Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

smokers

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smokers

Who smokes? What do you smoke? How much do you smoke? Do you want to quit? How did the former smokers quit?

2 packs of Marlboro mediums a day here

I've been thinkin about quittin latley, I've tried quittin twice cold turkey in the last year with very little success, I'll make it three days then blamo on the fourth day I feel like going on a murderous rampage.

Gimme some advice folks
Old 02-19-2009, 02:16 AM

Thumbs up

champex is a wonder drug, but expensive ask your doctor. i have tried a few drugs but this one works!!! by day 9 i was up and doing things for 5 hours before i thought about lighting up. day 13 i had no desire to smoke no cravings no stress. they say plan to quit day 9-12 but i said naw if it works it works... well it works
Old 02-19-2009, 05:45 AM

I used Chantix to quit dipping Copenhagen with great success. I dipped for 22 yrs. and tried numerous times to quit cold turkey. Chantix blocks the receptors in your brain that makes you crave nicotine.
I have been tobacco free now for over a year.

It does have some side effects though. Wicked nightmares were common for me and that is only when i could sleep. It also tore my stomach up if i did'nt take it with food.

If you have health insurance they will most likely pay for it. ( mine did ) but you do need a prescription. Also, find a quit site and listen to what the guys there have to say. I am in a quit group for smokeless tobacco www.killthecan.org. If anyone wants to quit smokeless come and join us...

Good luck on your quit and I'm pulling for ya
Old 02-19-2009, 07:05 AM

Quit october 1996, Smoked for 15years and in the end was smoking the second my feet hit the floor in the morning. I know some people who get up in the middle of the night to have a cig.

when I quit, I made my self smoke at all the times I normally wouldn't smoke (for a week) after that then I quit cold turkey, telling myself during the cravings that I hadn't really quit that I was taking a "break" from smoking. That way itdidn't seem so final. I also used the patch.for 2 weeks. I gained a litttle weight (25lbs) 6 months later is gone because your body will start correcting itself after not smoking for the first few days. Also don't sit around and watch TV, go to the gym or a walk or take up a sport. This helps more than you know.

On a side note, I took up Mountainbiking a week after I quit smoking, a year later I was competing in races. On the second year I was sponsored and rode for several teams that included travel in my 2 provinces.

DO it ! I have never slept better I never get colds my clothes don't stink and trust me you can smell a smoker a mile away. I can go places without planning (smoke breaks) I can fly in an airplane without worry or cravings.

If you can go a week without smoking you can call yourself an ex smoker and it get's a 100% easier.

Good luck my friend You will never look back.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 AM

I quit 2 years ago last Monday. I smoked for 35 years. I also used Chantix. I think the best advise I can give is, it is all in your mind, if you want to quit you will quit, if you have any doubts about quitting you will not be able to quit. Good Luck, You can do it!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:05 AM

I started when I was 14 and quit when I was 26, that was 1986, and there was not a whole lot of patches or meds on the market to help get thru it. After trying off and on for a couple years I ran out one day and with the price getting above the $1 mark I quit cold turkey, told myself it is in my mind to get it done and have not had one since. This March will be 23 years with out.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I smoke, and don't want to quit.

That's not a very fashionable thing to say today, but I enjoy a smoke.

Used to smoke 2-1/2-3 packs a day of Marlboro mediums. Started getting my smokes from Switzerland ( don't ask ), and found a whole world of different cigarettes. My supply got cut off, and when I tried to go back to the garbage they sell here, I was seriously considering quitting. I turned to MYO, and guess what? I do not smoke even a pack a day any more, and I do not want more. I smoke strictly Danish tobacco, not the stuff they sell for "cheap smokes".

I make no claims about European tobacco being better for your health, but for some reason, I smoke almost 2/3rds less, and my cough went away. I also believe that Europe has only about 1/3rd the lung cancer rate of the US.

