Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

So much for freedom to travel. GPS tracking devices for all vehicles for tax purpose

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmay2
I can agree that tracking you to get the miles is wrong. It would be nice if it was self imposed with an emissions/inspection odometer verification when due or when the car is licensed yearly.

If people want to go through the effort of odometer rollbacks to avoid paying $30 a year, then they are just silly.
Great-now I have images of the entire country lookin' like Ferris Bueller trying to roll back the odometers by jacking up their cars and putting them in reverse!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 AM

The government is the cause of there own problem. They mandate that the cars get better mpg every year, incourage the use of hybrid, electric cars, and give tax breaks to ones that own them. BUT what they forgot was that the very "blood" that funded thier system is the same blood that they where encouraging us to be weenied from... So basically a electric car is running on a road free of charge, while a heavy (low mpg) pick-up is footing the bill for both. I don't know who is saying this is OK?????, WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE TAXES.... Go to these government buildings, turn off the lights at night, adjust the thermostats to save some energy, get rid of about 1/3 of the dead weight, STOP BUYING NEW VEHICLES EVERY YEAR!!!!. There is no need to decorate the inside of a government building with fancy pictures, leather exuctive chairs, wall coverings, lights.... YOUR BROKE... SO ACT LIKE IT AND CUT OUT THE FRILLS... Any new government office should be nothing more then a morgan building with concrete floors. They shouldn't be "spa's", this way the only people that would want to work at them would be the people that really wanted to make a difference, not some lazy fat cat looking for "his corner" to hide out in and rape the system...

Dear government,
you incouraged us that we could help buy using less fuel, we did that for the good of everyone... Now you want to place penalties on us for it???? So until I stop seeing the state employees running around in new vehicles that are nicer then my personal cars, you can shove your "new tax" ideas!!!!! I will do everything in MY power to make sure I don't pay one extra dime until I see them practice "reasonable" budget ideas.

NOW....

For those crazy enough to think this is an OK idea, lets not forget that a tax like this would raise the price of EVERYTHING, don't forget that bus fares, cab fares, shipping rates, fuel (because the fuel trucks have to use the road also) etc. would be increased and not just the small amount that the government wants from you. Every transportation industry will have to hire personel to work this, and trust me they aren't going to do it for just a "break even". Also if you think just a little $30 is all it would cost you, your double crazy, someone is going to have to pay for these +$1000.00 systems to be included/installed. Don't forget the government "makes" no money so all the money that is spent is yours... and as dumb as they are; they are not about to install a $$$$ system in your car without passing on the cost and getting a heafty profit on top of it...
Old 02-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GPS tracking devices for all vehicles for tax purposes.

How much dollarwise do they collect in each state and then to send to the Feds money wise??? How much do you pay percentage wise (money per gallon) to the State and Feds ? Up here I think that we pay 10% and 11% to WAttawa! The other year BC sent down I think $822.800.000.00 to them. I think what we need is to find out how much of the money that goes to the FEDS as fuel tax money it returned for hiway projects ? Instead of going into general revienue! I work in construction, so I need a bigger vehicle to get my stuff to work. I see alot of badly designed roads and hiways around!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:52 AM

Oh Canada Here I Come!!!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:11 PM

The smartest thing for our government to spend money on at this time would be at the borders, not to keep people out, but to keep us in ....

Pour canada, and mexico they will never know what hit them...
Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Chapter President

Nice post Asher! I agree cut out the spending on the gov. I can't tell you how many times I have been driving home in my joloppy and here next to me is the government worker going home in a government tagged car?? What, something wrong with your personal vehicle? Why does every president need a new million dollar limo every four years? Not like he gets driven to Vegas in it. Every eight years if there is significant change in the technology that warrants the expense. Lifetime benefits for politicians that only have to serve two years. Wow, if I wanted lifetime bennies I would have had to do 20 years plus and risk getting killed in some far off poop hole.

You serve your term, blam you get 90 days COBRA like the rest of us schlupps......and you have to pay the ridiculous amount of money they want for it or else you have no healthcare. Whats good for the goose is good for the pig correct.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:08 PM
BTM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
"We" voted these people in, what did you expect?!!! Rich
Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 PM

"We" didn't vote these people in, "they" voted these people in...
Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BTM
"We" voted these people in, what did you expect?!!! Rich
Exactly right. We are the government. The ballot is the way to make things better or different. To make things change you have to convince other voters of your point of view so they'll vote your way. Simply being mad at the government does nothing positive.

It's a terrible system, maybe someone can suggest a better one.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Like most taxes, it starts off with a tax that will effect the "other guy".
Like others said, its only $35/year for the average person. but a 1/4% can easily be changed to 1/2% or 1% or better yet, it becomes a tax on all movement. You take a train, you pay your 1/4%. you take a plane, you pay your 1/4%. In 07, I flew something close to 100,000 miles, drive 15,000 and I wont even venture a guess on ferries, taxis, and rentals. that just got real expensive.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:01 PM

It MAY have been shot down at the federal level, but now OHIO wants to adopt it. And as for buying a new car....Won't matter. They wanna MAKE everybody get one. WHO will pay for the devices ??? And it will NOT "replace" the gas tax...It will be in ADDITION too the gas tax. AND there will be an alert if you try to defeat it with lead etc. Not gonna happen on my vehicles. I WILL find ways around it if they adopt this. It's not even about the money for me, it's about this government thinking they need to be up our EDIT.
Gonna be alot more unregistered vehicles rollin on the streets.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

unregistered/untracked vehicles would be just like running red diesel. you pay the tax on your odometer....
Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 PM

Would you have more electric cars now if they knew how to tax the power it takes to charge the bat.. So is this the start.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They just don't understand that the pockets they want into are empty.
Anything new in taxes will crash the economy quicker.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:01 PM

It's getting like this in all local places too. The city cries they don't have the same amount of money coming in from taxes so they want to raise the taxes. Do they NOT understand WHY they don't have that money flowing in ?
I think the ONLY way to make politicians happy is a 100% tax on ALL money earned, then we can all get on welfare and let the govt. support US. Nah. They'd still try and get more.

Quick Reply: So much for freedom to travel. GPS tracking devices for all vehicles for tax purpose