Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Small Engine Help?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small Engine Help?!?

I have a tiller with an 8HP B&S engine. This thing is real old and had some pretty grungy looking buildup so I pulled out my power washer a couple of weekends ago and cleaned it all up nice. Started it up and ran it back in the shed no problem.

Went out Saturday to fire it up again and got nothing. Turns out that I now have no spark??? The plug wire will shock you good if you grab it and pull the rope. Wire itself, not the end that hooks on the plug. So I think that there is a ground problem? There is a grounding block? just below the carburator along with all the throttle linkages. Tried to clean that up, but still not having any luck. Anyone have any suggestions besides throwing it in the ditch? (already thought of that one)
Old 06-19-2006, 05:06 PM

Nothing as far as ideas?
Old 06-19-2006, 05:28 PM

From the way I read your post it sounds like you need a new plug wire assy. If you can grab the wire itself and get popped but get nothing at the end where it actually connects to the plug ... maybe you got some water / corrosion in there preventing the flow of electricity. You think ??

I'd replace it anyway ... if it is as old as you say. You want the whole spark getting to the plug.

Just my .02 worth,
PISTOL
Old 06-19-2006, 09:26 PM

I am going to have to side with Pistolwhipt.
Here are my views, I would say that you are getting good ground due to the fact that the plug screws into the engine block itself.
Good Luck!
Wheelo
Old 06-20-2006, 01:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, wire trouble.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:06 AM

That should be a braided wire core in a rubber insulator jacket. Remove plug clip from end, cut back some insulation and re-fasten the plug clip. Sometimes there's a little metal spike of sorts that punches down into braided wire and makes connection with sparkplug clip. Easy fix at home either way, probably w/o buying new parts. Some plug wires are epoxied into the coil and are near impossible to remove, but rarely fail at that end of wire. It's usually the plug end that dies. Also make sure that your kill switch/wire isn't accidently shorted to the block.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would also pull the cover off and take a piece of sandpaper to the out side of the flywheel, there is a magneto on there that will get surface rust on it especially since you washed it . You might be getting enough to feel it in your hand but not to fire the plug. Just my .02
Old 06-20-2006, 06:59 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ftltmp
I would also pull the cover off and take a piece of sandpaper to the out side of the flywheel, there is a magneto on there that will get surface rust on it especially since you washed it . You might be getting enough to feel it in your hand but not to fire the plug. Just my .02
This method has worked for me a few times.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:52 AM

Thanks guys. We did pull the cover off the other night and scratched up the flywheel good. Then I fell for the oldest trick in the book. . . (hold this wire, I don't feel anything) Then my brother fried me. I will try redoing the wire end, but I think it might be the whole plug assembly as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:14 AM

the older briggs had points(behind the flywheel). if the wire checks out go there, water in the points cover can do some strange things. there is a replacement briggs coil(magentron) available that elimeates the points.
Clark