Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Small Rant - Uneducated Employees (Why work somewhere you have no interest in?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're a contractor and you'd expect a "clerk"? to know if a certain item would meet code requirements? They don't train them to that level of competency. For 10 bucks an hour they have to listen to all kinds of remarks unsuitable for posting on this board. I'm an electrician, have been for far more years than I care to admit to, AND I know better than to expect that kid to know what the allowable current rating on a Square D breaker is and what size cable I have to upgrade to because it's over 130 feet to the device. Next time ask your building permits people, or better yet, ask the building codes inspector.

I passed this thread on to my son. He's a mid level manager in a Lowe's store located in the midwest. His remarks: Doesn't surprise him one bit. Yes, most of your comments are valid, HOWEVER, perhaps your expectations are too high. That young kid is probably working on his second job in his short career, the first being flipping burgers at the local greasy spoon. Knowledge level? They're lucky if they know where the departments are, so they can direct your attention.
He heartily agrees about the older clerk personnel. His store as well others in the Lowe's empire go out of their way to hire "experienced" personnel to staff their stores. Many of these "experienced" people have worked for many years in their areas of experitise, but for whatever reason, are unable to continue working full time, especially in the construction trades. In my own case, it won't be too many more years, but after back surgery, other ailments, well, I just won't be able to keep up the pace. My knowledge hasn't diminished though. Poor wages?? Well, blame big business trying to keep prices competitive and to increase their personal profits.

How did you get your last bid? The buddy system or did you sharpen your pencil and trimmed the bid here and there to ace out your nearest competitor? If you're paying your employees what they're truly worth and deserve, you are to be congratulated. However, not everyone thinks that way.

Let's take this conversation one step higher. I deal with speciality vendors who provide the materials in my trade. Now, they're suppose to be the experts. Right? W-e-l-l.... Sometimes the counter person gets the order wrong, or the guy who loads up the truck misread how many feet of conduit I ordered (or heaven forbid, sent aluminum instead of Galvanized conduit).

I don't do Residential work (outside the family) for a very specific reason. Customers. The husband wants one thing, the wife another and then heaven help me, they've got an interior designer.

Oh, one more item my son passed along. If you see the person running around in your department of concern and the badge says VENDOR, ask them your guestion. They'll be more than glad to sell you their product but the chances are very likely that it would be the right product anyway, but at least, the chances are they're likely to be more knowledgeable.

Sorry for the length, but perhaps you'll have a nice day. Enjoy it while you can. Old age sneaks up like a thief in the night and robs you of your youthful vitality. Then you learn to pick your battles. Just isn't enough time to slay all the dragons out there.

~Dave
Old 07-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if someone is selling a product, dosent matter what it is, they should know it, you know if i dont know the first dang thing about something and im selling it, i want to learn about the product, why, cause i dont want to look like an ***. if someone is selling "dangerous" stuff (electrical, power tools) and they tell someone something wrong and they het mamed or killed, its the stores fault. period. i have sold tires, pools, chemicals, spas, pizza and vegetables, i didnt particularly care for most of those jobs but ****, i knew the product in and out, top to bottom, left to right. im 22 just so you know.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by NWDave
You're a contractor and you'd expect a "clerk"? to know if a certain item would meet code requirements? They don't train them to that level of competency. For 10 bucks an hour they have to listen to all kinds of remarks unsuitable for posting on this board. I'm an electrician, have been for far more years than I care to admit to, AND I know better than to expect that kid to know what the allowable current rating on a Square D breaker is and what size cable I have to upgrade to because it's over 130 feet to the device. Next time ask your building permits people, or better yet, ask the building codes inspector.

I passed this thread on to my son. He's a mid level manager in a Lowe's store located in the midwest. His remarks: Doesn't surprise him one bit. Yes, most of your comments are valid, HOWEVER, perhaps your expectations are too high. That young kid is probably working on his second job in his short career, the first being flipping burgers at the local greasy spoon. Knowledge level? They're lucky if they know where the departments are, so they can direct your attention.
He heartily agrees about the older clerk personnel. His store as well others in the Lowe's empire go out of their way to hire "experienced" personnel to staff their stores. Many of these "experienced" people have worked for many years in their areas of experitise, but for whatever reason, are unable to continue working full time, especially in the construction trades. In my own case, it won't be too many more years, but after back surgery, other ailments, well, I just won't be able to keep up the pace. My knowledge hasn't diminished though. Poor wages?? Well, blame big business trying to keep prices competitive and to increase their personal profits.

