Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

So hopefully I helped to save a man's life last night......

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So hopefully I helped to save a man's life last night......

Well my fiancé and I were both fed up with out apartment being so hot and sometime around 2am decided to go to the other end of town to the Wal-Mart and get a box fan. On our way back as we were about to cross over the interstate I saw a column of steam rising up from the corner of the bridge. I mentioned something to my fiancé and instructed her to turn around at the next light.

After crossing the road and looking over the rail, much to my surprise, I immediately noticed a frame, a couple of axles and a large steaming engine... In a bit of a tired daze I wondered how that got there. Well, about that time I looked a little to my left and hidden from my view was the cab of the truck and the overturned trailer. I must have mumbled something a little audible because I soon heard a man's weak voice call for help, I then saw only what appeared to be one of his legs under all the wreckage of the cab.

I turned around and yelled for my fiancé to dial 911 and gave her our location and that there was a man trapped under an overturned tractor trailer. I then turned around and reassured the man that help was on the way and everything would be OK as this was one thing that I was trained to do in the Marine Corps to help ease shock. I continued to talk to him keeping him coherent till authorities arrived so they could get what information they needed from him and to help keep him from slipping into a coma.

While officials were scrambling making sure he did not spill anything my fiancé and I cleaned up the overpass as there were pieces of fiberglass, plastic and glass all over the road. In doing so we found two slips with the contents of his trailer. I quickly turned those over to the nearest officer and went back to cleaning the road up a little.

From what I gathered by looking at the wreckage before authorities showed up, he fell asleep or blacked out, crossed the median, crossed both lanes of traffic and up the hill into the bridge embankment at whatever speed he had that trucks cruise set at. Also, by the fact that he was hanging upside down and with the amount of steam that was rising from the engine we had just missed the actual impact when we drove by.

He was airlifted to the nearest hospital as far as we know and I kinda wish I had asked for more of his information and where he was going so we could have called later to see how he was doing.

Oh and for the die hard cummins fan; it was a horrible death for a Cummins M14
Old 05-30-2007, 08:26 AM

man that's outstanding of you and your fiance. Hopefully everything turns out ok for the driver.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:29 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I'm sincerely proud of you! You don't know HOW many people call to report wrecks without stopping to check anybody. But they'll advise that somebody ELSE had stopped to check. And after wadeing through all the repeat, non-stopping calls of "there must be something going on up ahead", we'll finally pick up a line with somebody on it, actually out with the driver. Some are even willing to render first aid, not that I would knock anybody not doing certain things, due to potential virus's, but at least it helps to get real info. We even try to recognize helpful citizens in these situations. I vote for an extra 10 cool points towards consideration for DTR truck of the month!
Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good job. Assuming he is still alive, you probably saved that man's life.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:23 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job!!!!! you have a right to be proud of yourself.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Banned

great job. a good samaritan is always great to have around.
however, for us diehard cummins fans, its either an M11 or and N14
Old 05-30-2007, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's very good of you to get involved....

If I see a motorist stranded, i'll call into 911 to make sure help is on the way! Never mess with the phoenix heat! I've had passengers ask, why call?...After I explain it, they understand a little better.

Tony
Old 05-30-2007, 03:58 PM

and GREAT!!!! call on seeing what was in the truck. Could of been a big hazmat incident, and gettin the bill of ladings possibly, helped them out alot!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
great job. a good Samaritan is always great to have around.
however, for us die hard cummins fans, its either an M11 or and N14
LOL thanks for the round... I was running on about an hour of sleep when i posted. Still a little dazed I should have caught that since I just went through an M11 at the shop and have an N14 on the way.

We actually called the sheriff today to see if he made it to the hospital alright, but they said the report didn't contain that information. So I'm gonna contact the local news station (who showed up just as we left) and see what they can tell us. I really hope he made it; we were there for almost an hour and they still weren't even close to having him out. Albeit he was buried pretty good and obviously had serious neck and back injuries, I was still a little upset at how slow everyone was moving. Guess I am still used to the Marine Corps pace when something happens...
Old 05-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Banned

you did a great job, even on 1 hour of sleep
Old 05-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Banned

Awesome job man, no matter what the outcome is you should be very proud of yourself for helping that guy. If it wasn't for you, who knows how long that guy would have been there before someone noticed him. My hats of to you man!

~Nick
Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 AM

You will be blessed, awesome work