So, until they make it Illegal, or I decide I want to quit, that is my solution.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I quit Copenhagan and filter less camels cold turkey.....one Uncle who couldn't walk three stairs with out sitting down.......3 Uncles you died of lung cancer within about a year (all in their fifties).....one Grandfather that died of cancer.........that was enough for me. I did have one Grandfather who died at 93, and who had smoked since he was 13. I did quit 35 some years ago, when drugs and patches weren't around. Nothing wrong with some help to get off the stuff.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gotta chime in here. I've been an on-again/off-again smoker for the past 21 years. In reality, the first three years don't really count (honestly...how much can a 13-15 year old kid with no job smoke?), so let's call it 18 years now. Had to quit when I was in Basic Training, and after graduation the trainees weren't allowed to smoke on-base. The first day we were allowed off base for anything I bought a pack of cigarettes and that first drag was HORRIBLE I looked at the pack and realized I'd just spend a couple bucks on 'em, so I might as well smoke the rest of 'em. This translated to about 3 packs of Marlboro Reds each and every day right after Technical training. Wake up in the morning, smack the alarm clock and grab a cigarette before I even rolled out of bed. Of course there was always an after meal smoke (dorms and chow halls weren't smoke free then), and a smoke always went good on a long drive, which usually meant anything long enough to smoke the whole cigarette. Wife Version 1(beta) hated it, even though I was still a 3pk/day smoker when we met and got married. When the price at the base commissary went from $8/carton to $18/carton I earnestly tried to quit, and I'd be fine for a few weeks. No rages, no headaches, no weird hunger urges, nothing. I was good right up until about day 20, and then I'd just NEED a cigarette. This usually led to a few a day, then only at work, then sometimes when she wasn't home (never indoors), and then she'd find out about it, feel like I was lying about it, and start harping again. I finally gave in to her incessant nagging, mostly just to shut her up, and saw a shrink. After three hours of discussion, he determined I wasn't chemically dependent upon nicotine, but used smoking as a crutch to give my brain a break from whatever problem I was dealing with at the moment. He also said I would probably smoke off and on the rest of my life because I also use it as a social outlet to break away from work, chat, catch-up with co-workers, and voice my grievances over the butt-can. Eight years and one wife upgrade later (the Beta version had horrible flaws in the program which resulted in severe incompatibility with my operating system), I now smoke between three and six cigarettes a week. I don't even buy my own pack anymore, I just buy a pack every other week and donate them to whichever smoking buddy I've been bumming from. I don't smoke at home, only at work. I don't smoke in front of the kids. I don't smoke in the vehicles. I don't smoke when I'm actively outdoors except for river fishing. There's just something nice about a good cigar when you're standing in a river catching rainbows

Pat, I completely understand how you feel. I like a cigarette every now and then. I know it's not healthy, and it's not right, but when I completely quit, I always end up going about a month clean, and then a month later I'm smoking at least 1/2 pack a day. Sometimes you just can't quit all together, and if the options are 20 cigarettes a day with a break of 20 days in between, or 3-6 smokes a week, I think I'm doing better in the long run the way it's going right now. YMMV, but that's my story...
Old 02-19-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I quit 8 years ago. I smoked for about 22 years. The gum helped me quit. I like the smell of cigars, but am afraid to get hooked on them. Had dad & brother die of cancer.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Fyi people.....SMOKING IS THE LEADING CAUSE OF BLADDER CANCER,they don't tell you that on the side of the pack.I am NOT preaching here,but,you might want to give that thought some very serious consideration.Go google cystoscopy and then make your decision.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:23 PM

I've smoked at least a pack a day for 10 years(not counting the 2 years prior) and I just turned 26 yesterday, the two main reasons I want to quit are for the health of it (all my granparents have died of some sort of smoking related illness) and the money side of it.

Like a few of the posters have said I'm not even on my feet yet when I light my first smoke of the day

If I keep busy it's not so bad but when somthin doesn't go right I get extremly angry( I already have a very short temperwithout compounding the problem)and tools or what ever is in my hand start flying

Thanks for the advice guys, oh and what are some good quit sites
Old 02-19-2009, 03:02 PM

I have been 15 days without a cig. I started smokin when i got my job as a power lineman, and at my peak, i would smoke 3.5 packs KOOL menthol full flavor a day. i quit smokin cold turkey. i was coming home from work one night and thought hey, people are dying every day from this stupid crap, so i tossed out about a pack and a half, and have been smokefree ever since. I did go on a rampage after a couple days, so i would do something to get my mind off smoking. the best advice i have to give is to find a hobby, or anything that takes your mind off smoking, and do it.
I am slowly begining to taste my food more, i dont hack every morning as much as i used to, and i feel a lot more active. think of all the money you could be spending on your truck, family or a toy. dont spend the money to kill yourself at a young age.
Wheelo
Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Remember....In order to smoke, you have to suck! lol

Do what ever it takes and get free of those nasty things.

Tobacco free here for some 30 years and PROUD of it.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:19 PM

Well I have a couple good hobbys already, I got plenty of stuff to do to the Dodge

I think if I can get past day 4 I'll be good to go

After this pack I'm done.

Quick Reply: smokers