How did you get your last bid? The buddy system or did you sharpen your pencil and trimmed the bid here and there to ace out your nearest competitor? If you're paying your employees what they're truly worth and deserve, you are to be congratulated. However, not everyone thinks that way.

Let's take this conversation one step higher. I deal with speciality vendors who provide the materials in my trade. Now, they're suppose to be the experts. Right? W-e-l-l.... Sometimes the counter person gets the order wrong, or the guy who loads up the truck misread how many feet of conduit I ordered (or heaven forbid, sent aluminum instead of Galvanized conduit).

I don't do Residential work (outside the family) for a very specific reason. Customers. The husband wants one thing, the wife another and then heaven help me, they've got an interior designer.

Oh, one more item my son passed along. If you see the person running around in your department of concern and the badge says VENDOR, ask them your guestion. They'll be more than glad to sell you their product but the chances are very likely that it would be the right product anyway, but at least, the chances are they're likely to be more knowledgeable.

Sorry for the length, but perhaps you'll have a nice day. Enjoy it while you can. Old age sneaks up like a thief in the night and robs you of your youthful vitality. Then you learn to pick your battles. Just isn't enough time to slay all the dragons out there.

~Dave
One quick remark: I didn't mean I wanted the kid to know if it was code...

I needed to know if it was the right epoxy... its made specifically for these 3/4" studs (all-thread) I ordered from Home Depot...they even make a special caulking gun for it @ $110

You have to know your product... especially if I don't...

So if I go in there wanting to know if these 1/2" staples work with my Porter Cable stapler, should they know that?

Or should I worry that its his/her second job and they may be inexperienced?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:08 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Bullet
One quick remark: I didn't mean I wanted the kid to know if it was code...

I needed to know if it was the right epoxy... its made specifically for these 3/4" studs (all-thread) I ordered from Home Depot...they even make a special caulking gun for it @ $110

You have to know your product... especially if I don't...

So if I go in there wanting to know if these 1/2" staples work with my Porter Cable stapler, should they know that?

Or should I worry that its his/her second job and they may be inexperienced?

You are setting yourself up for dissapointment by expecting the young clerk to know about using building materials and special order products. If you buy something because they said it was right for you, and it's not, it becomes your problem. Are you really willing to base your reputation and quality of work on a Home Depot clerks knowledge. Or are you looking for someone to blame because they should know and you don't?

Your example of staples is a good one. Just ask them where the staples are and then find the ones you want. Who knows your stapler better than you and if you are out of staples it means you just ran about 10,000 of them through the gun. So who knows better than you what they look like?

Get real. You have to know your job and make the ultimate decisions about your business yourself. Doing research is essential, and there are far better ways to research materials and techniques than asking a disinterested clerk. Or even an interested one. Simply sayng that they should know their product is no excuse. You should know your needs and the products you use. That's how you can justify charging someone for your professional services. Or is your reputation being built on the Home Depot's employees knowledge?

John
Old 07-22-2007, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wetspirit
You are setting yourself up for dissapointment by expecting the young clerk to know about using building materials and special order products. If you buy something because they said it was right for you, and it's not, it becomes your problem. Are you really willing to base your reputation and quality of work on a Home Depot clerks knowledge. Or are you looking for someone to blame because they should know and you don't?

Your example of staples is a good one. Just ask them where the staples are and then find the ones you want. Who knows your stapler better than you and if you are out of staples it means you just ran about 10,000 of them through the gun. So who knows better than you what they look like?

Get real. You have to know your job and make the ultimate decisions about your business yourself. Doing research is essential, and there are far better ways to research materials and techniques than asking a disinterested clerk. Or even an interested one. Simply sayng that they should know their product is no excuse. You should know your needs and the products you use. That's how you can justify charging someone for your professional services. Or is your reputation being built on the Home Depot's employees knowledge?

John
You entirely missed the point...

This has nothing to do with my reputation.

My business or anything remotely important for that matter...

I'll just leave it as I'm wrong and Home Depot employees don't have to perform their job to my expectations...

