14, 1861), p. 209. <br><br>&quot;...that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.&quot; Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863. <br><br>&quot;I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Freedom.&quot; The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VIII, &quot;Letter to Mrs. Lydia Bixby&quot; (November 21, 1864), pp. 116-117. <br><br><br><br>Sons doing a report on Abe, and I thougth these quotes were pretty good considering the events since Sept 11.<br><br>Rich
Old 04-09-2003, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Some appropriate quotes.

I always liked some of Ben Franklin's quotes. My favorite is: &quot;Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what is for dinner. LIBERTY is a well armed sheep.&quot; ;D