Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

sold a car--now he wants me to replace the airbag

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly. Or my favorite, break something across it, like a landscaping tool.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:43 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by J BODY
...now if this guy said he bought a used truck from a dealer with this issue you'd all be whistling a different song. IF there is a law like this you'll probably have to go back on who you bought it from. Either way there is really no burden of proof. IF the bag is indeed missing it should have turned the air bag light on unless someone got creative with some resistors to "simulate" a bag on the wiring.
At least over here if you buy a vehicle from a dealer all safety features must work except if noted explicitely in the bill of sale. That's why there is a dealer markup on used cars. A dealer is considered an expert and has to check for the safety features to work as well as for compliance with emissions regulations etc.
A private person is not considered an expert and if a vehicle is sold as is it needs to be proven beyond reasonable doubt that the previous owner has misinformed the buyer knowingly and for material gain.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 04-25-2006, 06:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's the difference between American and European mentality.

Here in America, we're ALL experts, lol!!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:50 AM

Here in America, we're ALL experts
Now thats funny right there!!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:52 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
Here in America, we're ALL experts, lol!!
Actually, here in America, each indidual is an expert, and everyone else but them is an idiot.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:21 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Well the mentality is the same over here, just the laws do differ a little
Old 04-25-2006, 07:38 AM

Wouldn't Worry

I wouldn't worry or lose sleep for sure, for a few reasons like everybody else stated

1. as is...... nothing else needs to be said

2. Who's to say "he" didn't take it out

3. You didn't know there wasn't one

4. Even if he did get in a wreck, he obviously is still alive, therefor the "air bag" was not nesicary

Some guy trying to make a buck. Oh and I know there was a sand joke, you know if a air bag went off that was full of sand somebody could seriously get it in there eyes and crash............. Oh wait now I get it
Old 04-25-2006, 08:10 AM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I went thru a small claims court with my landlord and did it all myself with out a lawyer and won. (took a year). You will owe a lawyer more than anything else, if you can do the research yourself. He is just trying to scare you. A guy did that to me when I sold a boat and trailer without a title. Said it was illegal to sell anything with out a title. Never heard anything about it since.............good luck. Dan
Old 04-25-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious.....what kind of vehicle (make model year) and why wasn't the airbag light on?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Banned

I'd tell him to go take a flyin' leap off the nearest cliff! I can't believe what people will do these days to get out of working and making a living the right way. Everyone wants a dad-gum handout! I spilled my hot coffee, give me a million bucks....your oil well killed my prized tic-tac-toe playin' rooster, give me a million bucks......your kid looked at my kid wrong and forced him to buy cigarettes, give me a million bucks.....blah blah blah blah blah. What a bunch of worthless idiots we have in this country. I tell ya, if I bought the car and found out it didn't have an air bag, I'd feel like the stupid one for not checking in the first place. My father told me years ago that there will always be more horses rear ends than there ever will be horses.....