To anyone else reading and follows what I'm saying, here is a Cliff's Notes Version:

A: This is a special request made by my customer. He wanted this new fastener system on his building.

B: I meet with an engineer who shows me how to install said fasteners to pass inspection.

C: I special order studs, bolts and washers from Home Depot.

D: Home Depot says that there is a SPECIAL epoxy that is to be used with the studs and they sell it along with the caulking gun.

E: I pick up said items and they are the correct items.

F: I ran out of epoxy and went to Home Depot to order it - the employee has no idea what I'm talking about even after seeing my special order tag.

G: I end up having to wait on a manager to get me the right epoxy since the employee I talk to is "there for the paycheck"

H: Said epoxy was not on the shelf, but it was in the computer and the manager entered the code on the special order sheet to find it.

I: This isn't a big deal, but I'm getting read into like I'm doing something wrong...
Old 07-22-2007, 10:28 AM

This has long been a big annoyance for me. I used to be one of those who only shopped at small local stores to support small businesses. I would never use the self check line at the grocery store, preferring to support the employees.

But after getting the same crummy "service" over the last few years no matter where I go, now I go where it's cheap, like Home Depot, and I have learned to expect that almost no one knows anything about what they do, and hardly anyone cares either. Customer service is indeed a lost art that no one even bothers to teach anymore.

And you can only blame the employees so much. They are being paid the absolute minimum that can be gotten away with, and the message from the top is that the only thing that matters is profits for the corporation and following whatever nitpicking corporate protocol is written in the employee hand book.

It is a sad state of affairs for sure. But I sidestep the problem as much as I can by learning all I can about my project and what I need to accomplish it before ever going in the store. I know that the staff will be of almost no help even if I am lucky, and rude as well if I'm not. Once in a great while, I am pleasantly surprised when I encounter a staff person who is of the "old school" who maybe knows their product, or if they don't, they know how to be polite and try to help.

This goes for hardware stores, auto parts stores, grocery stores, you name it.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:15 PM

Here is the real problem. This may have been said, I didn't read through all the posts. Most places like Home depot, Lowes etc. get the lowest price employee they can. Truth is, most people won't pay for experience. Something that really tees me off is the DIY'ers expect someone else to show them how to do something that may take years of experience to learn. I am a Commercial/Industrial electrician and can't tell you how many friends or aquaintences I have had to bail out because they tried to save a buck (which I understand) by doing it themselves. Most of those I have known at places like Home depot who knew what they were doing didn't stay there long. It just doesn't pay enough to put up with the B.S.(or so I've been told). If you go to a place like HD expecting to become a professional, get real. If you are a professional going to HD asking installation questions maybe you aren't really a professional or know what you are doing. This is one reason I spent 5 years in school and 8000 hours of training to become a Journeyman Electrician. Come to think of it, I spent many hours training in automotive and aircraft repair and maintenance to become a mechanic ( before I got a wild hair to become an Electrician). So don't expect someone at HD to solve your problems, go learn it the right way or hire a professional.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:20 PM

One more thing, ignorance doesn't give them the right to have an attitude. I understand the frustration dealing with some employees. Just remember, you don't go to McDonalds to get Lobster. If service is what you want then you have to pay for it.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:22 PM

Problem is, even those of us who are willing to pay for good customer service are having a harder and harder time finding any place that even offers it...
Old 07-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Muted User

my dealings are with the Pro/Contractor desk, i know all the guys and they are making 15+ to set behind a desk and talk to contractors, they dont even pull the orders, they got lower paid employees for that, and the stuff never gets pulled on time.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:14 PM

Many people today go to work for a paycheck, nothing else. They are not interested in helping you or giving just a little bit of effort, even if it will save you days. That is the way it is.
I bust my *** at work, always have, always will. There are people above and below me that will just not do more that the absolute minimum to not get fired. We have one person that has missed 30 days of work in the last 6 months and why they still have a job is beyond me. Customer complaints are so regular that they are dismissed. When it starts at the top and slides down hill, it doesn't get any better at the bottom.
I no longer go to any chain store and expect to be helped by the employees. That is sad. The fact that I help any other customers that are in the store that I am in, should be totally unacceptable to the store I am in. They just see it as one less thing they have to do before they go home.

Pathetic.