Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

smokers

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:19 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife tried everything. Tapes, accupuncture, patches, cold turkey, etc.

Nothing worked UNTIL........chantix. Chantix worked so well I dont really have words to describe it. Within 1 month, no more smoking, no more nothing.

She smoked for 20 years.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used Zyban to quit.. I smoked 3 1/2 packs every day for 10 years. I remember laying in bed at night watching the news and realizing that I have only 2 smokes left. I would put on some clothes and go to the store and buy another pack to make sure I had enough to get me through the night. Yes, I would wake up at night to smoke. Zyban saved my life...
Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 PM

I want to quit so bad again.... I've quit a couple times cold turkey over the last year. i've got to stay away from people who smoke.

Smoke camel lights, use to dip copenhagen and mint skoal.

Started at 13 and now 27. I'm going to quit again for Lent like I did last year and hope I stick to it.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you guys get into it so young? We're you just pushed to try it and then got addicted or what?

becauase I'm 15 and I have no desire to do it, its so disgusting. noones even ever asked me or said anything to me about it, i guess i have good friends :dunno:
Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 AM

I remember Zig Ziggler saying, "Kissing someone who smokes is a lot like licking an ashtray".

Whatever it takes to quit----quit. I had a friend who smoked all her life. She ended up with a tube in her throat to breath and a hose to an oxygen bottle to keep her going. She would pull the tube out to suck on a cig. She couldn't stop on her own accord, but death did.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Chapter President

I've heard that D2.

I've been on again off again with smoking. Quit 9 years ago and started chewing kodiak. That got me off the smokes until about 1.5 years ago I started getting sick out of the blue, like food poisoning, throwing up and.....well, other things. Would feel like I was hit by a truck. Took at least a year to figure it out, thought it was milk and other things. Went to doc and got all internals checked out. Got this mysterious sickness and it lasted for 5 days. At the end of that time I had no desire to dip(had not done it or craved it in 5 days) so I quit. Never got sick again...

Unfortunately I picked up the sigs 6-8 months later been wishing I would get sick like above to get off these nasty things.

I hear if you keep trying to quit you will...the money you'd save, I spend 2.90 everyday on a pack of smokes that's $1058.50 a year!! I started back July 2008 so maybe I can quit before July 2009 and not spend that 1058.50

Good luck to those trying to quit and congrats to those who have!!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
How do you guys get into it so young? We're you just pushed to try it and then got addicted or what?

becauase I'm 15 and I have no desire to do it, its so disgusting. noones even ever asked me or said anything to me about it, i guess i have good friends :dunno:
You just dont realize how much older and cooler you would look.

Seriously though, I started when I was 13. Now at 34 somedays I enjoy, some days I hate it. However, since the kids were born I do not smoke in the house or in the car/truck, or when I eat. I actually hate the smell. With that being said I still manage to smoke about 2 packs p/day. The hardest part with quiting for me is giving up the one or more after I eat, or with coffee/beer ect.., . Does this chantell stuff eliminate that urge?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
I've heard that D2.

I've been on again off again with smoking. Quit 9 years ago and started chewing kodiak. That got me off the smokes until about 1.5 years ago I started getting sick out of the blue, like food poisoning, throwing up and.....well, other things. Would feel like I was hit by a truck. Took at least a year to figure it out, thought it was milk and other things. Went to doc and got all internals checked out. Got this mysterious sickness and it lasted for 5 days. At the end of that time I had no desire to dip(had not done it or craved it in 5 days) so I quit. Never got sick again...

Unfortunately I picked up the sigs 6-8 months later been wishing I would get sick like above to get off these nasty things.

I hear if you keep trying to quit you will...the money you'd save, I spend 2.90 everyday on a pack of smokes that's $1058.50 a year!! I started back July 2008 so maybe I can quit before July 2009 and not spend that 1058.50

Good luck to those trying to quit and congrats to those who have!!
Hey you know what.... I stopped dipping because of almost the same syptoms you described above. Pretty much the same story but I smoke now and plan to quit cold turkey next wed.

Weird.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son

It was something bad to do.... and just something to do really. You think it makes you look tough or hardcore in the back of your mind but really it just makes you look stupid if you really think about it.

Also I played football and most of us dipped.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I quit "Cold Turkey" three times.......
1st time for 6 months.
2nd time for 3 years.
Last time was 9 years ago.
Each time I just made up my mind that I WANTED to quit.
Two previous periods were broken when downing a few barley pops with the buddies, I "bummed" a smoke off someone.
Withing a week, I was buying a carton.

Now I know that I'm like a recovering alcoholic.
I not only know I can't just have one,....but in the past year, the smell of smoke has started making me ill,.... I can't stand the smell in my clothes after I've been around cigarette smoke.

Big change from someone who smoked 1 to 1 1/2 packs a day for almost 20 years.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:25 PM

Now for me, I'm for smoking. I enjoy smoking, it relaxes me. My 3 vices; nicotine-caffeine and pain killers (medical/handicap).

I make my own smokes. I buy ciggarette tobacco by the lb. and pipe tobacco in a 12oz. bag.

Back up some....I started smoking when I was in the military at 18yo., there was nothing else to do when out at sea. As yrs pass, prices went up of cource and when it was said to hit $1/pack, I said I'll quit. Easy to say......hard to do.

I met my future wife (10/1987) and she hated it. I actually quit for a week with no problems, then I happened to stay up all night and bummed a smoke from a buddy and that was the end of being a non-smoker.

Now, I'm a former drug user (86-87). It got to the point where I could not remember how to get to places I've been going for yrs. and when I crossed that bridge, it was rediculous-not remembering how to go to the mall........that was when I decided NO MORE. I quit without no support from no one and had no withdrawls.

I started making my own smokes around '04 to reduce the costs. I have a machine that stuffs the cig. tube (w/filter). I mix in pipe tobac. to give it a better aroma and adds a sweet flavor. It averages to $1.40/pack and around a half hour of my time.

I might add that with making my own that the tobacco has alot less chem. to preserve for shelf life. So, when I smoke less harmful. Yes I admit, smoking is harmful to a degree, but so is everything else we breathe.......
Old 02-22-2009, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
It was something bad to do.... and just something to do really. You think it makes you look tough or hardcore in the back of your mind but really it just makes you look stupid if you really think about it.

Also I played football and most of us dipped.
Yeah everyone here does that too. skoal or grizzly.

Like everyone on my football team. I did it for like a week but I was like this is nasty and does'nt make me look cool. So I just stopped.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Actually, I hated smoking as a kid, I was 28 before I ever smoked a single ciggy.

Bad boss, either kill him ( was no place to hide body ) or find a way to calm down.