Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Snap-On, Matco, Mac Tools: Where to buy...cheaper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always buy Craftman tools. Why? They have a lifetime guarantee, never been questioned when 1 broke, but the main reason, It's always easier to find a Sears or OSH, then to find a Snap-on, Matco, or Mac truck.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Banned

well i am looking for a set of tools too. They have a Sears warehouse a short drive from my house and they have overstock tools for up to 75% off. 300 pc. set for $100 not bad for me.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottl
Not to offend any of the Craftsman fans, but what good is a life time warrenty on a tool if your going to the store all the time to get it replaced.
i rarely have to have any of my craftsman tools replaced under warranty. never said they were the best on earth, but they are the most cost-effective for most given the quality, price, and convenience factors.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:10 AM

I've used Craftsman for the last 7-8 years. The only times that I've broken a tool was when I misused it. And that was only a couple sockets.

I do need to buy a new torque wrench, and for that I'd like to get a Snap-On.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:35 AM

C'mon fellas, I didn't ask about Craftsman tools. That's what I have in the garage right now, and I've used Craftsman for 25 years, and yes they are good tools. And I have returned a ratchet, that I had for 15 years or so and did receive a brand new one, no questions asked. But I would never, EVER take one back after paying 25 cents for one. That's just downright unethical.

Is there anything wrong with a guy wanting some of "the best tools" made in the good ole USA...which probably isn't Craftsman.

Sure Snap-On costs more than Craftsman.....and the Cummins costs more than the Hemi. Most of us here have the Cummins last I checked.

Thanks to whoever had mentioned the pawn shop, as I hadn't thought of checking any. I did check out a swap meet this morning, only to find cheap brand names like "pitbull" and "powerbuilt" from the country that houses "the great wall of..."

This isn't supposed to be a tool war, just wanted to know if anyone knew where to get some good deals is all.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:52 AM

Dirteater,
If you know any mechanics that run Snap On or Matco, see if they get good prices, usually shops get a discount on tools, depending on how much they buy. They probably let you buy tools through there shop if you know them good enough.

Hovismo, no offense was meant, just lots of bad experiences with craftsman ratchets.

tim.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:22 AM

Only one brand comes to mind when I think quality and dependability.......Harbor Freight!!!

Wait, I was thinking budget (being a broke college kid). If one of their tools doesn't break in its first 3 uses, then it paid for itself!
Old 12-12-2005, 06:25 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If money is no object then, I guess I vote for Snap On. I don't own a single one of them, but a shop I welded for a few years back had 8 or 10 mechanics and most of those guys had Snap On.

I remember those fools talking about what they spent on the BOX alone. They were throwing out #'s up to and sometimes over $10,000 for an empty box. Sure, they hold their value, but give me a break. We all know waterloo makes their boxes.

The tools are nice and shinny, and they have some cool specialty tools.
Go for it, about $15,000 dollars later you could have a decent set.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:31 AM

If you really want to get the Mac and Snap-on and such, make friends with a student in Votech school. We get up to 53% from those places.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:24 AM

WOT,
Good idea, although I only know a couple of mechanics, I'll ask them if they can get Snap-On etc.

I know that Snap-On is overpriced as well as the other tool brands I mentioned, but they sure know they're the best and make you pay for it.

I don't want to go overboard with the stuff, just basics like ratchets and socket sets, and a few wrenches.

Maybe I should just talk myself into being content with my Craftsman, and sink the money into doing my my tranny up right, instead.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel4x4
Only one brand comes to mind when I think quality and dependability.......Harbor Freight!!!

Wait, I was thinking budget (being a broke college kid). If one of their tools doesn't break in its first 3 uses, then it paid for itself!

Wow, we're in the same boat! I worked nights in college (i graduate friday) at a stone quarry doing maintenace on semis, triaxles, and large quarry machinery. All my bigger stuff (big wrenches, 3/4" and 1" socket sets, pry bars, impact sockets) are Harbor freight. I swear, this stuff is just as tough as anything else, just not as shiny and "finished" looking. My harbour freight impact sockets (1/2" drive) stand up no problem to our 1" IR impact gun at 140psi. I will say thier bigger ratchets are sloppy in the gear mechanism, but they just don't break. I will never buy snap on or mac or any of that. Most of my tools are craftsman, but i have nothing against harbour freight stuff, (hand tools and such, anyways)
Old 12-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Banned

I bought a 4" angle grinder from Harbour Freight. It listed at $20. The guy let me have it for $9.99 tax exempt. I bought it to grind one area on my frame for my lift. I ended up using that thing to cut through u-joints, grind exhaust systems apart, my roommate (dodgediesel4x4) used it to shape wood, put abuse marks into wood, we've cut u-bolts in half with it, it was a tough sob. It finally died on me after a year of rough abuse. Best $9.99 I've ever spent in my life.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtEater
WOT,
Good idea, although I only know a couple of mechanics, I'll ask them if they can get Snap-On etc.

I know that Snap-On is overpriced as well as the other tool brands I mentioned, but they sure know they're the best and make you pay for it.

I don't want to go overboard with the stuff, just basics like ratchets and socket sets, and a few wrenches.

Maybe I should just talk myself into being content with my Craftsman, and sink the money into doing my my tranny up right, instead.
You'll get the idea of how this works, take a look at some of the prices on those "basic" Snap On tools and you'll be Bob Villa in a hurry.

I take a stab at one, you mentioned a 3/8 ratchet? How about Aprox. $75.00?
(not a set, a ratchet)

I can tell you that a wrench set, (no B.S here) will run you ATLEAST $250. That's $500 for 24 +/- pieces total, Std. & Metric.

Just looking at Craftsman stuff you will (should be) easily in the $1,000 range for a respectable mechanics set.
My 50" Box cost me over that without tool #1.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:03 PM

I use craftsman for almost everything in hand tools. I learned a long time ago while working in the shipyard that harbor frieght tools do the job just as well. I had craftsman at home and harbor freight on the ship. Working in the shipyard tools would get dropped into the ocean or bilge or some other dark deep recess. If they weren't dropped they were stolen. I always keep a cheap set of tools to use in the field and the harbor freight tools also have a lifetime warranty. You have to watch what to buy from there but most of what they have WILL get the job done and if you're on a budget your dollars will go farther. Unless you use your tools 8-12 hours a day you don't need the best. That can come later.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I bought a 4" angle grinder from Harbour Freight. It listed at $20. The guy let me have it for $9.99 tax exempt. I bought it to grind one area on my frame for my lift. I ended up using that thing to cut through u-joints, grind exhaust systems apart, my roommate (dodgediesel4x4) used it to shape wood, put abuse marks into wood, we've cut u-bolts in half with it, it was a tough sob. It finally died on me after a year of rough abuse. Best $9.99 I've ever spent in my life.

LOL I have one of those that I've been abusing for 6 years and it just won't die. We used to go through 3-4 makita grinders a month when I worked in the shipyard.($90.00 at the time) Once in awhile you can find a cheap tool that lasts forever. I'm thinking about buying another one before this one gives up. On the other side I bought a harbor freight hammerdrill because I was so happy with the grinder. About a dozen holes later it died on me.

Quick Reply: Snap-On, Matco, Mac Tools: Where to buy...cheaper?