Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 04:55 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Herb you can have all the sleeping quarters on a trailer you want, just in most states they can not be occupied while moving. Technically it would not be a sleeper. A sleeper is accessable from the cab of the truck.
Intersting. You make a point, otherwise all TT's and horsey trailers with changing/sleeping quaters would be illegal too. I would hope the not occupying while moving part is obvious to most people.

Herb,
Did I read right, this is a Flatbed?
Can't say I've ever seen that.........
Old 08-05-2005, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[IMG]46' flatbed gooseneck[/IMG]
Old 08-06-2005, 05:00 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by crobtex
Some horse trailers and race haulers are commericial and would fall under DOT regs.
I was told by the local DOT office that any truck or trailer being used for commmercial purposes( defined as intended to make money whether profitable or not) requires a DOT number and such....
The example they used was a horse trailer being used to take a horse to a show where it could win money... they did point out that they dont enforce this, but it IS the regs....
When I was hauling horses for folks on a contract basis, I was required to register with teh DOT, get all teh inspections ect....
I had a sleeping area in the trailerand nothing was ever mentioned about it when I was inspected or when I stopped at the weigh stations while going 'tween states.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally posted by P.J
Intersting. You make a point, otherwise all TT's and horsey trailers with changing/sleeping quaters would be illegal too. I would hope the not occupying while moving part is obvious to most people.

Herb,
Did I read right, this is a Flatbed?
Can't say I've ever seen that.........
I would hope the not occupying while moving part is obvious to most people.
Isn't it legal to occupy a traver trailer while it is moving if it is a 5th. wheel and there is a communications device from the cab to the trailer?
I know I have seen transit busses that are a tractor and the coach is a 5th. wheel being pulled behind.
Or is somebody exempt?
Jim.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:42 AM
Chapter President

Herb,
We used to deliver farm equipment with an L190 and a 50' flatbed. Being that long, some of the country roads we had to use were pretty hard to negoiate. Have you had the same problems?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:15 AM

from the D.O.T. manual of regulations

b)(1) A sleeper berth must not be installed in or on a semitrailer or a full trailer other than a house trailer.

Regulations

§ 393.76 Sleeper berths.

(a) Dimensions --

(a)(1) Size. A sleeper berth must be at least the following size:

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Height
Length Width measured measured on measured from centerline on highest Date of
installation on motor of centerline point of vehicle longitudinal of top of axis
transverse mattress (inches) axis (inches) (inches) \1\ ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before January 1, 1953............ 72 18 18 After December 31, 1952, and 75 21
21 before October 1, 1975........... After September 30, 1975.......... 75 24
24 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ \1\
In the case of a sleeper berth which utilizes an adjustable mechanical suspension
system, the required clearance can be measured when the suspension system is adjusted
to the height to which it would settle when occupied by a driver.

(a)(2) Shape. A sleeper berth installed on a motor vehicle on or after January 1, 1953 must be of generally rectangular shape, except that the horizontal corners and the roof corners may be rounded to radii not exceeding 101/2 inches.

(a)(3) Access. A sleeper berth must be constructed so that an occupant's ready entrance to, and exit from, the sleeper berth is not unduly hindered.

(b) Location.

(b)(1) A sleeper berth must not be installed in or on a semitrailer or a full trailer other than a house trailer.

(b)(2) A sleeper berth located within the cargo space of a motor vehicle must be securely compartmentalized from the remainder of the cargo space. A sleeper berth installed on or after January 1, 1953 must be located in the cab or immediately adjacent to the cab and must be securely fixed with relation to the cab.

(c) Exit from the berth.

(c)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, there must be a direct and ready means of exit from a sleeper berth into the driver's seat or compartment. If the sleeper berth was installed on or after January 1, 1963, the exit must be a doorway or opening at least 18 inches high and 36 inches wide. If the sleeper berth was installed before January 1, 1963, the exit must have sufficient area to contain an ellipse having a major axis of 24 inches and a minor axis of 16 inches.

(c)(2) A sleeper berth installed before January 1, 1953 must either:

(c)(2)(i) Conform to the requirements of paragraph (c)(1) of this section; or

(c)(2)(ii) Have at least two exits, each of which is at least 18 inches high and 21 inches wide, located at opposite ends of the vehicle and useable by the occupant without the assistance of any other person.

