Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

sold a car--now he wants me to replace the airbag

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sold a car--now he wants me to replace the airbag

I sold a car to a person 3 months ago. He called me up barely and tells me there is no airbag in the passengers side and tells me it is a law that you cannot sell a car w/o an airbag. he wants me to fork out $1k to replace it. I had no idea there was not an airbag. I had the car for 8 months and sold it. bill of sale states as is with no gaurentees. He is threatening me to small claims court.

Is there a law about this and am I responsible?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Is there some part of "As-Is" he didn't understand?

I'd be reeeeal curious to see how he found out it wasnt there.

Contact your local motor Vehicle Department and see what they say.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:07 PM

If the reciept says "As Is" he can't do much to you. As far as him stating that there is a law against selling cars w/o airbags how does he explain all older cars that are sold that were manufactured prior to airbags being invented

I do agree with shovelhead and would be curious as to how he found out there was no airbag on the passenger side. I'd venture to guess that he got in a fender bender and is using the airbag excuse to get someone else to pay for the damage.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:29 PM

Who's to say HE didn't take it out and sell it? Man, what a great idea!!! I'll make BILLIONS!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:33 PM

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. As is ....means as is. Now if you knew you sold it too him like that and didn't tell him I wouldn't feel right about that. Still you sold it as is.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:33 PM

Old 04-24-2006, 09:40 PM

What year model is the car? Did it even have a passenger side air bag from the factory?
I agree with everyone else, as is means as is.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ds1rider
Who's to say HE didn't take it out and sell it? Man, what a great idea!!! I'll make BILLIONS!!!
This is exactly what a judge will ask!

The nice thing about civil court between individuals is that you can file a countersuit for all your costs!

The not nice thing is that if this jamoke is so broke that he is going to argue over an item like an airbag on a car he bought three months ago there is nothing to gain by winning.

Let him file the complaint and if and only IF you actually get one then you need to retain counsel. Any good attorney will have this handle for you in about 1/2 hour.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I say give the guy a break and buy him some new tires ....while you are at it....heck maybe a new paint job would be nice too
Old 04-24-2006, 09:53 PM

My two cents. I don't know about the laws in your state, but usually there is a 3 day timeframe when the person has the right to back out of the deal (I have been caught in that before ). Check with your local DMV, he might not have a legal leg to stand on. If he calls again, tell him you are going to file a countersuit for harassment and see what he says. He might just be trying to get you to give up $1,000 without a fight.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Banned

in the politest words possible tell that EDIT to go pack sand.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Banned

maybe I shouldnt have said that. I get away with it at work though. sorry mods if it is an issue
Old 04-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
maybe I shouldnt have said that. I get away with it at work though. sorry mods if it is an issue
Not a problem, it wasn't an blatant rule violation that I could see. I did edit it anyway so that it wouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...now if this guy said he bought a used truck from a dealer with this issue you'd all be whistling a different song. IF there is a law like this you'll probably have to go back on who you bought it from. Either way there is really no burden of proof. IF the bag is indeed missing it should have turned the air bag light on unless someone got creative with some resistors to "simulate" a bag on the wiring.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I say give the guy a break and buy him some new tires ....while you are at it....heck maybe a new paint job would be nice too

Buy him a nice dinner while you're at it too.
The guys that know me know what comes next, "BOOT TO THE HEAD".

Quick Reply: sold a car--now he wants me to replace the airbag