Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

so its the first big snowfall in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so its the first big snowfall in Toronto

and no one seems to remember how to drive.

a 15 min commute took me 2 hours last night. on the highway this dude in a newer jetta was trying to keep up with me. i was in my golf. which with snowtires handles amazing!!! so he cuts across 3 lanes to get behind me and smash right into the wall. almost took me out in the process.

on uphills people were struggling to get up them. at one point there were 3 cars stuck and all the passengers were outside trying to push them up lol.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I always look forward to the first big snowfall. It's even better if you don't have to be anywhere.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:45 PM

Haha...I'm in Buffalo...we got hit pretty well too. I was out bowling until 3am when it was the worst. Always fun driving in nice fresh snow. The roads were covered to the point that I couldn't tell where the roads were under the fresh snow. The nice part was that anyone who put their car in the ditch was long gone, so I didn't get flagged down to help pull them out.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Chapter President

Not much better here. I can not see how people can drive when they have there head where they wipe
Old 12-02-2007, 01:59 PM

It gets pretty funny up here...all the military kids from the south come up. Last year I had to go to Fairbanks, and this storm moved in for the first snow. I have to go past Ft.Wainwright to get to Fairbanks, and in the first 5 miles there were like 10 cars/trucks off the road, all with base stickers on them. Oh by the way it is illegal for a POV to pull a stuck rig out of the ditch, but not enforced to much in the remoter areas. Its also illegal to pass someone walking on the road in the winter.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
Its also illegal to pass someone walking on the road in the winter.
well. if everyone followed that law it would make you're morning commute 100 times longer.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:21 PM

I see more SUV's and 4x4's in the ditch around here. People think Duh I have 4x4 I can go faster than you, Ha cant stop or turn any better you nerd. I Think its funny to hear there stories on how it happened if and when I do stop to help. Most cant believe that I can pull them out of the ditch with a 2wd truck. I just smile chain up and give them a pull they wont soon forget.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by dj_souvlaki
well. if everyone followed that law it would make you're morning commute 100 times longer.

Sorry...I should say, By law you must stop and offer assistance to anyone walking down the road in winter.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:16 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

As AkTallPaul probably remembers from the news. On Nov 11th, Anchorage got its first real snow (wasnt even a big one). 146 (thats onehundred fortysix) reported fender benders in a 21 hour period. Means there were even more unreported. We are supposed to be used to snow!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:18 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The winter I spent in MI I saw more wrecks than I have ever seen around here...
Even if they over-react, the folks who live where snow isnt a daily thing dont take it for granted the way a lot of them up there did....

"its my winter-beater, who cares??"
Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 AM

well im at work and they made a snow crew now. so i've been stuck outside clearing the snow. i have 4 parking lots full of cars that i gotta clear. im exhausted. started at 7 am this morning and im on my lunch break at 12:30.

at least they are paying more than my regular rate.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by dj_souvlaki
well im at work and they made a snow crew now. so i've been stuck outside clearing the snow. i have 4 parking lots full of cars that i gotta clear. im exhausted. started at 7 am this morning and im on my lunch break at 12:30.

at least they are paying more than my regular rate.
Maybe you should buy a plow for your RAM and contract to clear the lots before working hours .
Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 PM

This is why when I had to be in Toronto for a conference today I took VIA Rail instead of driving. Well that and the fact my stock Dodge won't fit in any of the parking garages around the Royal York.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
Maybe you should buy a plow for your RAM and contract to clear the lots before working hours .
i wanted to get get one on my truck last year.

we have a plow truck here. its a gmc 2500 gasser. i think a 92.

i did a safety inspection on it 3 weeks ago to see what it needs. i refuse to drive it now i will stick to a shovel lol.

lets just say in parts alone its upwards of $3500. one fuel tank strap is missing and i have never felt a looser front end in my life lol.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by KWhitelaw
This is why when I had to be in Toronto for a conference today I took VIA Rail instead of driving. Well that and the fact my stock Dodge won't fit in any of the parking garages around the Royal York.
no it deffinintly will not.

my buddy who owns a navigator found out that large suv's are pretty useless down town.

he somehow managed to lodge himself in an underground parking garage entrance. i had to pull him out.

he is deffinintly not the sharpest spoon in the drawer.