(d) Communication with the driver. A sleeper berth which is not located within the driver's compartment and has no direct entrance into the driver's compartment must be equipped with a means of communication between the occupant and the driver. The means of communication may consist of a telephone, speaker tube, buzzer, pull cord, or other mechanical or electrical device.

(e) Equipment. A sleeper berth must be properly equipped for sleeping. Its equipment must include:

(e)(1) Adequate bedclothing and blankets; and

(e)(2) Either:

(e)(2)(i) Springs and a mattress; or

(e)(2)(ii) An innerspring mattress; or

(e)(2)(iii) A cellular rubber or flexible foam mattress at least four inches thick; or

(e)(2)(iv) A mattress filled with a fluid and of sufficient thickness when filled to prevent "bottoming-out" when occupied while the vehicle is in motion.

(f) Ventilation. A sleeper berth must have louvers or other means of providing adequate ventilation. A sleeper berth must be reasonably tight against dust and rain.

(g) Protection against exhaust and fuel leaks and exhaust heat. A sleeper berth must be located so that leaks in the vehicle's exhaust system or fuel system do not permit fuel, fuel system gases, or exhaust gases to enter the sleeper berth. A sleeper berth must be located so that it will not be overheated or damaged by reason of its proximity to the vehicle's exhaust system.

(h) Occupant restraint. A motor vehicle manufactured on or after July 1, 1971, and equipped with a sleeper berth must be equipped with a means of preventing ejection of the occupant of the sleeper berth during deceleration of the vehicle. The restraint system must be designed, installed, and maintained to withstand a minimum total force of 6,000 pounds applied toward the front of the vehicle and parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle.

[39 FR 14711, Apr. 26, 1974; 39 FR 17233, May 14, 1974, as amended at 53 FR 49401, Dec. 7, 1988]
Old 08-07-2005, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by crobtex
Herb,
We used to deliver farm equipment with an L190 and a 50' flatbed. Being that long, some of the country roads we had to use were pretty hard to negoiate. Have you had the same problems?
More than once !! we now inform our customers that if they can not accomadate our trailer size in and out of their location that they must meet us at a nearby location to accept their carriages
Old 08-07-2005, 11:36 AM

If you were running a team operation then no, sleeping/living area in trailer would not qualify as "sleeper" and your partner could not log sleeper berth time. If you are running single then trailer quarters would be same as getting a motel and logged as off duty, not driving.
Clark
Old 08-07-2005, 11:46 AM

b)(1) A sleeper berth must not be installed in or on a semitrailer or a full trailer other than a house trailer.
??????????
Old 08-07-2005, 04:37 PM

have been trying to locate a manufactured flatbed on the internet with no luck with sleeping qurters built on. anyone ever seen one ?
Old 08-07-2005, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by herb

??????????
Maybe it's the definition of sleeper berth that hangs things up. Enclosed racecar trailers with living quarters goose neck or 5th wheel are real popular with racers...saves $70 to $110 a day motel bill and if you're at a weeklong event like INDY, you really pay for the thing fast.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:01 PM

Will have some photos of my new "feild office" on the trailer tommorrow. Went together pretty good. Looking into a direcway internet satalite system now. I already have it in my home office at a cost of 59.00 a month. Am operating 6 machines off it so is pretty good investment
The rv system is 99.00 a month , plus equipment. Anyone have internet system on an Rv? I found a satalite dish that when installed ,automatically finds and locks in on satalite when you are stopped .
Hate to pay that much per month for as little use as it will get but i need to get online at nite when i am on the road for sales and to check this forum and make sure the conservatives here are not beating up on us too bad

Old 08-15-2005, 08:23 PM

What about the " contractor special " DC is supposed to come out with ? Generator already installed and under warranty would be sweet !! Mighty impressive trailer behind that beast ,you ever bend axles with that triple setup ?
Old 08-15-2005, 08:34 PM

never have had any axle problems but 99% of my driving is going down straight interstates and the horse buggys i transport seldom go over 1200 lbs each .
my biggest obstacle is wind resistance and fuel prices
Old 08-18-2005, 01:34 PM

just added photos ----1st thread